- juniper support download is pushing 15.1R7.9 at me
- should i worry about increased memory use or license changes in 15?
- if so, where the heck is 14?
- and with the support portal rearrangement, i can not find destructions
for making a bootable usb stick from install-media-15.1R7.dms (on a
mac or an rPi, of course:) <blush>

thanks for clues

randy
Re: polishing an antique m7i [ In reply to ]
On 7/2/22 20:00, Randy Bush via juniper-nsp wrote:
> - old m7i with RE-B-1800X1-4G-S
> - currently running 14.2R7.5
> - hard disk dying
> - have nice new 1tb sata ssd for it
> - juniper support download is pushing 15.1R7.9 at me
> - should i worry about increased memory use or license changes in 15?
> - if so, where the heck is 14?

If 14 is missing from the repository, then it's probably because it is
EoL. I can't find 14 for even the MX, so chances are Juniper stopped
maintaining it a while ago. I recall debuting 14 into our network back
in 2014, and it had tons of problems. I'd be surprised if Juniper are
still actively supporting it.

For the M7i, chances are your memory footprint will bulge with 15, but
likely not as much as if you went to higher code (which the M7i doesn't
support - it tops out at 15.1).

I'd be keen to hear if you can get the SSD drive to boot, though.

> - and with the support portal rearrangement, i can not find destructions
> for making a bootable usb stick from install-media-15.1R7.dms (on a
> mac or an rPi, of course:) <blush>

This is dated, but might offer some help:

http://networkarch.blogspot.com/2013/02/building-bootable-juniper-usb-stick-on.html

Mark.
Re: polishing an antique m7i [ In reply to ]

Re: polishing an antique m7i [ In reply to ]
>> - old m7i with RE-B-1800X1-4G-S
>> - currently running 14.2R7.5
>> - hard disk dying
>> - have nice new 1tb sata ssd for it
>> - juniper support download is pushing 15.1R7.9 at me
>> - should i worry about increased memory use or license changes in 15?
>> - if so, where the heck is 14?
>
> If 14 is missing from the repository, then it's probably because it is
> EoL.

so is the m7i :)

> I can't find 14 for even the MX, so chances are Juniper stopped
> maintaining it a while ago. I recall debuting 14 into our network back
> in 2014, and it had tons of problems. I'd be surprised if Juniper are
> still actively supporting it.

i am not expecting active support of 14 or the m7i. i am expecting an
archive of historical releases just as application softwares have.

> For the M7i, chances are your memory footprint will bulge with 15

exactly my fear. it was running 14 successfully as the disk drive
failed. i want to run 14 when the new drive is installed (in the next
day or two). this seems a reasonable desire.

>> - and with the support portal rearrangement, i can not find
>> destructions for making a bootable usb stick from
>> install-media-15.1R7.dms (on a mac or an rPi, of course:) <blush>

`dd in=Desktop/ISOs/install-media-15.1R7.dms of=/dev/disk6 bs=1m`
resulted in

ryuu.rg.net:/Users/randy> sudo fdisk /dev/disk6
Password:
Disk: /dev/disk6 geometry: 979/255/63 [15728640 sectors]
Signature: 0xAA55
Starting Ending
#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]
1: 04 880 0 1 - 879 0 1 [ 1893232 - 20480] DOS FAT-16
*2: A5 680 0 1 - 879 0 1 [ 680 - 1892552] FreeBSD
3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

which is somewhat reassuring, though the start/size of #1 is a bit odd

randy
Re: polishing an antique m7i [ In reply to ]
Hi,

If you have any active support contract or a contact to an SE person
they typically can provide access to old and no longer listed releases
on demand as they do archive them internally. We recently had to request
some 14.X code for a complicated VC upgrade procedure involving a failed
member.

Unfortunately the public download section seems to get automatically
purged every now and than and releases older than X are removed.
Especially for EOL platforms.

regards
Tobias