| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |
| UNIX Systems Administrator Mountain View, CA, USA |
| Making life hard for others since 1977. PGP: 4BD6C0CB |
Abovenet fibre cut; Washington D.C. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> Abovenet's IP group has stated that there's a fibre cut in the
> Washington D.C. area which is affecting their "southern route",
> and peering between Chicago<->DC, FTW/Dallas<->DC, and northern
> Virginia<->DC was affected.

The email I got from AboveNet about the "network event" in the DC area
said that their core routers rebooted. They haven't mentioned a fiber cut
to me.

--
John A. Kilpatrick
john at hypergeek.net Email| http://www.hypergeek.net/
Abovenet fibre cut; Washington D.C. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 12:14:04PM -0800, John A. Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> >Abovenet's IP group has stated that there's a fibre cut in the
> >Washington D.C. area which is affecting their "southern route",
> >and peering between Chicago<->DC, FTW/Dallas<->DC, and northern
> >Virginia<->DC was affected.
>
> The email I got from AboveNet about the "network event" in the DC area
> said that their core routers rebooted. They haven't mentioned a fiber cut
> to me.

I've gotten three statements -- one from their IP NOC via phone,
(which is who told us there was a fibre cut in the DC area), then
a few minutes later an Email stating that a "networking event had
occured", then another one about core routers rebooting.

Whoever I spoke to in their NOC was coherent and seemed to know
a bit about what was going on and was very helpful. So if there
was not a fibre cut, I was simply told the wrong thing by Abovenet.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |