Mailing List Archive

Theoretical vs real-world speed limit of Ping

I thought some of you might be interested in this stats.

credit: pingdom

Theoretical response time limits of Ping

So, if we assume that a ?ping? travels with the speed of light, which
are the best possible response times we can get?

10 km -> 0,067 milliseconds
100 km -> 0,67 milliseconds
1,000 km -> 6,7 milliseconds
10,000 km -> 67 milliseconds

(Note that Ping shows the time for a roundtrip, i.e. 2 x the distance.)
Pinging between Europe and USA

The distance between New York and Paris is 5,839 km. For light to travel
from New York to Paris and then back again would take 40 milliseconds.

Maximum distance between two places on Earth

If you choose the shortest route, the maximum distance between two
locations will never be more than halfway around the planet. Halfway
around Earth is about 20,000 km.

Considering that Ping goes to a destination and then back again, the
packet sent by Ping would travel 40,000 km, the equivalent of a trip
around Earth.

That is 133 milliseconds.

Anyone who has tried to ping various servers across the world will know
that this is a way better response time than what you can realistically
get. So why is ping so slow?

Why Ping is slower in the real world

The examples above take place under ideal conditions that don?t exist in
the real world.

1. The actual distance traveled will be longer, more like zig zag
than a straight line.
2. Repeaters, switches and routers will slow down transfer speeds.
The more equipment the signal has to pass through (for example routers),
the longer it will take to reach its target.
3. The actual speed of the signal will never quite match the speed of
light. Even with fiber optics (glass) the speed of light is about 30%
slower than through vacuum or air, and most of the distance covered will
be through fiber.
4. A beam of light bounces around like a pinball when it travels
along the thin (admittedly extremely thin) fiber, and that will of
course make the distance traveled even longer.

With all this in mind, you should probably double the ?ideal? response
times shown above for a more realistic target to aim at. It?s useful to
know when there is room to push for better network performance, and when
the actual physical limits set in.
Theoretical vs real-world speed limit of Ping [ In reply to ]
Let us add analog and digital times:

My DSL-modem says 1 Meg uplink, 5 Meg downlink. Real speed is slower but
that is mostly artificial.

My router needs to assemble a complete packet before routing.

uplink 1480 bits 0.676 milliseconds
downlink 1480 bits 0.135 milliseconds

The DSLAM side should not add to this timing because it is the same
analog circuit. But my own switch should add 0.067 milliseconds for
10 Meg or 0.006 milliseconds for 100 Meg ports

Here is traceroute

traceroute iason.site.voila.fr
traceroute to star.site.voila.fr.wanadoo.fr (193.252.158.3), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

1 krzach.peter-dambier.de (192.168.48.2) 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms

my router and workstation add above the expected 0.9 ms

2 * * *

DSLAM does not ICMP?

3 217.0.81.118 (217.0.81.118) 46 ms (ttl=252!) 48 ms (ttl=252!) 47 ms (ttl=252!)

more than 1000 kilometers? I guess it should be some 160 kilometers over there and back.

4 f-eb7.F.DE.net.DTAG.DE (62.154.16.222) 49 ms (ttl=250!)
f-eb7.F.DE.net.DTAG.DE (62.154.16.218) 50 ms (ttl=250!)
f-eb7.F.DE.net.DTAG.DE (62.154.16.222) 49 ms (ttl=250!)

5 * * *
6 * * *

7 po6-0.ntaub201.Aubervilliers.francetelecom.net (193.251.126.153) 212 ms 202 ms 166 ms

That suggests a link via a geosyncronous satellite (72 000 kilometers including return path) :)

Well looking up routing tables in memory does take time.
Interleaving packets to stabilize medium speed for VoIP might
add another constant.

Both (3) and (4) are rather big routers with big tables.

Maybe I should get and try paris traceroute.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier