Mailing List Archive

MX subscriber captive portal - redirect and rewrite simultaneously
Hi all,

I’m using RE based CPCD, and I’m trying to do what’s described in the documentation:

"NOTE: If you want the service to apply to both redirect and rewrite traffic, you can either configure a single rule with multiple terms to manage both cases, or separate rules for each case."
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/http-redirect-routing-engine-static-services.html <https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/http-redirect-routing-engine-static-services.html>

I want to redirect some traffic, and rewrite other traffic. I’ve tried both multiple rules, and multiple terms within one rule - as described in this note.
I can get each to work independently, but if I define either multiple terms or multiple rules, only the first term/rule is evaluated - the match conditions are just ignored.

I’ve tried JTAC on this, twice. First on 16.1, and again now on 19.4. Both times JTAC have either not understood and stalled for months and refused to escalate to someone who does understand, or, more recently, claim that the docs are incorrect and are being fixed.
While it’s not a good rule to follow, the config allows multiple terms and rules, and allows match conditions. Usually I’d say whatever and put it down to bad config design - but - the docs said it's possible as well... Something doesn’t add up here. Did this used to work? Was it planned to happen this way but only got half baked?

So.. has anyone else made the “both redirect and rewrite” function that is in the note above actually work?
Does anyone have any information about this feature? It doesn’t seem to be very widely used, as there’s so little understanding of it.

--
Nathan Ward

Re: MX subscriber captive portal - redirect and rewrite simultaneously [ In reply to ]
I'll preface this by saying I don't have anything constructive to add...

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020, Nathan Ward wrote:

> I’ve tried JTAC on this, twice. First on 16.1, and again now on 19.4. Both times JTAC have either not understood and stalled for months and refused to escalate to someone who does understand, or, more recently, claim that the docs are incorrect and are being fixed.

Just got this exact response late last week, on the issue with BGP output
queue priorities -- they figured out why it doesn't work, and will update
the documentation to remove any promises that it should.

Sigh. I hope this isn't a trend.

-Rob