Looks like usno.navy.mil DNS is having issues. This is causing NTP requests
to the atomic clock servers there to fail when using DNS names, and their
website's DNS is also not resolving for me.
Re: US Naval Observatory DNS failures [ In reply to ]
Their automated number (202 area code, dont have it on me atm) hasn't been
taking calls recently.

Brian Ladd
Customer Care Manager
Voiceopia Communications

Re: US Naval Observatory DNS failures [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 10:17:47PM -0600,
a message of 35 lines which said:

> Looks like usno.navy.mil DNS is having issues.

Some of the authoritative name servers for navy.mil reply NXDOMAIN:

% dig @ns1.csd.disa.mil NS usno.navy.mil.

; <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1-Debian <<>> @ns1.csd.disa.mil NS usno.navy.mil.
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags: do; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;usno.navy.mil. IN NS

;; Query time: 159 msec
;; SERVER: 152.229.110.235#53(152.229.110.235)
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 21 13:18:51 CET 2019
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 42

Re: US Naval Observatory DNS failures [ In reply to ]
Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> wrote:
> Matt Harris <matt@netfire.net> wrote:
>
> > Looks like usno.navy.mil DNS is having issues.
>
> Some of the authoritative name servers for navy.mil reply NXDOMAIN:

This has been a problem for months. There was a discussion about the
USNO DNS brokenness on the tz list in July - see thread starting at
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2019-July/028293.html

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
Fisher: Cyclonic 3 to 5, becoming east 4 to 6. Slight or moderate. Rain. Good
Re: US Naval Observatory DNS failures [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 01:38:24PM +0000,
Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote
a message of 16 lines which said:

> This has been a problem for months. There was a discussion about the
> USNO DNS brokenness on the tz list in July

First occurrence I find is in December 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC61zbu0ZLk (no relationship)
Re: US Naval Observatory DNS failures [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 01:38:24PM +0000,
Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote
a message of 16 lines which said:

> There was a discussion about the USNO DNS brokenness on the tz list
> in July - see thread starting at
> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2019-July/028293.html

Clearly, some of the authoritative name servers for navy.mil are also
authoritative for usno.navy.mil (aa flag in the answer). Others are
not and, since there is no proper delegation from navy.mil, they reply
NXDOMAIN.

This is incredibly amateurish.
Re: US Naval Observatory DNS failures [ In reply to ]
I have heard from multiple sources that the USNO had to take their
entire web facing internet access down. Restoration time is
unknown (at least to me).

Regards
Marshall Eubanks