Mailing List Archive

port-mirror with source inside routing-instance type vrf
Hello,

Cluebats appreciated, I can contact JTAC on this but am trying to avoid the timesink of opening a case.

Topic is filter based port mirroring for family inet with the wrinkle being that I'm trying to mirror traffic from inside "instance-type vrf". I've done this countless times before successfully [including today as a sanity check] with source being in global table.

So far I've tried putting the output interface both inside the same VRF and in global; no traffic seems to mirror. What is the correct stance? Yes, I've tried to prime the macaddr pump with ICMP from the mx10003 doing the mirroring.

I am aware of mirroring "family any" but am unsure if that applies here, as the source interface I am trying to mirror is edge of VRF and doesn't have family mpls on the logical interface of interest.

I'm confident the traffic I want to mirror is hitting my filter term based on incrementing counters.

Lightly sanitized config below.

# I confirmed this is attached to the interface of question and counters are incrementing.
term mirror-2 {
then {
count :mirror:all;
port-mirror-instance uw;
next term;
}
}

show forwarding-options
port-mirroring {
instance {
uw {
input {
rate 1;
}
family inet {
output {
interface xe-0/0/4:2.3124 {
next-hop 10.235.43.1;
}
}
}
}
}
}

show chassis
fpc 0 {
port-mirror-instance uw;
sampling-instance ins1;
}

show interfaces xe-0/0/4:2 | no-more
enable;
vlan-tagging;
mtu 9192;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
unit 3124 {
description "mirror test";
vlan-id 3124;
family inet {
address 10.235.43.0/31;
}
}

and then I've put xe-0/0/4:2.3124 inside and outside the relevant routing-instance as tests.

-Michael
Re: port-mirror with source inside routing-instance type vrf [ In reply to ]
Did you try creating a static ARP entry for the port mirroring destination?

interfaces {
xe-0/0/4:2 {
vlan-tagging;
mtu 9192;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
unit 3124 {
description "mirror test";
vlan-id 3124;
family inet {
no-redirects;
no-neighbor-learn;
address 10.235.43.0/31 {
arp 10.235.43.1 mac 02:02:02:02:02:02;
}
}
}
}
}

Re: port-mirror with source inside routing-instance type vrf [ In reply to ]
Chuck,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it at least four ways; both with and without the static-arp entry and with egress interface in global and egress interface in VRF. When I tried without static-arp, I forced mirror up with a ping from our mirroring device. My fw counters imply > 100pps hitting the relevant firewall "then" clause.

@re0# run show forwarding-options port-mirroring
Oct 11 11:00:33
Instance Name: uwwhitewater
Instance Id: 3
Input parameters:
Rate : 1
Run-length : 0
Maximum-packet-length : 0
Output parameters:
Family State Destination Next-hop
inet up xe-0/0/4:2.3124 10.235.43.1

-Michael

Re: port-mirror with source inside routing-instance type vrf [ In reply to ]
Circling around on this, the solution was simple. My ingress interface was on fpc1, my egress interface was on fpc0. I attached the port-mirror-instance to fpc0. The fix was to attach to fpc1. The ingress and egress interfaces are both in the "instance-type vrf" RI.

Thanks to all who chimed in,
-Michael