Does anyone know about a Cogent fiber cut in Birmingham, AL? We have a customer who?s been down for 30+ hours and Cogent has given us a run around. Their updates have been conflicting. We have someone asking for updates every 4-5 hours and every update is different from the last. Sometimes they tell us it?s fixed (when it?s not) then they tell us it?s being spliced, then they tell us a crew is in route. They are all just random responses. After 30+ hours I can?t imagine what they are doing that they have been on site splicing this long. They can?t tell us where it is other than it?s a a 3rd party vendor they are relying on.

Does anyone have some insight on what?s really going on?

-richey
Re: Cogent Fiber Cut Birmingham? [ In reply to ]
Yeah I got you, there are cut(s) in and around the Alabama Power HQ/6th Ave N in downtown that were affecting Cogent. We were still neighbored BGP with Cogent but they were not adverting any routes. Started at about midnight central on Wed night Thursday morning for us.

We do currently have routes in BGP from Cogent. Not sure if that was resolved yesterday or this morning for us.

Jason Grider
Network Engineer ? ASA (AS 3464)
Alabama Supercomputer Authority

Re: Cogent Fiber Cut Birmingham? [ In reply to ]
According to our guy who was on call at the time that time seems about right. I?m wondering what?s going on that they would have several cuts on the same ring at the same time that?s taken this long to get repaired. We did hear in the last update that they had engineers from other nearby markets on site as part of the restoration. I?m wondering if this was something that was malicious or just really bad timing.

-richey