Keith I Myers
[image: http://]http://KMyers.me
Mobile : (305)-929-3475
Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
On 2018-08-03 19:20, Keith I Myers via Outages wrote:
> Hello All,
> It appears facebook is suffering from an outage. If you are currently
> logged in, you will see a blank timeline and if you are not logged in,
> you will see a Something Went Wrong Screen (Pictured below)
>
> Just a FYI for businesses that tie into Facebook

Same in Lebanon(middle east), all ISPs, means worldwide issue
Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
It seems to be coming back online

--

[image: --]
Keith I Myers
Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
Online for me now, pages load perfectly fine.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Anyone knows what caused this ?

Atenciosamente,

Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]

noc@fb.com

--
Eduardo Schoedler
Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
I’m surprised a Facebook outage rises to the level that it would be
included in this list. I guess disappointed is more appropriate.

James

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 1:53 PM Eduardo Schoedler via Outages <
outages@outages.org> wrote:

> outages@outages.org>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Anyone knows what caused this ?
>>

> noc@fb.com
>

> --
> Eduardo Schoedler

_
James Mitchell
636-634-0196
Jamesam@gmail.com
Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
As an ISP we get tons of calls when "the Internet is down" because
Facebook.com doesn't load. It is the third most visited website in the
world after all. I'm sure there are others that benefit from knowing this
information.

It's disappointing you're starting a discussion on the non-discussion list
this odd complaint is not appropriate here.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
Application Outage, not Network.. returning 500 Internal Server errors. (In full disclosure, I am a ThousandEyes engineer)

-Steve

Steve Brown | Solutions Engineering | +1 770.335.0354 | www.thousandeyes.com <https://www.thousandeyes.com/>

Billions of connected humans, even more billions of connected devices. And ONE Internet. What could possibly go wrong? <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6kooX2G9Q>

Change email preferences
<https://www.thousandeyes.com/email-subscriptions?utm_source=SalesEmail>
]

Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
I agree with Josh. Customers calling because they can’t get to Facebook means an increased call volume for our call center. I am glad that this was brought to our attention because we can be ready for an influx of calls and have techs on standby if we get overwhelmed. Thanks for being so condescending though, shows how much thought was involved in your message.

Thank you

John Quinby
Network Operations Center Team Lead

_____

Vision Net, Inc | <http://www.vision.net/> http://www.vision.net | (406) 216-4620 – desk | (406) 836-0223 – cell

noc@fb.com <mailto:noc@fb.com>

--

Eduardo Schoedler

_
James Mitchell
636-634-0196
Jamesam@gmail.com <mailto:Jamesam@gmail.com>

Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
Point of order.. should this not belong on outages-discussion?

Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
I'm so happy that you aren't the arbiter of good taste for the Internet
because a Facebook outage is certainly relevant to my customers.

On 8/3/2018 15:07:39, "James via Outages" <outages@outages.org> wrote:

>I’m surprised a Facebook outage rises to the level that it would be
>included in this list. I guess disappointed is more appropriate.
>
>James
>
>On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 1:53 PM Eduardo Schoedler via Outages
><outages@outages.org> wrote:
>><outages@outages.org>:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Anyone knows what caused this ?
>>>

>>noc@fb.com
>>

>>--
>>Eduardo Schoedler

>--
>_
>James Mitchell
>636-634-0196
>Jamesam@gmail.com

I agree that this is the wrong place for application outages, be it Slack, Facebook or Google. For those who are concerned when these applications go down, it would be more appropriate to start an application outages list.

As an ISP we get tons of calls when "the Internet is down" because Facebook.com<http://Facebook.com> doesn't load. It is the third most visited website in the world after all. I'm sure there are others that benefit from knowing this information.

noc@fb.com<mailto:noc@fb.com>

--
Eduardo Schoedler

_

Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
I absolutely and vehemently disagree. The first signs of a network outage
*are* application outages. If you tell people not to report major
application outages--and let's face it, Facebook's 200 million US customers
is major--then we'll miss out on crucial early detection and
troubleshooting opportunities. And what applications are we talking about,
exactly? Does VoIP become an application, something that should no longer
be discussed? It doesn't make sense to me to narrow the focus of this list
that much.

My $0.02. With that said, this really should be on the discussion list. I
guess I need to make sure I'm even subscribed to that one.

John

Re: Facebook Outage [ In reply to ]
This distro is for network outages, which includes Facebook. As John N. describes, reports of applications malfunctioning is usually the first sign of an outage. There is always an incident submission that precedes an outage, whether it be a user not able to make a VoIP call, or someone not able to access Facebook – both are indicative of an issue that may reside further down on the OSI model.

Make an inbox rule to move the mail to a folder and move on.

Re: facebook outage [ In reply to ]
They’re starting to pick themselves back up off the floor in the last two or three minutes. A few answers getting out. I imagine it’ll take a while before things stabilize, though.

-Bill
Re: facebook outage [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 4, 2021, at 11:10 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net> wrote:
>
> They’re starting to pick themselves back up off the floor in the last two or three minutes. A few answers getting out. I imagine it’ll take a while before things stabilize, though.

aaaand we’re back:

WoodyNet-2:.ssh woody$ dig www.facebook.com @9.9.9.9

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.facebook.com @9.9.9.9
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.facebook.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.facebook.com. 3420 IN CNAME star-mini.c10r.facebook.com.
star-mini.c10r.facebook.com. 6 IN A 157.240.19.35

;; Query time: 13 msec
;; SERVER: 9.9.9.9#53(9.9.9.9)
;; WHEN: Mon Oct 04 23:20:41 CEST 2021
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 90

-Bill
Re: facebook outage [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 4, 2021, at 11:21 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 4, 2021, at 11:10 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net> wrote:
>>
>> They’re starting to pick themselves back up off the floor in the last two or three minutes. A few answers getting out. I imagine it’ll take a while before things stabilize, though.
>
> aaaand we’re back:
>
> WoodyNet-2:.ssh woody$ dig www.facebook.com @9.9.9.9

So that was, what… 15:50 UTC to 21:05 UTC, more or less… five hours and fifteen minutes.

That’s a lot of hair burnt all the way to the scalp, and some third-degree burns beyond that.

Maybe they’ll get one or two independent secondary authoritatives, so this doesn’t happen again. :-)

-Bill
Re: facebook outage [ In reply to ]
Can't wait to see the RFO!

-Mike

--
Mike Lyon
mike.lyon@gmail.com
Re: facebook outage [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 4, 2021, at 11:50 PM, Ryan Brooks <ryan@hack.net> wrote:
> DNS was a victim in this outage, not the cause.

You are absolutely correct. However, people who don’t have this problem avoid having this problem by not putting all their DNS eggs in one basket.

And then forgetting where they put the basket.

-Bill
Re: facebook outage [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 4, 2021, at 11:41 PM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> man. 4. okt. 2021 23.33 skrev Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net>:
>

> > On Oct 4, 2021, at 11:21 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net> wrote:
> >

> >> On Oct 4, 2021, at 11:10 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> They’re starting to pick themselves back up off the floor in the last two or three minutes. A few answers getting out. I imagine it’ll take a while before things stabilize, though.
> >
> > aaaand we’re back:
> >
> > WoodyNet-2:.ssh woody$ dig www.facebook.com @9.9.9.9
>
> So that was, what… 15:50 UTC to 21:05 UTC, more or less… five hours and fifteen minutes.
>
> That’s a lot of hair burnt all the way to the scalp, and some third-degree burns beyond that.
>
> Maybe they’ll get one or two independent secondary authoritatives, so this doesn’t happen again. :-)
>

> We have had dns back for a while here but the site is still down. Not counting this as over yet.

Yeah, fair enough. I went back and looked, and it looks like the BGP withdrawals were around 16:40 UTC? And as of 22:15 UTC, application-layer services still aren’t up. Which puts us at 6:35 thus far?

-Bill
Re: facebook outage [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 5, 2021, at 12:16 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 4, 2021, at 11:41 PM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> man. 4. okt. 2021 23.33 skrev Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net>:

>>> aaaand we’re back:
>>>
>>> WoodyNet-2:.ssh woody$ dig www.facebook.com @9.9.9.9
>>
>> So that was, what… 15:50 UTC to 21:05 UTC, more or less… five hours and fifteen minutes.
>>
>> That’s a lot of hair burnt all the way to the scalp, and some third-degree burns beyond that.
>>
>> Maybe they’ll get one or two independent secondary authoritatives, so this doesn’t happen again. :-)
>>

>> We have had dns back for a while here but the site is still down. Not counting this as over yet.
>
> Yeah, fair enough. I went back and looked, and it looks like the BGP withdrawals were around 16:40 UTC? And as of 22:15 UTC, application-layer services still aren’t up. Which puts us at 6:35 thus far?

Arrrr. It’s past midnight here, and my brain is failing to convert between three timezones accurately. My apologies. I’ll stop typing until I’ve had some sleep. Good night.

-Bill
Re: facebook outage [ In reply to ]
Ok, I lied, I’m still awake.

I got my first successful Facebook main page load at 23:13 UTC, for an overall duration of 8:33, or 513 minutes. Multiplied by three billion users, that’s 1.54 trillion person-minutes.

That’s a tera-lapse!

Have we had one of those before?

-Bill