and I could not find such a piece of information in any place.

If anyone has an idea it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Buffer Size [ In reply to ]
On 20/Apr/20 22:58, Mohammad Khalil wrote:

> Hi all
> Am trying to conduct a comparison for campus refresh , my end customer is
> deeply interested in deep details.
> He is interested to know the buffer size of Juniper switches (EX series)
> and I could not find such a piece of information in any place.
>
> If anyone has an idea it would be appreciated.

Atrocious - on the 2 we ran; EX4550 and EX4600.

We dumped it and went with Arista.

Mark.
Re: Buffer Size [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 at 12:31, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:

> > If anyone has an idea it would be appreciated.
>
> Atrocious - on the 2 we ran; EX4550 and EX4600.
>
> We dumped it and went with Arista.

You probably didn't mean it, but people will read this as you imply
ANET does something different to JNPR. If you are comparing EX4600
(on-chip only) to Arista Jericho (off-chip), that is an entirely
unfair comparison. ANET also has on-chip buffer models, JNPR also has
off-chip buffer models.

But yes, EX4600 has like 12MB of buffer, which is not enough to do
speed step downs or handle multiple interfaces sending to one.

--
++ytti
Re: Buffer Size [ In reply to ]
* Mark Tinka

> On 20/Apr/20 22:58, Mohammad Khalil wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>> Am trying to conduct a comparison for campus refresh , my end customer is
>> deeply interested in deep details.
>> He is interested to know the buffer size of Juniper switches (EX series)
>> and I could not find such a piece of information in any place.
>>
>> If anyone has an idea it would be appreciated.
>
> Atrocious - on the 2 we ran; EX4550 and EX4600.
>
> We dumped it and went with Arista.

The vendor is usually irrelevant. Implying that Arista have better/bigger buffers than Juniper is misleading - it depends on the ASIC used. For example, the Juniper EX4600 and the Arista 7050X both contain a TD2 ASIC, so they both have a 12 MB large buffer.

https://people.ucsc.edu/~warner/buffer.html is an excellent resource.

Tore
Re: Buffer Size [ In reply to ]
On 21/Apr/20 11:49, Saku Ytti wrote:

> You probably didn't mean it, but people will read this as you imply
> ANET does something different to JNPR. If you are comparing EX4600
> (on-chip only) to Arista Jericho (off-chip), that is an entirely
> unfair comparison. ANET also has on-chip buffer models, JNPR also has
> off-chip buffer models.
>
> But yes, EX4600 has like 12MB of buffer, which is not enough to do
> speed step downs or handle multiple interfaces sending to one.

Oh no, we did look at other Juniper models that had large buffers, but
physical and price properties were way out.

The Arista options that lay in the same range as the EX4600 had the
larger buffers we needed without the size and price penalty.

It was mostly annoyance with Juniper for mucking up the EX4600 with ELS,
refusing to listen to us about fixing it until 2021, and the tiny
buffers on both those switches.

I'm not God, this group is intelligent enough to do their own research
before making a purchase, same way I did. That is why my example was
only about the EX4550 and EX4600, which implies Juniper has other boxes
that have deep buffers, if the OP is insistent on maintaining Juniper.

Mark.

Re: Buffer Size [ In reply to ]
On 21/Apr/20 11:49, Tore Anderson wrote:

> The vendor is usually irrelevant. Implying that Arista have better/bigger buffers than Juniper is misleading - it depends on the ASIC used. For example, the Juniper EX4600 and the Arista 7050X both contain a TD2 ASIC, so they both have a 12 MB large buffer.
>
> https://people.ucsc.edu/~warner/buffer.html is an excellent resource.

See my response to Saku.

Mark.
Re: Buffer Size [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 20:58:02 +0000
Mohammad Khalil <eng.mssk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am trying to conduct a comparison for campus refresh , my end customer is
> deeply interested in deep details.
> He is interested to know the buffer size of Juniper switches (EX series)
> and I could not find such a piece of information in any place.

I'm not sure how well maintained this page is today and you'll
probably want to verify the info if you can, but it may at least give
you some leads:

<https://people.ucsc.edu/~warner/buffer.html>

John