Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
Same problem in Texas

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:54 AM Alex Castro via Outages <outages@outages.org>
wrote:

> Ok out of New York, thus far.
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:45 AM John Cornelius via Outages <
> outages@outages.org> wrote:
>
>> Getting reports of issues with Google DNS. Can anyone confirm similar
>> issues?
>> Location: Kentucky.

*John Steele*
Ennis Independent School District
Network Administrator
972-872-7055
john.steele@ennis.k12.tx.us
Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
Okay in southern Illinois.
Butch Wilson
Director of Technology
Mt. Vernon Township High School #201
618-244-3700 Ext: 1810

MCSE/MCSA/Security+/
Google Education Trainer
Google Certified Associate - G Suite Administrator

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:41 AM John Cornelius via Outages <
outages@outages.org> wrote:

> Getting reports of issues with Google DNS. Can anyone confirm similar
> issues?

When you say "reports of issues", can you be any more specific?
Unable to ping the address?
Not getting any answers?
Getting answers without the AD bit?
Getting slow answers?
Getting wrong answers?
Only answering over TCP/UDP/<something>?
Only getting answers to some types of queries?
Some set of names not resolving (if so, which?)?
Older names in cache?
A name was changed and it doesn't seem to be picked up yet?

"issues" is a very broad term...

> Location: Kentucky.

The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.
-- E. W. Dijkstra
Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 09:36:28AM -0500,
a message of 32 lines which said:

> Getting reports of issues with Google DNS. Can anyone confirm similar
> issues?

IPv4? IPv6? IPv4 seems to work from many places, according to the RIPE
Atlas probes.

> Location: Kentucky.

The access provider is a more important information.

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
Boston checking in, All good here.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:02 AM Warren Kumari via Outages <
outages@outages.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:41 AM John Cornelius via Outages <
> outages@outages.org> wrote:
>
>> Getting reports of issues with Google DNS. Can anyone confirm similar
>> issues?
>>

> When you say "reports of issues", can you be any more specific?
> Unable to ping the address?
> Not getting any answers?
> Getting answers without the AD bit?
> Getting slow answers?
> Getting wrong answers?
> Only answering over TCP/UDP/<something>?
> Only getting answers to some types of queries?
> Some set of names not resolving (if so, which?)?
> Older names in cache?
> A name was changed and it doesn't seem to be picked up yet?
>
> "issues" is a very broad term...

>> Location: Kentucky.

> The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
> complexities of his own making.
> -- E. W. Dijkstra

Sincerely,

Jason W Kuehl
Cell 920-419-8983
jason.w.kuehl@gmail.com
Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
Ok out of AR

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
It does seem to be unrelated to Google DNS at this point.
We noticed, as Chris Monk stated, large amounts of packet loss on our
Centurylink connection out of Nashville TN. Temporarily disabling the
connection and diverting traffic out of our other uplinks has resolved the
issues we were having until Centurylink connection can be brought back up.

Thanks for the responses!

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
I monitor DNS lookup latency to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and I am not
seeing anything unusual or failures from here in the UK (AS13037).
Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:06 AM Stephane Bortzmeyer via Outages <
outages@outages.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 09:36:28AM -0500,
> John Cornelius via Outages <outages@outages.org> wrote
> a message of 32 lines which said:
>
> > Getting reports of issues with Google DNS. Can anyone confirm similar
> > issues?
>
> IPv4? IPv6? IPv4 seems to work from many places, according to the RIPE
> Atlas probes.
>
> > Location: Kentucky.
>
> The access provider is a more important information.

Indeed. This page has some useful diagnostics, including things like
traceroute:
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/troubleshooting

Kentucky or Texas doesn't really help narrow down what is likely network
provider issues.

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
Not seeing any issues in MN

john.steele@ennis.k12.tx.us<mailto:john.steele@ennis.k12.tx.us>
Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
Oops, that’s cloudflare. Same thing though on Google

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
And, more importantly, 'Google DNS' -- specifically Google customer resolver DNS, the stuff they provide at 8.8.8.8 -- is generally IP anycast, so depending on your geographic and network location, you are hitting different servers when you go to that IP.

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
For those that don't know this, if you want to know which cluster you're
hitting, you can run:

$ dig o-o.myaddr.l.google.com -t txt +short @8.8.8.8
"172.253.192.142"
"edns0-client-subnet x.x.x.0/24"

That will return the ipv4/ipv6 address of the server that handled your
request.  To get a list of what subnets map to which locations (airport
codes), you can run:

$ dig -t TXT +short locations.publicdns.goog. @8.8.8.8

snip... "172.253.192.0/24 cbf ..snip

cbf = Council Bluffs, IA

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
I feel like I need to say something and I may be out of place, but please
don't use this list as part of your initial troubleshooting.

If nobody has reported it already with something as widely used as Google
DNS, double check your assumptions, take the extra 5 minutes before
alarming thousands of people that something may be wrong with a service the
entire internet uses.

My 2 cents, I have no authority here but I usually take emails from this
list seriously and I'd like to keep it that way.

Re: Google DNS [ In reply to ]
You aren't out of place, you just beat me to it. :-)

I think that was well put.

Cheers,
-- jr '<admin>' a