Mailing List Archive

MX80 upgrade path 18.4R
Hi
I have old MX80 running 10.4R14.2.
I would like to upgrade it to 18.4R.
But what upgrade I should use ?

10.4R -> 15.1R and to 18.4R ?

Rob
Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 14.06.2020 10:50, Robert Hass wrote:
> I have old MX80 running 10.4R14.2.
> I would like to upgrade it to 18.4R.
> But what upgrade I should use ?
>
> 10.4R -> 15.1R and to 18.4R ?

There are probably official upgrade pathes taking a dozen intermediate
steps (three LTS releases at a time or something like that is officially
supported, and starting from $some version in the 16/17 all releases are
considered LTS). As The MX80 takes ages to do just one upgrade this
would take days. Also it could be quite hard to actually get
intermediate releases for the older steps (JTAC typically has them on
request)

I would suggest to backup the config do a usb reinstall to the target
release and reapply the config.

--
regards
Tobias
Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
I agree with Tobias. If the unit is in production, expect some interruption in services as this type of install is the most disruptive, but should be doable within a maintenance window.

- Brian

Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
It is true that the official path will tell you that you should follow from
15 to 16 then 17 then 18 but I did around 30+ upgrades from 16 to 18 without
any problems.
From 10 to 15 I guess you should go to 14 first but from 16 you can safely
move to 18 without any issues. The ones I am talking about are non-issue
upgrades.

Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
Make sure you have a console and a copy of your full Config and you should be able to jump directly if you use the jinstall

Sent from my iCar

Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
On 14/Jun/20 19:16, nikosietf@gmail.com wrote:
> It is true that the official path will tell you that you should follow from
> 15 to 16 then 17 then 18 but I did around 30+ upgrades from 16 to 18 without
> any problems.
> >From 10 to 15 I guess you should go to 14 first but from 16 you can safely
> move to 18 without any issues. The ones I am talking about are non-issue
> upgrades.

If I have to ring up 2014 again, I think you can go from 10 to 14, then
to 16.

Once at 16, you should be able to skip all the way to current.

But yoh, that MX80 will be slow!

Mark.
Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
Needless to mention here that if you do an upgrade directly to 18.4 ignoring
Juniper recommendations as someone has suggested if something goes wrong you
are on your own.
So I would never suggest this for a massive deployment.

Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
On 15/Jun/20 16:20, Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp wrote:
> Better approach to whole subject is to not fall so far behind on Code upgrades. I know, easier said then done. I'd say more than 2 or 3 behind current is a risk, and I am all for "if it's not broken, why change". So today's code stream is 20.x based. You should at least be on some 17.x, or better yet in many cases 18.x. You better be able to find a stable release in some version of these code streams.

On our MX480's, we are on 17.

On our MX204's, we are on 19.

We generally try to upgrade every 1.5 years.

Mark.

Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all the replies. Managed to upgrade 17 units. So I'm sharing -
my path for that upgrade:
10.4R -> 13.3R -> 15.1R -> 18.4R

Just ensured there is enough space on /var partition (remove unused files
in /var/tmp and old junos in /var/pkg/sw)

Rob

Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert,

Have you seen any memory usage improvements yet? We're on v14 and need to
upgrade or get a pair of mx204 for our second PoP, to match our first PoP.

Thanks.
Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
Hi
14% more memory is used compared to 10.4R. How many full-views you have in
RIB ?
Rob

Re: MX80 upgrade path 18.4R [ In reply to ]
Thanks. Tons. May just go to the MX204 then.