address but apparently junos does not know how to do this.

Tried adding in "preferred-source-address $junos-preferred-source-address"
but this just results in "preferred-source-address NONE" and does nothing.
Also there is zero documentation on how junos will fill in that variable.

Is there a solution to this? Is there a radius variable I can set with the
preferred source address?

Regards,

Baldur
Re: arp from correct IP address [ In reply to ]
Ran into the same bug.

$junos-preffered-source-address for an unnumbered for BNG functions does NOT return the "closest/must suitable address" based on the IP+Subnet that was given the subscriber... contrary to the BNG template doucmentation. It just defaults the actual loopback of the router. (the dynamic template that gets created against a demux0.xxxx subscriber says $preffered of "NONE")

This means that things like Subscriber "ARP liveliness detection" doesn't work/cant work. (since the subscriber won't arp-respond to an ARP requests where the source isn't in the local subnet)

I've had a JTAC case open on this for 8 months. Sent full configs, built a full lab for them (so they could trigger it remotely), self full PCAPs.

MX204 + JunOS 18.3Rxxxx + BNG (DHCP/IPoE naturally)

Also on MX80 w/same code - so it's the BNG code, not the platform doing it.

- Ck.

Re: arp from correct IP address [ In reply to ]
Yes subscriber management has a lot of small but important things that are
not quite "done". Juniper should put on a task force to get all the bugs
sorted out. Could be a great system if they allow it to be.

For me the trouble with this is that without functioning ARP the customer
becomes "MAC locked". If he wants to upgrade his equipment, he has to call
us so we can clear his session. We have two routers and sometimes a user
somehow manages to register with different MAC addresses on the two.
Needless to say that creates a lot of trouble that will not sort itself
out. With functioning ARP I believe the wrong MAC address would be
corrected soon enough without intervention.

I wish I could just have a user defined radius variable and use that
instead of $junos-preferred-source-address. My script that generates that
radius configuration could easily calculate the correct source address and
program that in with the other radius variables for each user.

I am not creating a JTAC case on this before I have a fix for my other JTAC
cases (IPv6 is broken, dynamic VLAN with IP demux on top is broken, DHCP
combined with non-DHCP is likely also broken). So far I got IPv4 fixed
(access-internal routes ignored, work around use access routes), so they do
work on the problems I report.

Regards,

Baldur

Re: arp from correct IP address [ In reply to ]
Interesting. I have observed a while ago that "preferred" doesn't work
for IPv6. Opened TAC case and eventually was told that "it doesn't work
for IPv6". Turns out that it's also broken for IPv4, but we do PPPoE, so
DHCP is running only for IPv6, so didn't get into IPv4 issue. The
workaround in my case was to use broadband loopback address as primary,
thanks that it's not so critical as IPv4 primary loopback.
As we are looking into possible IPoE implementation for some services,
thanks for heads up.

Kind regards,
Andrey Kostin

Baldur Norddahl ????? 2020-01-27 00:24: