MX104 Segregated Process
Greetings
I am working on RFP and am proposing MX104 MS-MIC for edge deployment.
What I have been asked is in Cisco ESP , there is a separate process for
each function such as for NAT there is a process , for IPSEC this is a
process.
In MX104 , is there a segregated process for each service?

Thanks
Re: MX104 Segregated Process [ In reply to ]
Hi Mohammad!

JunOS is modular (overview of the various processes at
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/general/junos-os-processes.html).
Much of the functionality you are interested in, however, is contained inside a
single `adaptive-services` process.

There is generally a considerable gap between compartmentalization as it is
currently implemented by various vendors in their network operating systems and
the paradigm of each protocol/function-peer pair as a discrete process that can
crash independently.

For procurement purposes, it may be worth considering if a function-segmented
modular approach is, in fact, likely to improve reliability in your particular
scenario.

In edge deployments, functions are often stacked (for example, NAT, then IPSec,
then dynamic routing). In such scenarios, from the perspective of a packet, a
failure of any one function would disrupt the service as a whole - and
additional de-coupling can create new and difficult to troubleshoot
de-synchronization bugs between processes. This distinction, thus, may prove
less important or beneficial than it first appears.

--
Sincerely,

David Monosov