Mailing List Archive

[Fwd: Re: Verizon PSTN continued]

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Verizon PSTN continued
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:41:05 -0500
From: Jared Mauch <jared@puck.nether.net>
To: David Hubbard <dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com>
CC: nanog at merit.edu

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 12:32:24PM -0500, David Hubbard wrote:

> The thread yesterday didn't seem to get into much
> detail; I'm wondering if anyone knows more about what
> is going on with Verizon? Our PSTN service with XO
> seems to be affected again by what XO claims is a
> Verizon problem but they wouldn't elaborate on why they
> feel that to be the case; I was just amazed to even get
> someone on the phone at XO since normally they are
> unreachable. I am inclined to partially believe them
> since I've found other numbers that I know to be with
> other carriers that are not working. XO claimed this
> was at least a regional issue of Verizon's that is
> affecting multiple carriers.

google news lists this:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_H_phones07.3a8ef0f.html

10:00 PM PST on Monday, November 6, 2006

The Press-Enterprise

A network error created problems Monday for callers trying to make local
calls to Moreno Valley and may have affected other Inland communities, a
Verizon spokesman said.

Callers reported getting busy signals repeatedly. The problem resulted
from an outage in Indiana that began about noon and affected local or
long-distance calls in several states, including California, Florida and
Texas, Verizon spokesman Jon Davies said. The company serves dozens of
Inland communities, from Montclair to Blythe and Barstow to Temecula.

The problem did not appear to affect Verizon's cell phone service, and
Davies said he was not aware of problems with emergency calls.

Verizon technicians were working Monday night, but it was not clear when
they might finish, Davies said.

I hate to suggest this, but you could always try
contacting NCS. (www.ncs.gov) You could also go to the local (CA)
utilities commission folks and ask them. I'd carefully explain that
you are just trying to get an ETR as it impacts your business.

- jared
(not sure if it's the CA PUC or someone else, just basing it on my
knowledge of other states).

- --
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.