Mailing List Archive

MX204 port 1G
Hello

In Lab I'm trying to set up 1G port on MX204.

admin@mx1> show configuration interfaces xe-0/1/4
description TEST;
gigether-options {
speed 1g;
}
unit 0 {
family inet {
address 192.168.1.138/30;
}
}

admin@mx1> show configuration chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 4
speed 10g;

Port is UP, but I can’t see any MAC address from remote side or I can’t ping remote side.

admin@mx1> show interfaces xe-0/1/4
Physical interface: xe-0/1/4, Enabled, Physical link is Up
Interface index: 154, SNMP ifIndex: 530
Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, MRU: 1522, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: 10Gbps,
BPDU Error: None, Loop Detect PDU Error: None, MAC-REWRITE Error: None,
Loopback: None, Source filtering: Disabled, Flow control: Enabled,
Speed Configuration: 1G

Junos: 18.4R3-S5.4 but also tried on 18.4R3.3. I also setup auto-negotiation and fec options but without success.

SFP:
Xcvr 4 REV 01 740-011614 PJD2XXX SFP-LX10

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
Hi.

It does not work. according to the documentation it must be xe-

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am 09.10.2020 um 13:12 schrieb ?ukasz Tr?bi?ski:
> In Lab I'm trying to set up 1G port on MX204.

You might need to play around with autoneg options. we have a working 1G LX SFP running on 18.4R1-S7 on MX204

in our case thats the gigether section:
gigether-options {
no-flow-control;
no-auto-negotiation;
speed 1g;
}

Not sure if the Flow Control stuff was mandatory, but without the no-auto-negotation the link was not useable. It might also help to check autoneg settings on the other end (if you have access).

--
Kind Regards
Tobias Heister
Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
I tried to play with almost all options in gigether-options section without any results. Port is UP but it still not working properly.

admin@mx1> show configuration interfaces xe-0/1/4
description TEST;
gigether-options {
no-flow-control;
no-auto-negotiation;
speed 1g;
}
unit 0 {
family inet {
address xx.xx.xx.xx/30;
}
}

When i removed "speed 10g" from chassis section and bounced FPC port was DOWN.

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
When I removed "speed 10g" from chassis section

admin@mx1> show configuration |compare rollback 1
[edit chassis fpc 0 pic 1]
- port 4 {
- speed 10g;
- }

and bounced FPC 0, interface not found.

admin@mx1> show interfaces xe-0/1/4
error: device xe-0/1/4 not found

In documentation we can read that 10g is default. It’s seems not.
When I removed "speed 1G” from gigether-options section, interface is found, but is DOWN.

Any Idea? :)

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
One of many working 204s with 1G.

Model: mx204
Junos: 18.2R3-S1.7

Chassis:
PIC 1 BUILTIN BUILTIN 8XSFPP PIC
Xcvr 0 @(+ NON-JNPR F179CO14506 SFP-LX10
Xcvr 1 NON-JNPR F179CO14505 SFP-LX10
Xcvr 2 Et NON-JNPR G1908908498 SFP-LX10

Chassis ports are set 10G:
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 tunnel-services bandwidth 200g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 0 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 1 speed 40g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 2 speed 40g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 0 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 1 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 2 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 3 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 4 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 5 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 6 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 7 speed 10g

Interface:
set interfaces xe-0/1/0 gigether-options no-auto-negotiation
set interfaces xe-0/1/0 gigether-options speed 1g
set interfaces xe-0/1/0 unit 0 family inet rpf-check mode loose
set interfaces xe-0/1/0 unit 0 family inet address x.x.x.x/30
set interfaces xe-0/1/0 unit 0 family inet6 address x:x:x:x::x/127
set interfaces xe-0/1/1 gigether-options no-auto-negotiation
set interfaces xe-0/1/1 gigether-options speed 1g
set interfaces xe-0/1/1 unit 0 family inet rpf-check mode loose
set interfaces xe-0/1/1 unit 0 family inet address x.x.x.x/29
set interfaces xe-0/1/1 unit 0 family inet6 address x:x:x:x::x:x/112

Eric

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
If you are using RFC 1918 private addresses, then you will want to
remove them from the Junos martian dropping.

Like:
set routing-options martians 192.168.0.0/16 exact allow

Info:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/recognize-martian-addr-routing.html

--
______________________
David Miller

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 16:28, David Miller <dmiller@tiggee.com> wrote:

> If you are using RFC 1918 private addresses, then you will want to
> remove them from the Junos martian dropping.
>
> Like:
> set routing-options martians 192.168.0.0/16 exact allow
>
> Info:
>
> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/recognize-martian-addr-routing.html

This is not required. RFC1918 are not martians.
Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 11:49 AM Dave Bell <me@geordish.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 16:28, David Miller <dmiller@tiggee.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you are using RFC 1918 private addresses, then you will want to
>> remove them from the Junos martian dropping.
>>
>> Like:
>> set routing-options martians 192.168.0.0/16 exact allow
>>
>> Info:
>> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/recognize-martian-addr-routing.html
>

> This is not required. RFC1918 are not martians.

You are correct. Got my wires crossed there for a second.

Apologies for the noise.
Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
? " For MX/SRX (and I assume PTX and maybe ACX - don't much deal with those products ) xe is ONLY name allowed" ?

I see otherwise...

MX... MPC7E-MRATE (however et is the name for 40 gig and 100 gig) xe is also used, but with colon notation)
Physical interface: xe-0/1/5:3, Enabled, Physical link is Down
Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, MRU: 1522, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: 10Gbps, BPDU Error: None, Loop Detect PDU Error: None,

Physical interface: et-1/0/0, Enabled, Physical link is Up
Link-level type: Flexible-Ethernet, MTU: 9216, MRU: 9224, Speed: 40Gbps, BPDU Error: None, Loop Detect PDU Error: None,

Physical interface: et-1/0/2, Enabled, Physical link is Down
Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, MRU: 1522, Speed: 100Gbps, BPDU Error: None, Loop Detect PDU Error: None,

ACX.... has ge, ex, and et (got 1, 10 and 40 gig)
user1@my5048> show system information
Model: acx5048
Family: junos
Junos: 17.4R2-S11
Hostname: my5048
ge-0/0/10 up up
ge-0/0/10.0 up up inet 10.101.14.197/30
xe-0/0/25 up up
xe-0/0/25.0 up up aenet --> ae5.0
et-0/0/48 up up
et-0/0/48.0 up up aenet --> ae42.0

-Aaron

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
I found a few things in my notes from when I deployed a few MX204's ...

Early on I had Junos: 17.4R2.4 and 1 gig SFP's wouldn't work... said UNSUPPORTED for 1 gig sfp's 4,5,7

root@lab-mx204> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory:
Item Version Part number Serial number Description
Chassis removed JNP204 [MX204]
Routing Engine 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN RE-S-1600x8
CB 0 REV 27 750-069579 removed JNP204 [MX204]
FPC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN MPC
PIC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN 4XQSFP28 PIC
Xcvr 0 REV 01 740-043308 removed QSFP+-40G-LR4
PIC 1 BUILTIN BUILTIN 8XSFPP PIC
Xcvr 4 NON-JNPR removed UNSUPPORTED
Xcvr 5 NON-JNPR removed UNSUPPORTED
Xcvr 7 ` NON-JNPR removed UNSUPPORTED

I later upgraded to Junos: 18.4R1-S1.1 and then 1 gig sfp's worked, BUT one of them was still not working, and I removed it, so I don't know of there was a vendor sfp that didn't work at all or this one was broken

Good link...
https://apps.juniper.net/home/port-checker/

- Here was my chassis port configs... interestingly, you need to set the ports to 10g that you want to use as 1 gig

I tried to simply configure pic 0 port 0 as 40g and the pic’s stayed offline…even after restarting BOTH pics as is stated as required, they still stay offline… it wasn’t until I configure explicitly all ports, that they finally came online and then port to my upstream device came up also…

set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 0 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 1 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 2 speed 40g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 3 speed 40g

set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 0 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 1 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 2 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 3 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 4 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 5 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 6 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 7 speed 10g

root> show interfaces terse | grep "^et|^xe|^ge"
et-0/0/0 up down
et-0/0/1 up down
et-0/0/2 up down
et-0/0/3 up down
xe-0/1/0 up down
xe-0/1/1 up down
xe-0/1/2 up down
xe-0/1/3 up down
xe-0/1/4 up down
xe-0/1/5 up down
xe-0/1/6 up down
xe-0/1/7 up down

for ports you want to use are 1 gig, do this...

config

set interfaces xe-0/1/4 gigether-options speed 1g
set interfaces xe-0/1/5 gigether-options speed 1g
set interfaces xe-0/1/6 gigether-options speed 1g
set interfaces xe-0/1/7 gigether-options speed 1g

root> show interfaces xe-0/1/4 | grep speed
Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, MRU: 1522, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: 10Gbps,
Speed Configuration: 1G

root> show interfaces xe-0/1/5 | grep speed
Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, MRU: 1522, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: 10Gbps,
Speed Configuration: 1G

root> show interfaces xe-0/1/6 | grep speed
Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, MRU: 1522, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: 10Gbps,
Speed Configuration: 1G

root> show interfaces xe-0/1/7 | grep speed

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
Once upon a time, ?ukasz Tr?bi?ski <lukasz@trabinski.net> said:
> In Lab I'm trying to set up 1G port on MX204.

I've got several 1G ports on MX204 running okay with the same combo you
showed (chassis config to speed 10g and gigether-options speed 1g) on
18.4R2.7 on 18.1R2.5 - no other config required (so not tweaking autoneg
or fec or the like).

Have you tried alternate optics or such?

--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>
Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
i see ge interfaces in my SRX300 and older SRX240... also I'm pretty sure legacy MX use ge for 1 gig inerfaces, and perhaps it's just those newer MX204/10003 that don't.

user1@my-srx> show version
Hostname: my-srx
Model: srx300
Junos: 15.1X49-D170.4
JUNOS Software Release [15.1X49-D170.4]

user1@my-srx> show interfaces terse
Interface Admin Link Proto Local Remote
ge-0/0/0 up up
ge-0/0/0.0 up up eth-switch

user1@my-srx240> show version
Hostname: my-srx240
Model: srx240h
JUNOS Software Release [12.1X46-D40.2]

user1@my-srx240> show interfaces terse | grep ^ge
ge-0/0/0 up up
ge-0/0/0.0 up up
ge-0/0/1 up down
ge-0/0/1.0 up down eth-switch

-Aaron

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]
Hello again

After long debugging I have just found a solution to the problem. I had enable vlan tagging on remote side…

Re: MX204 port 1G [ In reply to ]