Timing is particularly bad as a couple of provinces have opened COVID vaccinations up to new age groups as of this week and pharmacies are relying on text and calls to notify availability.

Coverage:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/04/19/rogers-customers-experience-canada-wide-network-outage-emergency-services-and-physicians-warn-of-disruptions.html

 -Rich

Rich Lafferty
rich@lafferty.ca / 647-377-1165
Toronto, Canada
http://www.lafferty.ca
Re: Canadawide Rogers Wireless outage [ In reply to ]
Ruhroh someone forgot to add a few 1110110011's to the provider line again eh ?????

--
J. Hellenthal

The fact that there's a highway to Hell but only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic volume.

Re: Canadawide Rogers Wireless outage [ In reply to ]
I feel kind of weird sending an update that just says “yep, still out”, but it’s uncommon for a national wireless carrier to have a multi-hour outage, so:

Yep, still out.

Further coverage as we approach the *eleventh* hour:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-outage-1.5992954

Since this is consumer wireless there are no NOC updates etc. and Rogers has not been forthcoming with details.

(One side element I find interesting: A lot of reporting has mentioned that the outage is most prevalent in [list of major Canadian cities] “according to downdetector.com”, but since DownDetector reflects absolute # of user reports, I suspect that is only saying that major cities have more people in them.)

Re: Canadawide Rogers Wireless outage [ In reply to ]
In the last couple of days we've been in a moderate geomagnetic storm.
They're known to disrupt communication systems, especially at higher
latitudes. Although Rich's above article mentions the outage due to an
update, it's another piece to the puzzle to watch while outages happen.

You can view the current level here:
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/planetary-k-index

Re: Canadawide Rogers Wireless outage [ In reply to ]
Starting to see anecdotal recovery now in Vancouver, BC.

Re: Canadawide Rogers Wireless outage [ In reply to ]
Seems to be a software upgrade gone bad

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/a-message-from-jorge-fernandes-chief-technology-officer-at-rogers/

Starting to see some recovery in Ontario outside of Toronto. Ottawa to
east of Toronto, and Waterloo, Hamilton and London seem to have
recovered as well as my one site in Calgary AB that I monitor.

    ---Mike