-Keith

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
> Did anyone have any brief alarms from GPS receivers around 19:32 UTC?
> Wondering if this might have been related to a solar event.

This doesn't answer your question, but I got curious..

excerpted from http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/indices/events/yesterday.txt --

2740 1903 1957 2305 HOL 3 FLA S05E75 1F ERU 0930

I am not an expert, but I believe this indicates that an "Optical
flare observed in H-alpha" took place between 1903 and 1957 UTC

Dave
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
Wallace Keith wrote:

> Did anyone have any brief alarms from GPS receivers around 19:32 UTC?
> Wondering if this might have been related to a solar event.

Could be.

http://www.n3kl.com/sun/noaa.html

--
Requiescas in pace o email

Ex turpi causa non oritur actio

http://members.cox.net/larrysheldon/
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
Name: not available
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
Just some further info on this- 2 receivers, different mfg., 40 miles
away from each other had issues in the same 10 minute period.
The alarm was "not enough satellites visible", but usually they both see
a minimum of 8-11 birds , which is more than enough. So perhaps the
solar flare was to blame. It was not service affecting, since both have
rubidium oscillators. Just scary since we had never rec'd the alarm
before (with nightmarish visions of network collapse :)
Thanks all for the input.
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
In addition to that solar flare, there is also a mild geomagnetic
storm in progress. With the solar flare, it was on the opposite side
of the sun from that of earth. With x-rays being rather directional, I
am thinking the solar flares may not be to blame.

Anyways, cool space weather website:

http://www.spaceweather.com/

-Mike

GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 17:25 -0600, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> Wallace Keith wrote:
>
> > Did anyone have any brief alarms from GPS receivers around 19:32 UTC?
> > Wondering if this might have been related to a solar event.
>
> Could be.
>
> http://www.n3kl.com/sun/noaa.html

I don't know a thing abt solar events, but the graphs on that page
suggest that something out of the ordinary is happening right now (see
the Proton Flux graph). Very interesting.

Thanks,

-Jim P.
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 17:25 -0600, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> > Wallace Keith wrote:
> >
> > > Did anyone have any brief alarms from GPS receivers around 19:32 UTC?
> > > Wondering if this might have been related to a solar event.
> >
> > Could be.
> >
> > http://www.n3kl.com/sun/noaa.html
>
> I don't know a thing abt solar events, but the graphs on that page
> suggest that something out of the ordinary is happening right now (see
> the Proton Flux graph). Very interesting.

From http://sec.noaa.gov/today.html :

3-day Solar-Geophysical Forecast issued Dec 6 at 22:00 UTC
Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be high. Region 930
is expected to produce M-class flares and there is a good chance for
further X-class activity.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be
unsettled to active on 07 - 08 December with a chance for periods of minor
or major storm conditions due to the recurrent coronal hole high speed
stream. Quiet to unsettled conditions are expected on 09 December. The
greater than 10 MeV proton event is expected to continue for at least
another 24 hours.
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
Name: not available
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
Interesting read. Thanks Fergie.

-Mike

GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 08:21:35PM +0000, Fergie wrote:
> Although the Sun is just past its low-point in an 11-year cycle of
> activity:

From a NASA Web page:

"Hathaway notes a widespread misconception that solar activity varies
every 11 years "like a pure sinusoid." In fact, he says, solar activity
is chaotic; there is more than one period."

--
Joe Yao
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Fergie wrote:

> Russian scientists warned Wednesday that U.S. and other satellites could be
> damaged by a new wave of intense solar flares.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but we have a space weather center for a
reason. Such solar flares can even cause the power grid to black
out. Think EMP on satelites, as well. There is a monitoring satelite
half-way between earth and the Sun to give just such warnings.

Gadi.
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
I feel like the last 48 hours on this mailing list are a real-life
rehash of the first 15 minutes of a movie like Armageddon or Deep
Impact.

Random scientist #1: Hey, did you see this reading?
Random scientist #2: Yeah, that's pretty high. Well within spec,
though. Maybe. *shrug*

... two days pass ...

The planet is destroyed by an asteroid.

Fin.

(Not that I am complaining.)

GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 04:24:09PM -0600, Conrad Golightly wrote:
> I feel like the last 48 hours on this mailing list are a real-life
> rehash of the first 15 minutes of a movie like Armageddon or Deep
> Impact.
>
> Random scientist #1: Hey, did you see this reading?
> Random scientist #2: Yeah, that's pretty high. Well within spec,
> though. Maybe. *shrug*
>
> ... two days pass ...
>
> The planet is destroyed by an asteroid.
>
> Fin.
>
> (Not that I am complaining.)

If my planet were destroyed, I might complain. Especially if I didn't
have a spare.

--
Joe Yao
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
Where are the nazis to tell us we are offtopic?

-Mike

GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 02:45:43PM -0800, Mike Lyon wrote:
> Where are the nazis to tell us we are offtopic?

Wrong mailing list.

But we should stop. <STOP>

--
Joe Yao
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]

NANOG is that way ---------------------|

<---------------------------------|

GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
> Where are the nazis to tell us we are offtopic?

NANOG.

GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
Yeah, I know. I was joking.

-Mike

GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
Name: not available
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:38:01PM -0500, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> > ... two days pass ...
> >
> > The planet is destroyed by an asteroid.
> >
> > Fin.
> >
> > (Not that I am complaining.)
>

> If my planet were destroyed, I might complain. Especially if I didn't
> have a spare.

Getting back on topic, if you were using HSRP (Hot Standby Replacement
Planet) on your gear, this would be a non-issue.

-- Ed "but did you test it in the lab first?"
GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Mike Lyon wrote:
> Yeah, I know. I was joking.
>
> -Mike

And now we are not in meta-discussion, we are off topic. Next please.

:)

GPS Receiver Issues? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 06:12:39PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:38:01PM -0500, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > >
> > > ... two days pass ...
> > >
> > > The planet is destroyed by an asteroid.
> > >
> > > Fin.
> > >
> > > (Not that I am complaining.)
> >

> > If my planet were destroyed, I might complain. Especially if I didn't
> > have a spare.
>
> Getting back on topic, if you were using HSRP (Hot Standby Replacement
> Planet) on your gear, this would be a non-issue.
>
> -- Ed "but did you test it in the lab first?"

*sigh* bad me for ignoring my <STOP>, but ...

being standards-conforming, rather than proprietary protocol players, we
use VRRP (Very Reliable Redundant Planet). you DID note that I spoke in
the subjunctive, didn't you?

[.What ARE they teaching in the schools, these days? - Prof. C S Lewis]

--
Joe Yao