Mailing List Archive

Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE
Hi,

we have some MX-Routers (MX480 and MX960) with MPC7E-MRATE linecards. As
far as i know, one PFE supports 240G each. Is it possible to use both
100G ports and in addititon 14x 10G ports on a single PFE ?
With the following configuration, i got an error "FPC 5 PIC 1 Invalid
port profile configuration":

fpc 5 {
pic 0 {
pic-mode 100G;
}
pic 1 {
port 1 {
number-of-sub-ports 2;
speed 10g;
}
port 2 {
speed 100g;
}
port 3 {
speed 10g;
}
port 4 {
speed 10g;
}
port 5 {
speed 10g;
}
}
}

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Regards,
Alex
Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
> we have some MX-Routers (MX480 and MX960) with MPC7E-MRATE
> linecards. As
> far as i know, one PFE supports 240G each. Is it possible to use both
> 100G ports and in addititon 14x 10G ports on a single PFE ?
> With the following configuration, i got an error "FPC 5 PIC 1 Invalid
> port profile configuration":

You can't oversubscribe the capacity of the MPC7 card. See

for permitted port configurations. Note "Oversubscription of Packet
Forwarding Engine capacity is not supported."

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Okay, i tried with "number-of-ports" on pic-level instead. But
unfortunately, "number-of-sub-ports 2" is ignored now

fpc 5 {
pic 0 {
pic-mode 100G;
}
pic 1 {
number-of-ports 5;
port 1 {
number-of-sub-ports 2;
}
}
}

Are 100g ports only recognised with a transceiver plugged in ? I am
missing the 100g ports in the output of "show int terse"

router# show interfaces terse | match "xe-5/1|et-5/1" | except 16386 |
except "\.0"
xe-5/1/0:0 up down
xe-5/1/0:1 up down
xe-5/1/0:2 up down
xe-5/1/0:3 up down
xe-5/1/1:0 up down
xe-5/1/1:1 up down
xe-5/1/1:2 up down
xe-5/1/1:3 up down
xe-5/1/2:0 up down
xe-5/1/2:1 up down
xe-5/1/2:2 up down
xe-5/1/2:3 up down
xe-5/1/3:0 up up
xe-5/1/3:1 up up
xe-5/1/3:2 up up
xe-5/1/3:3 up up
xe-5/1/4:0 up down
xe-5/1/4:1 up down
xe-5/1/4:2 up down
xe-5/1/4:3 up down

>You can't oversubscribe the capacity of the MPC7 card.
Yes, i know. In my setup, i would use 14x 10G + 2x100G on pic 1 in
maximum which sums up to 240G, means no oversubscription.

Regards,
Alex

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
14x 10 = 140
2x 1C = 200

total 340

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Many thanks Charlie. It seems that calculation doesn't belong to my main
skills ;-)
Please forgot my questions...

Regards,
Alex

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
FYI this is a more complex question….

From my understanding, you need to look at the card as 4 groups of 3 ports (2 QSFP+ and 1 QSFP28). Here are your options:

1. All 3 ports can be used at 40G or 4x10G in any combination. So 120G per group or 480G per card. This is the maximum for the card.
2. If you put a 100G optic in the QSFP28 port, the other 2 QSFP ports are not available. So 100G per group with a QSFP28 in them. Assuming only 100G QSFPs in use, the card will do 400G total.

You can mix what each group does to get anywhere from 400G to 480G of capacity from the card.

Correct me if you know better.

- Brian

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
> 2. If you put a 100G optic in the QSFP28 port, the other 2 QSFP ports are not available. So 100G per group with a QSFP28 in them. Assuming only 100G QSFPs in use, the card will do 400G total.

Yes. But you can have 8 x 10G in addition in the form of 2 x 40G with
breakout. This is from one of our routers with an MPC7E-MRATE card:

xe-3/0/0:0 down down
xe-3/0/0:1 down down
xe-3/0/0:2 down down
xe-3/0/0:3 down down
et-3/0/2 up up
et-3/0/5 up up
xe-3/1/0:0 down down
xe-3/1/0:1 down down
xe-3/1/0:2 down down
xe-3/1/0:3 down down
et-3/1/2 up up
et-3/1/5 up down

and the corresponding chassis config is:

pic 0 {
port 0 {
speed 10g;
}
port 2 {
speed 100g;
}
port 5 {
speed 100g;
}
}
pic 1 {
port 0 {
speed 10g;
}
port 2 {
speed 100g;
}
port 5 {
speed 100g;
}
}

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
So you have a 4x10G breakout and a 100G QSFP28 in the same group of 3 interfaces and they are all working? Just because I can install and configure the optics, doesn’t mean they will function. This would conflict with what is coming from Juniper Product teams.

To be clear, I realize that the ports do not “disappear” because you insert the QSP28 into the port group, just that they will not work. :)

- Brian

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
> So you have a 4x10G breakout and a 100G QSFP28 in the same group of 3 interfaces and they are all working? Just because I can install and configure the optics, doesn?t mean they will function. This would conflict with what is coming from Juniper Product teams.

Yes. But the speed must be configured at the port level for this to
work. This is the information we got from our Juniper product team.

See

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/rate-selectability-configuring.html

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 9:41 AM Brian Johnson <brian.johnson@netgeek.us> wrote:

> So you have a 4x10G breakout and a 100G QSFP28 in the same group of 3 interfaces and they are all working? Just because I can install and configure the optics, doesn’t mean they will function. This would conflict with what is coming from Juniper Product teams.
>
> To be clear, I realize that the ports do not “disappear” because you insert the QSP28 into the port group, just that they will not work. :)

We've been this with MPC7s, works fine. You can squeeze the 240g out
of each PIC just fine, you simply cannot oversub.

fpc 7 {
pic 0 {
port 2 {
speed 100g;
}
port 4 {
speed 10g;
}
port 5 {
speed 100g;
}
}
}

ports 4 and 5 in same 'group of 3', et-7/05 up at 100g and
xe-7/0/4:[0-3] up at 10g.
Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
A wise man once told me… “Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should”. More specific, “Just because you can do it in the Junos config, doesn’t mean it’s supported.” Junipers licensing “honor system” required honorable intentions. ;)

Have fun!

- Brian

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 06.05.2020 18:03, Chris Wopat wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 9:41 AM Brian Johnson <brian.johnson@netgeek.us> wrote:
>>
>> So you have a 4x10G breakout and a 100G QSFP28 in the same group of 3 interfaces and they are all working? Just because I can install and configure the optics, doesn’t mean they will function. This would conflict with what is coming from Juniper Product teams.
>>
>> To be clear, I realize that the ports do not “disappear” because you insert the QSP28 into the port group, just that they will not work. :)
>
> We've been this with MPC7s, works fine. You can squeeze the 240g out
> of each PIC just fine, you simply cannot oversub.
>
> fpc 7 {
> pic 0 {
> port 2 {
> speed 100g;
> }
> port 4 {
> speed 10g;
> }
> port 5 {
> speed 100g;
> }
> }
> }
>
> ports 4 and 5 in same 'group of 3', et-7/05 up at 100g and
> xe-7/0/4:[0-3] up at 10g.

I always wondered whether there is an explicit knob to disable a port in order to prevent accidental wrong configs or transceivers inserts down the road. Of course you can annotate the existing ports or the pic, but besides that. Also what happens if somebody plugs in a transceiver into any of the remaining ports? Will the setup just fall apart?

You have 6 Ports per PFE and if you do 100GE on two of them you will end up with something similar to the above config (you can choose whether to do 40 or 10GE on one of the ports). Which leaves three interfaces unconfigured or not listed in the config. In fact whenever one port is configured to 100G you will "loose" at least one of the ports and have to leave it not listed in config for things to work.

If at some point in the future somebody configures any of the remaining ports for an invalid speed it will not work. Even worse default mode for MPC7E-MRATE is to fallback to 10GE Mode on all ports on invalid config which could kill your 100GE production ports. Luckily you have to bounce the PFE for speed changes, which could be even worse if your wrong config hits you during your next reboot if you do not mind the alarms ;)

"If rate selectability is not configured or if invalid port speeds are configured, each port operates as four 10-Gigabit Ethernet interface"
"When you change an existing port speed configuration at the port level, you must reset the MPC7E-MRATE PIC for the configuration to take effect. An alarm is generated indicating the change in port speed configuration."

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/rate-selectability-configuring.html

So it would be great to have a config option to explicitly disable specific ports and not just leave them unconfigured. Of course you can also misconfigure any of the disabled ports into a unsupported speed combo, but it would be a bit more visible that they are disabled by intention.

You probably could configure all ports and literally "deactivate" the configs that you do not want to be enabled and annotate that, but it feels a bit clunky.

Especially on boxes like MX204 and MX10003 we would always explicitly configure the ports into a valid config combination to prevent somebody from putting in transceivers and the box trying to be smart and mess up your ports. I think you cannot easily do that on the MPC7

--
Kind Regards
Tobias Heister
Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
On 06.05.2020 18:24, Brian Johnson wrote:
> A wise man once told me… “Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should”. More specific, “Just because you can do it in the Junos config, doesn’t mean it’s supported.” Junipers licensing “honor system” required honorable intentions. ;)

I would say it is supported. Even the documentation has an example where one port of the group is 100GE and two others are 10GE:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/rate-selectability-configuring.html#id-configuring-rate-selectability-at-port-level

Also with MPC7 its not like its honor based to only use 240G per PFE ... its a hard limit ;)

If you run in PIC Mode with 100GE set, than in deed the other ports are disabled:
"For example, if you choose to configure PIC 0 at 100-Gbps speed, only ports 2 and 5 of PIC 0 operate at 100-Gbps speed, while the other ports of the PIC are disabled."
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/rate-selectability-configuring.html#id-configuring-rate-selectability-on-mpc7e-multi-rate-to-enable-different-port-speeds

I mean what else should it do, there are only two 100GE Ports per PFE anyway ;)

--
Kind Regards
Tobias Heister
Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

That’s not true and you sad it yourself. You have 240G per PIC.
With 2x100G ports enabled you can still set one remaining port to 40G on the same pic.
And it also works just fine.

Best regards,
Vincentz

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 06.05.2020 20:15, Vincentz Petzholtz wrote:
> That’s not true and you sad it yourself. You have 240G per PIC.
> With 2x100G ports enabled you can still set one remaining port to 40G on the same pic.
> And it also works just fine.

Which part of my last mail is not true? Maybe i did not make myself clear enough?

If you configure the PIC in per port mode/level, you can different modes per port and hence have 2x100GE and 1x40/4x10GE on the same PIC. See the first part of my last mail.
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/rate-selectability-configuring.html#id-configuring-rate-selectability-at-port-level

If you configure the PIC in PIC speed mode/level 100GE you will only have 2x100GE and nothing else per pic, as described in the second part of my last mail
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/rate-selectability-configuring.html#id-configuring-rate-selectability-at-pic-level

The later could make sense if you use e.g. SCBE2 and want 2+1/1+1 mode and not 3+0/2+0 to reduce the level of card to fabric/slot "oversub"as you only get up to 480G per Slot on that SCBE2 if all boards are active at the same time.

--
Kind Regards
Tobias Heister
Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Several points.

1. Configuration examples explaining how something is configured are not supposed to imply that this is how you should configure it or even that the exact configuration is valid. The example configuration could allow for over-subscription if port 5 were added at 100G.

2. The MPC7 card can be RTU licensed to 50% and 75% of the ports. Not following licensing restrictions on port usage will void support.

3. Junos will let you configure all kinds of things that will either not work or break later. It’s a feature. ;)

4. Be sure you fully understand what you are doing before implementing it and checking with Juniper to be sure it is a supported configuration is not a bad idea when there is a cloudy understanding of the features. I work with customers all of the time on the Juniper MX product line and this card is still very misunderstood (even by me occasionally).

My advice would be to validate what you are doing with JTAC before implementing In production.

- Brian

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Still… All of my points are valid.

- Brian

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]
Hi Tobias,

Clearly our last beer together happened too long ago ;-)
I haven’t referred to the kb article or anything … I just wanted to mention that you can use 100G and 40G ports on the same pic
as long as you don’t go above 240G per pic. Of course setting $whatever to 100G only will not work.

But this
set chassis fpc 1 pic 0 port 0 speed 40g
set chassis fpc 1 pic 0 port 2 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 1 pic 0 port 5 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 1 pic 1 port 0 speed 40g
set chassis fpc 1 pic 1 port 2 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 1 pic 1 port 5 speed 100g
works fine.

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Vincentz

Re: Rate selectability on MPC7E-MRATE [ In reply to ]