Mailing List Archive

Any red flags on this MX240 configuration...
    Beside the RE-S-2000-4096-S being EOL.  My experience with 16.2 was
pretty solid.

    We're planning to have 3 Full Routes BGP and the MPLS alphabet
soup, yadi yada.

    We don't want 2 RE since we'll use 2 MX240 and there is no point to
go for ISSU since the RE is EOL.

   1x CHAS-BP-MX240-S
   1x FFANTRAY-MX240-HC
   1x RE-S-2000-4096-S
   1x SCBE-MX-S
   2x PWR-MX480-1200-AC
   1x MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP

--

-----
Alain Hebert ahebert@pubnix.net

Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
* Alain Hebert <ahebert@pubnix.net> [2020-02-26 14:47]:
> ??? Beside the RE-S-2000-4096-S being EOL.? My experience with 16.2 was
> pretty solid.
>
> ??? We're planning to have 3 Full Routes BGP and the MPLS alphabet soup,
> yadi yada.
>
> ??? We don't want 2 RE since we'll use 2 MX240 and there is no point to go
> for ISSU since the RE is EOL.
>
> ?? 1x CHAS-BP-MX240-S
> ?? 1x FFANTRAY-MX240-HC
> ?? 1x RE-S-2000-4096-S
> ?? 1x SCBE-MX-S
> ?? 2x PWR-MX480-1200-AC
> ? ?1x MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP

Hi,

I would definitively go for the chassis with the newer backplane
(CHAS-BP3-MX240-S). Changing the chassis at a later time is a pain.
Same with SCBE, why not use SCBE2-MX-S? They cost the same.

Regards,

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x58A2D94A93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A 9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
-- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant
Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
The things Sebastian suggested definitely make sense. Otherwise (if it's a
really really really good offer), go for it. For the things you've
mentioned it'll do its job well. Also, JunOS 17.3 works just fine with it
btw :-)

Am Mi., 26. Feb. 2020 um 14:57 Uhr schrieb Sebastian Wiesinger <
sebastian@karotte.org>:

> * Alain Hebert <ahebert@pubnix.net> [2020-02-26 14:47]:
> > Beside the RE-S-2000-4096-S being EOL. My experience with 16.2 was
> > pretty solid.
> >
> > We're planning to have 3 Full Routes BGP and the MPLS alphabet soup,
> > yadi yada.
> >
> > We don't want 2 RE since we'll use 2 MX240 and there is no point to
> go
> > for ISSU since the RE is EOL.
> >
> > 1x CHAS-BP-MX240-S
> > 1x FFANTRAY-MX240-HC
> > 1x RE-S-2000-4096-S
> > 1x SCBE-MX-S
> > 2x PWR-MX480-1200-AC
> > 1x MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP
>
> Hi,
>
> I would definitively go for the chassis with the newer backplane
> (CHAS-BP3-MX240-S). Changing the chassis at a later time is a pain.
> Same with SCBE, why not use SCBE2-MX-S? They cost the same.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sebastian
>
> --
> GPG Key: 0x58A2D94A93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A 9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0
> B9CE)
> 'Are you Death?' ... IT'S THE SCYTHE, ISN'T IT? PEOPLE ALWAYS NOTICE THE
> SCYTHE.
> -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant

*Marcel Bößendörfer*
Geschäftsführer / CEO

*marbis GmbH*
Griesbachstr. 10
76185 Karlsruhe, Germany

Phone: +49 721 754044-11
Fax: +49 800 100 3860
E-Mail: m.boessendoerfer@nitrado.net
Web: marbis.net / nitrado.net

*Registered Office | Sitz der Gesellschaft:* Karlsruhe
*Register Court | Registergericht:* AG Mannheim, HRB 713868
*Managing Directors | Geschäftsführer:* Marco Balle, Marcel Bößendörfer

Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet. This e-mail may contain
confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or
Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
Hi Alain,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:46:42AM -0500, Alain Hebert wrote:
> ??? Beside the RE-S-2000-4096-S being EOL.? My experience with 16.2 was
> pretty solid.
>
> ??? We're planning to have 3 Full Routes BGP and the MPLS alphabet soup,
> yadi yada.
>
> ??? We don't want 2 RE since we'll use 2 MX240 and there is no point to go
> for ISSU since the RE is EOL.
>
> ?? 1x CHAS-BP-MX240-S
> ?? 1x FFANTRAY-MX240-HC
> ?? 1x RE-S-2000-4096-S
> ?? 1x SCBE-MX-S
> ?? 2x PWR-MX480-1200-AC
> ? ?1x MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP

I am not sure the MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP can work with a SCBE-MX-S, it seems
you need at least a SCBE2 (same goes if you plan to insert a MPC7):

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/enhanced-mx-scb-description-mx960.html

Cheers,
Ben
--
Benjamin Collet
Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
The MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP even works with a 710-021523 / SCB-MX :-)

Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
We have MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP and SCBE working in production. Haven’t noticed
any issues.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 9:04 AM Benjamin Collet <juniper-nsp@clt.tf> wrote:

> Hi Alain,
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:46:42AM -0500, Alain Hebert wrote:
> > Beside the RE-S-2000-4096-S being EOL. My experience with 16.2 was
> > pretty solid.
> >
> > We're planning to have 3 Full Routes BGP and the MPLS alphabet soup,
> > yadi yada.
> >
> > We don't want 2 RE since we'll use 2 MX240 and there is no point to
> go
> > for ISSU since the RE is EOL.
> >
> > 1x CHAS-BP-MX240-S
> > 1x FFANTRAY-MX240-HC
> > 1x RE-S-2000-4096-S
> > 1x SCBE-MX-S
> > 2x PWR-MX480-1200-AC
> > 1x MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP
>

> I am not sure the MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP can work with a SCBE-MX-S, it seems
> you need at least a SCBE2 (same goes if you plan to insert a MPC7):
>

> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/enhanced-mx-scb-description-mx960.html
>
> Cheers,
> Ben
> --
> Benjamin Collet

*Brendan Mannella*

*CEOTeraSwitch Inc.Main/Support - 1.412.945.7045Direct -
1.412.945.7049Bare-Metal Servers . Colocation . Cloud . Connectivity*
Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 09:11:50AM -0500, Brendan Mannella wrote:
> We have MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP and SCBE working in production. Haven’t noticed
> any issues.

That's good to know. I wonder if there are any limitations whatsoever or
simply a mistake in the documentation and the Hardware Compatibility
Tool).

--
Benjamin Collet
Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
The documentation states its supported:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/enhanced-mx-scb-description-mx960.html

It doesn't support "Enhanced IP/Enhanced Ethernet mode" though
whatever that is...

Dave

Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
Re: [EXT] Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
I'd avoid the older RE-S-2000-4096-S with multiple full tables and newer code. I have some older lab boxes that can't really handle it, but I keep them around just for lab testing. I had to trim down the full tables with AS Path Length filters to keep them from running out of RAM, swapping, and eventually crashing/core dumping.

You really want a 64-bit capable RE, such as RE-S-1800X4-32G-S or newer. The rest of the hardware should be fine (as long as the newer REs support it, I didn't check.)

Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
On 2/26/20, 9:38 AM, "juniper-nsp on behalf of Benjamin Collet" <juniper-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net on behalf of juniper-nsp@clt.tf> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 03:05:16PM +0100, Marcel Bößendörfer wrote:
> The MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP even works with a 710-021523 / SCB-MX :-)

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 09:11:50AM -0500, Brendan Mannella wrote:
> We have MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP and SCBE working in production. Haven’t noticed
> any issues.

That's good to know. I wonder if there are any limitations whatsoever or
simply a mistake in the documentation and the Hardware Compatibility
Tool).

I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, the original SCB only has 80Gb/s of fabric capacity. While the 16XGE MPC will technically work, it will only work at half capacity. For full throughput capability, you would need two SCBs for a total of 160Gb/s fabric capacity, but if you lose one of the SCBs, you lose half your capacity. Again, my understanding could be wrong, so someone please correct me if so.

It is just not worth it to invest in SCB or even SCBE at this point. I'd also be concerned about the 2GB RE with 3x full route BGP feeds. While it will hold 3x full feeds in RIB, your memory usage will be pretty high (+75-80%) and if enable something that uses RE memory like sampling, you might as well forget about having a solid router anymore.

-evt

Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
On 26/Feb/20 17:03, Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp wrote:
> In general, IMHO, if looking to upgrade older MXs, you should always at least look at an MX204 solution too.

I was thinking about this too, but that would depend on what the OP
wants to use the router for.

The only advice I'd give is, if possible, don't use older-generation
RE's, SCB's, PSU's and fan trays. Unless you're getting them off the
really really deep grey market, those shouldn't cost that much more if
you get the current models (even if pre-owned).

Mark.

Re: Any red flags on this MX240 configuration... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 17:21, Eric Van Tol <eric@atlantech.net> wrote:

> I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, the original SCB only has 80Gb/s of fabric capacity. While the 16XGE MPC will technically work, it will only work at half capacity. For full throughput capability, you would need two SCBs for a total of 160Gb/s fabric capacity, but if you lose one of the SCBs, you lose half your capacity. Again, my understanding could be wrong, so someone please correct me if so.

I believe you're wrong.

SCB is 3.125Gbps SERDES, MX240/MX480 are (8+8) + (8+8) per MQ to/from
fabric and MX960 is 8+8+8.

So both SCB's up is 100Gbps on MX240/MX480 serdes per MQ to/from
fabric, one down is 50Gbps (40Gbps needed for ucast)
All SCB up is 75Gbps on MX960 serdes per MQ, one down is 50Gbps.

16X10GE unary replicates, without fabric failures SCB has enough on
MX240/MX480 and nearly enough on MX960. With Fabric failure, not so
great.
MPC[12] binary replicates (so it needs double SERDES, 80G serdes to
support 40G traffic). Has enough for unicast with fabric failures, but
not for multicast.

--
++ytti