Mailing List Archive

QSFP+ to SFP+ adapters
Has anyone tried using QSFP+ to SFP+ adapters such as this one? What software versions have you tried?

https://www.fs.com/products/72587.html

I'm testing these on QFX10002-36Q with 17.3R3-S7.2 and SFP+ 10G-LR modules. The links come up and pass LLDP and IP traffic, but DOM doesn't work:

{master:0}
root@spine-1> show interfaces diagnostics optics xe-0/0/30:0
Physical interface: xe-0/0/30:0
Optical diagnostics : N/A

{master:0}
root@spine-1> show interfaces diagnostics optics xe-0/0/31:0
Physical interface: xe-0/0/31:0
Optical diagnostics : N/A

{master:0}
root@spine-1> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory:
Item Version Part number Serial number Description
PIC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN 36X40G
Xcvr 30 NON-JNPR UNKNOWN
Xcvr 31 NON-JNPR UNKNOWN

root@spine-1> show chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 0
FPC slot 0, PIC slot 0 information:
Type 36X40G
State Online
PIC version 2.47
Uptime 26 days, 40 minutes, 44 seconds

PIC port information:
Fiber Xcvr vendor Wave- Xcvr
Port Cable type type Xcvr vendor part number length Firmware
30 unknown cable n/a n/a 0.0
31 unknown cable n/a n/a 0.0

{master:0}
root@spine-1> show interfaces terse xe-*
Interface Admin Link Proto Local Remote
xe-0/0/30:0 up up
xe-0/0/30:0.0 up up inet 10.0.0.1/30
xe-0/0/30:1 up down
xe-0/0/30:2 up down
xe-0/0/30:3 up down
xe-0/0/31:0 up up
xe-0/0/31:0.0 up up inet 10.0.0.5/30
xe-0/0/31:1 up down
xe-0/0/31:2 up down
xe-0/0/31:3 up down
Re: QSFP+ to SFP+ adapters [ In reply to ]
Yes

We have used the ones from flexoptix

They tend to work correctly, but like you mentioned you lose the DOM and also the optic partcode may not display correctly on a show chassis hardware.

Apart from that work quite well.

Note: don't bother trying to use these for a fusion setup on the satellite side as it doesn't work.
They can work on the AD device with a native 10GE port on the satellite, but using them on the satellite in a 40/100GE port as a 10GE uplink, is a no go.

will

Re: QSFP+ to SFP+ adapters [ In reply to ]
On 2020-03-16 21:06, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> Has anyone tried using QSFP+ to SFP+ adapters such as this one? What
> software versions have you tried?
>
> https://www.fs.com/products/72587.html
>
> I'm testing these on QFX10002-36Q with 17.3R3-S7.2 and SFP+ 10G-LR modules.
> The links come up and pass LLDP and IP traffic, but DOM doesn't work:

We have some equivalent adapters from Mellanox. On a QFX5120 (running Junos
192.R1-S3) where we use those adapters, I don't get any DOM either, but on
Dell Z9100 switches (running DNOS 9.14(2.4)) I do get DOM. However, it might
be that the Dell switches got some newer version of the adapters; I'm fairly
certain the adapters in the Dells are ones we received in 2018, while I suspect
the adapters in the Juniper are ones we got in the 2012-2014 timespan.

I might be able to check and test sometime later this week, but no promises.

--
Thomas Bellman, National Supercomputer Centre, Linköping Univ., Sweden
"We don't understand the software, and sometimes we don't understand
Re: QSFP+ to SFP+ adapters [ In reply to ]