This requires the Junos Telemetry Interface.

Looking in the Juniper Feature Explorer, Junos Telemetry Interface is not a
feature, but rater a whole category in the feature explorer, with multiple
features under it. What feature am I looking for to be able to monitor the
interfaces in real-time, and see how much bandwidth flows across them
similar to SNMP?

The ACX platforms only support the Specify Routing Instance for JTI
feature?
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here are some of the
sensor agents that I enabled on my MX routers....

Maybe it's the linecard or interface specific ones that give me the bits in
bits out utilization graphs.

set services analytics sensor my-sensor-14 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-14 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-14 resource
/junos/system/linecard/interface/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-1 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-1 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-1 resource
/junos/system/linecard/packet/usage/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-2 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-2 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-2 resource
/junos/system/linecard/cpu/memory/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-12 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-12 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-12 resource
/junos/system/linecard/fabric/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-15 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-15 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-15 resource
/junos/system/linecard/interface/logical/usage/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-17 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-17 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-17 resource
/junos/system/linecard/npu/memory/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-18 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-18 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-18 resource
/junos/system/linecard/npu/utilization/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-19 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-19 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-19 resource
/junos/system/linecard/optics/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-21 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-21 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-21 resource
/junos/system/linecard/services/inline-jflow/
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-13 server-name my-grafana-srvr
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-13 export-name my-exprt-prfl
set services analytics sensor my-sensor-13 resource
/junos/system/linecard/firewall/

-Aaron

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Aaron,

Thanks, this is indeed helpful. What collector are you using to store and
view this telemetry data? Also, have you had any luck with getting JTI to
work on your ACX gear? This only JTI feature is see for the ACX line
according to the feature explorer is:
https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=8978&fn=Specify%20Routing%20Instance%20for%20JTI
am not sure if that means it fully supports JTI or not.

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
You’re welcome Colton. I understand there are 2 different ways to do telemetry on Juniper. One called Native and the other called gRPC/openconfig. I’ve done the Native form. I think the native form is a configured form where by which the network device constantly streams the sensor objects… and conversely, the gRPC form is subscription based where the management app/computer, subscribes to the network device to receive telem data objects.

I understand the native form to be executed in hardware near the monitored object….and because of this, highly scalable. And the grpc/openconfig form runs on re cpu.

I don’t think we’ve gotten native telemetry to work on ACX. But I have it running on MX960’s.

I understand the grpc/openconfig method requires you to download some code/software to the network device.

Collector I use is the OpenNTI project. Grafana (web ui) (or a less known Cronograf, which I actually use and like), InfluxDB (TSDB), fluentd, and other components. I must credit Dave, my coworker and resident Linux genius in assisting my with the server side collector setup. Some helpful/related links below….

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2018-October/036602.html

https://openeye.blog/2017/06/26/using-opennti-as-a-collector-for-streaming-telemetry-from-juniper-devices-part-1/

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/junos-telemetry-interface-oveview.html

look under “telemetry sensors and data models”

https://community.grafana.com/t/how-to-send-juniper-router-telemetry-to-grafana/11071/9

-Aaron

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Hi

Native sensors:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/sensor-edit-services-analytics.html

OpenConfig sensors:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/general/junos-telemetry-interface-grpc-sensors.html

Plugins to consume JTI for common open sources tools:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/jti-opensource-plugins.html

Personally I run OpenConfig with Telegraf + InfluxDB + Grafana.

Telegraf has a built-in input plugin for Juniper Openconfig, so it takes
like 5 minutes to enable.
https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/tree/master/plugins/inputs/jti_openconfig_telemetry

OpenNTI is good for demo/test but not really suitable for production.

/Roger

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Roger,

Thanks for the information. It seem like most all of these telemetry and
flow solutions require service providers to build their own solutions
ontop of InfluxDB or Elasticsearch. Do you know if there are any newer NMS
platforms our there that are built ontop of InfluxDB or Elasticsearch?
Basically, we don't want to do it ourselves, and would prefer to buy a
solution. However, talking to someone like SolarWinds for example, and they
said they don't currently support streaming telemetry, and its not on their
road map at the moment?

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Hi

Check out Juniper Healthbot. It can consume Netconf, SNMP, Syslog, Native
and OpenConfig, also works with Cisco.
Still pretty fresh product but has potential. 3.0 should be released
soonish. Freemium approach where you can use basic features for free as
long as you have a service contract for the device you want to monitor.
Payed version has more features.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/healthbot/topics/topic-map/healthbot-rules-n-playbooks-map.html

note: Some errors in the documentation above that I have flagged,
OpenConfig, iAgent/Netconfig and SNMP can of course be used both inband and
out of band.

/Roger

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Healthbot looks interesting. However, most of our Juniper gear we buy is
used, so I doubt we have a support contract on it. Is healthbot still an
option?

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> Telegraf has a built-in input plugin for Juniper Openconfig, so it takes
> like 5 minutes to enable.

there also seems to be a patch for native sensors:
https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/pull/6365. Unfortunately, it's not
yet merged. In addition, in order to better understand how the native
sensors work, I wrote a small script for lab usage, which pushes native
sensors data to InfluxDB: https://github.com/tonusoo/jti-to-influxdb Maybe
someone finds this useful.

WBR,
Martin
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Yepp, then you have to go payed version and buy a HB license per device you
want to monitor.

/Roger

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:13 AM Martin Tonusoo <martin@jumation.com> wrote:
> > Telegraf has a built-in input plugin for Juniper Openconfig, so it takes
> > like 5 minutes to enable.
>
> there also seems to be a patch for native sensors:
> https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/pull/6365. Unfortunately, it's not
> yet merged. In addition, in order to better understand how the native
> sensors work, I wrote a small script for lab usage, which pushes native
> sensors data to InfluxDB: https://github.com/tonusoo/jti-to-influxdb Maybe
> someone finds this useful.
Hi Martin,

This looks really useful, thanks for sharing. Just checking, do I only
need this script, InfluxDB and Grafana to get traffic graphs? So no
fluentd, telegraf, etc?
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 4:46 AM Aaron Gould <aaron1@gvtc.com> wrote:

> You’re welcome Colton. I understand there are 2 different ways to do telemetry on Juniper. One called Native and the other called gRPC/openconfig. I’ve done the Native form. I think the native form is a configured form where by which the network device constantly streams the sensor objects… and conversely, the gRPC form is subscription based where the management app/computer, subscribes to the network device to receive telem data objects.
>
> I understand the native form to be executed in hardware near the monitored object….and because of this, highly scalable. And the grpc/openconfig form runs on re cpu.

I'm also deploying native JTI at the moment on some MX devices. I have
got OpenNTI working, and managed to get traffic graphs working in
Grafana using it.

I'm now trying to set each part of this up individually without
Docker, for a more production ready setup. I've been following this
blog:

https://openeye.blog/2017/10/31/serving-up-opennti-deconstructed/

I'm trying to get my head around the difference between fluentd and
Telegraf, what does each one do, and why are both of these required?
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Hi Dario,

> This looks really useful, thanks for sharing. Just checking, do I only
need this script, InfluxDB and Grafana to get traffic graphs?

That's correct.

WBR,
Martin
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 2:01 PM Martin Tonusoo <martin@jumation.com> wrote:

> Hi Dario,
>
> > This looks really useful, thanks for sharing. Just checking, do I only need this script, InfluxDB and Grafana to get traffic graphs?
>
> That's correct.

Thanks - it's working nicely. So I can get the correct values in
Grafana in bps, what reporting-rate do you have configured on the
Juniper? Also in Grafana, what should the derivative value be in
seconds? If I change that I get different results on the graph for
bps..
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Do you have any information on the license part numbers and the MSRP for
the licenses? Usually this is in the datasheets, but I don't see it
anywhere.

Any clarification on the free version would be appreciated.

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Hi Dario,

> So I can get the correct values in Grafana in bps, what reporting-rate do
you have configured on the Juniper?

I configured 1 second interval, but I noticed that at least vMX sent data
with 2 and occasionally 3 second intervals. I guess this is because
according to
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/export-profile-edit-services-analytics.html
the minimum reporting rate for PFE sensors is 2 seconds.

> Also in Grafana, what should the derivative value be in seconds?

Unfortunately, I no longer have this Grafana setup running, but according
to notes for myself I used something like this: SELECT
non_negative_derivative(mean("i_octets"),1s)*8 AS "incoming" FROM "octets"
WHERE ("ifl" = 'ge-0/0/1.88') AND $timeFilter GROUP BY time(5s) fill(none)

WBR,
Martin
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Here's my lab MX960

Mine is currently set at 1 second

set services analytics export-profile my-exprt-prfl reporting-rate 1

I tried decimals and zero to see what would happen, seems that 1 is the
lowest.

{master}[edit]
agould@lab-960# set services analytics export-profile my-exprt-prfl
reporting-rate
Possible completions:
<reporting-rate> Telemetry interval in seconds (0..3600 seconds)

{master}[edit]
agould@lab-960# set services analytics export-profile my-exprt-prfl
reporting-rate .1

^
Invalid numeric value: '.1' at '.1'

{master}[edit]
agould@lab-960# set services analytics export-profile my-exprt-prfl
reporting-rate .9

^
Invalid numeric value: '.9' at '.9'

{master}[edit]
agould@lab-960# set services analytics export-profile my-exprt-prfl
reporting-rate 0

{master}[edit]
agould@lab-960# show | compare
[edit services analytics export-profile my-exprt-prfl]
- reporting-rate 1;
+ reporting-rate 0;

{master}[edit]
agould@lab-960# commit check
re0:
[edit services analytics]
'sensor my-sensor-14'
reporting-rate of 0 not supported for PFE sensor
error: configuration check-out failed

-Aaron

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]
Hi Aaron,

> I tried decimals and zero to see what would happen, seems that 1 is the
lowest.

Looks like it is possible to configure 0 as a reporting-rate
using ephemeral database, but then the device simply does not send any
telemetry data.

I also did some further testing with Grafana and it looks like the 5 second
aggregation mentioned in my previous e-mail is too short time-interval for
Junos telemetry data. I built a small setup where the server sent exactly
10 ICMP "echo request" packets with 1472 byte payload in each second to vMX
router using the ge-0/0/1.88 interface. There was no other traffic on that
link. Telemetry data was exported from the vMX over another link using the
shortest possible "reporting-rate". 30 second screencast with 5 second
aggregation can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/Cfn6Lwp.gif ..and with 30
second aggregation: https://i.imgur.com/OSKPSYr.gif With 5 second
aggregation the graph is cleary way too choppy and while it's better with
30 second interval, then ideally the graph should be a flat line at 120
kbps.
There are probably technical reasons for this, but it's weird that PFE
sensors telemetry data in Junos is exported that infrequently. Especially
native sensors which are exported by PFE directly.

WBR,
Martin
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface [ In reply to ]