This email, including any attachments, may contain confidential
information. If it has been sent to you in error, please reply to advise
the sender of the error and then immediately delete the email.
Re: DNS resolution in Europe [ In reply to ]
> On Mar 17, 2021, at 6:47 PM, Jason via Outages <outages@outages.org> wrote:
>
> We are getting alerted that URLs are not reachable from London, UK.
>
> I see in /r/sysadmin a thread re: Google's DNS, but it might be larger than Google to include Cloudflare and others.
>
> Any confirmation here?

Quad9’s two London locations are fine.

Is there some reason you’re trying to use Google for DNS? That seems like a “doctor it hurts when I do _this_” kinda thing.

-Bill
Re: DNS resolution in Europe [ In reply to ]
...what URLs???

Josh Luthman
24/7 Help Desk: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

Re: DNS resolution in Europe [ In reply to ]
Not seeing any issues from Virgin Media Business in the UK, and also not
seeing any issues from XS4ALL Internet B.V. in the Netherlands at least.

Kind regards,

Tom

Re: DNS resolution in Europe [ In reply to ]
I know Google is having an outage on their cloud networking platform. Looks
like it affected lots of other google services.

https://status.cloud.google.com/incident/cloud-networking/21006

Haven't heard of others though but I'm sure there might be some relation.

Re: DNS resolution in Europe [ In reply to ]
Google 8.8.8.8 (next hop after 172.253.71.199) dropped out of pings from my AS

16:28:21-16:28:53
17:42:06-17:43:13

which is very unusual.

1.1.1.1 and other internet destinations were fine at the time so sounds like a google problem, we peer directly with AS15169 at telehouse west I believe.

From BT, 8.8.8.8 appears behind 172.253.65.211, and no loss at all (well 1 lost packet at 12:09:06 GMT)

No DNS lookup issues, but even if 8.8.8.8 was being used and became unreachable, dns would fail over to at alternate one.