Mailing List Archive

experiences with MX ipfix active and inactive flow timeouts at 15s or lower?
Anyone running with less than 30s ipfix active and inactive flow timeouts willing to share positive or negative experiences? Our target platform is mx10003.

We've been running active 60 inactive 30 for quite some time and are looking to move closer to the known configuration floor of 10 for quicker flow based anomaly detection. I've recently moved to a 30/30 stance. I plot jnxOperatingCPU at 60s and couldn't see a change in the FPC graphs, which is where I think I'd expect to see a change if any?

Has anyone tried 10s or 15s and regretted it? I'm not worried about the collector impacts; those are easy to mitigate by adding more resources. I'm already pushing into TSDB output of commands like "show services accounting flow inline-jflow fpc-slot X" and "show services accounting errors inline-jflow fpc-slot X" to observe general effects of my changes such as flow table size, failed exports etc.

-Michael

=============/==============

example config:

services {
flow-monitoring {
version-ipfix {
template ipv4-ipfix {
flow-active-timeout 30;
flow-inactive-timeout 30;
template-refresh-rate {
packets 120000;
seconds 60;
}
option-refresh-rate {
packets 120000;
seconds 60;
}
ipv4-template;
}
template ipv6-ipfix {
flow-active-timeout 30;
flow-inactive-timeout 30;
template-refresh-rate {
packets 120000;
seconds 60;
}
option-refresh-rate {
packets 120000;
seconds 60;
}
ipv6-template;
}
}
}
}
Re: experiences with MX ipfix active and inactive flow timeouts at 15s or lower? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

----- On 28 Oct, 2022, at 18:14, Michael Hare via juniper-nsp juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net wrote:

> Anyone running with less than 30s ipfix active and inactive flow timeouts
> willing to share positive or negative experiences? Our target platform is
> mx10003.
>
> We've been running active 60 inactive 30 for quite some time and are looking to
> move closer to the known configuration floor of 10 for quicker flow based
> anomaly detection. I've recently moved to a 30/30 stance. I plot
> jnxOperatingCPU at 60s and couldn't see a change in the FPC graphs, which is
> where I think I'd expect to see a change if any?

More clueful people can correct me if I'm wrong, but as per my understanding the flow records are exported inline by the Trio and as such it shouldn't affect the LC CPU. And that is good.

Antti