Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
We too have the ACX5048 and QFX5100's, and have been unhappy with them
both. They both have the same Trident II chip set, but run different code
which is annoying to say the least. Not to mention these aren't really
built for Metro-E deployments. They are not hardened, so datacenter only.
Plus, the don't support 23 inch racks nor 2 post racks. Makes them hard to
put in a customers site.

I looked at the ASR920 just now, it has too few 10G ports on it. The NCS
540 seems to be more ideal for our needs. Does the NCS 540 fit the bill?

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
We have a very small deployment of ASR920 running 16.12. Work well for us,
and we do some pretty kinky/exotic stuff: small scale BNG, Internet in VRF,
selective FIB, port-based DHCPv4/v6/PD, IP unnumbered, IPoDWDM...

If you can stomach the BU wars, UADP is a nice ASIC - I think the Cat9k has
legs, but the Enterprise BU is definitely in a parallel universe. I asked
about porting XR to run on UADP. That didn't really go over well.

I am wary of NCS due to the merchant silicon and general uncertainty - why
announce the Cisco 8000 with no family loyalty? Looks like a replacement to
me.

Tim:>

Tim:>
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 22/Jan/20 20:39, Tim Durack wrote:

> If you can stomach the BU wars, UADP is a nice ASIC - I think the Cat9k has
> legs, but the Enterprise BU is definitely in a parallel universe. I asked
> about porting XR to run on UADP. That didn't really go over well.

Personally, I think IOS XR is too heavy for the Metro.

> I am wary of NCS due to the merchant silicon and general uncertainty - why
> announce the Cisco 8000 with no family loyalty? Looks like a replacement to
> me.

Just like the PTX, Cisco will target-sell the NCS6000 to specific large
carriers, predominantly in the U.S. Those will be specific deals behind
closed doors. They will continue to build the box in small numbers for
those customers, but they'll rely on the "edge" routers for the majority
of their business, just like Juniper do with the MX.

So the Cisco 8000 is their attempt, I feel, to lure customers that need
something larger than an MX or ASR9000 in the core or dense edge, but
are not large enough to justify the PTX or NCS6000. I could be wrong,
but that's my 1+1.

Mark.
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 20:46, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:

> Personally, I think IOS XR is too heavy for the Metro.

The new Cisco 8000 series ships with new, thinner variant of IOS-XR
(it is not same IOS-XR 7 that ASR9k will run). Potentially this
thinner IOS-XR could find home in Catalyst and ISR. As a customer, I'm
not sure if that is what I want. I think I may actually just want
monolithic IOS-XEd with _proper_ commit and BGP-API (so I can
implement policy language in language of my choice)

> So the Cisco 8000 is their attempt, I feel, to lure customers that need
> something larger than an MX or ASR9000 in the core or dense edge, but
> are not large enough to justify the PTX or NCS6000. I could be wrong,
> but that's my 1+1.

I suspect long term they intend to replace ASR9k with 8k series. But
GSR is still sold, by the time 8k is replaced, there probably still
are few ASR9k customers, so overlap will be thing for long long time.

--
++ytti
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 23/Jan/20 08:38, Saku Ytti wrote:

> The new Cisco 8000 series ships with new, thinner variant of IOS-XR
> (it is not same IOS-XR 7 that ASR9k will run). Potentially this
> thinner IOS-XR could find home in Catalyst and ISR. As a customer, I'm
> not sure if that is what I want. I think I may actually just want
> monolithic IOS-XEd with _proper_ commit and BGP-API (so I can
> implement policy language in language of my choice)

I'm with you on this.

> I suspect long term they intend to replace ASR9k with 8k series. But
> GSR is still sold, by the time 8k is replaced, there probably still
> are few ASR9k customers, so overlap will be thing for long long time.

It does make sense to converge a lot of IP/MPLS functionality around a
single box that is versatile enough to support it. Juniper have had wild
success with the MX since 2007, and you see it doing a lot of things in
many areas of the network to a point of making all their other (larger)
platforms almost irrelevant.

If Cisco feel converging a lot of stuff into the 8000 makes sense, I'd
say they should do it. I'm not sure the market still wants too many
boxes doing too many things in an era where operators are struggling to
keep equipment spending at levels where they were 10, 15, 20 years ago.

This is one of the reasons operators with enough in-house coding skill
are seriously looking to build (or already building) their own routers
with DPDK on white boxes + friends, even if those solutions may be
proprietary and used in targeted deployments, e.g., distributed
low-scale edge, e.t.c. Vendors need to wake up and realize they can't be
the only ones not willing to feel the impact of an age where the kids
don't want to pay for data.

Mark.

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 23/Jan/20 08:38, Saku Ytti wrote:

> The new Cisco 8000 series ships with new, thinner variant of IOS-XR
> (it is not same IOS-XR 7 that ASR9k will run). Potentially this
> thinner IOS-XR could find home in Catalyst and ISR. As a customer, I'm
> not sure if that is what I want. I think I may actually just want
> monolithic IOS-XEd with _proper_ commit and BGP-API (so I can
> implement policy language in language of my choice)

I'm with you on this.

> I suspect long term they intend to replace ASR9k with 8k series. But
> GSR is still sold, by the time 8k is replaced, there probably still
> are few ASR9k customers, so overlap will be thing for long long time.

It does make sense to converge a lot of IP/MPLS functionality around a
single box that is versatile enough to support it. Juniper have had wild
success with the MX since 2007, and you see it doing a lot of things in
many areas of the network to a point of making all their other (larger)
platforms almost irrelevant.

If Cisco feel converging a lot of stuff into the 8000 makes sense, I'd
say they should do it. I'm not sure the market still wants too many
boxes doing too many things in an era where operators are struggling to
keep equipment spending at levels where they were 10, 15, 20 years ago.

This is one of the reasons operators with enough in-house coding skill
are seriously looking to build (or already building) their own routers
with DPDK on white boxes + friends, even if those solutions may be
proprietary and used in targeted deployments, e.g., distributed
low-scale edge, e.t.c. Vendors need to wake up and realize they can't be
the only ones not willing to feel the impact of an age where the kids
don't want to pay for data.

Mark.

> This is one of the reasons operators with enough in-house coding skill are
> seriously looking to build (or already building) their own routers with
DPDK
> on white boxes + friends, even if those solutions may be proprietary and
> used in targeted deployments, e.g., distributed low-scale edge, e.t.c.
> Vendors need to wake up and realize they can't be the only ones not
willing
> to feel the impact of an age where the kids don't want to pay for data.

I think they are getting the message, nowadays you can run your custom
in-house built routing protocols in their SW or run their NOS on a custom
box, or skip the Control-Plane altogether while programming the FIBs
directly.

adam

> > If you can stomach the BU wars, UADP is a nice ASIC - I think the
> > Cat9k has legs, but the Enterprise BU is definitely in a parallel
> > universe. I asked about porting XR to run on UADP. That didn't really go
> over well.
>
> Personally, I think IOS XR is too heavy for the Metro.

But it's gonna be your only choice if you want to do any sensible automation
(or Junos).

adam

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 23/Jan/20 10:55, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:

> But it's gonna be your only choice if you want to do any sensible automation
> (or Junos).

Over the past 10 years of hearing about all the buzz words, it's very
safe to say that "automation" is whatever it means to you :-).

Mark.
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
I had that conversation the again other day - someone said they were
working on "automation" and when I probed deeper it revealed some (very
useful, albeit not scalable) scripting. 'You keep using that word. I do not
think it means what you think it means' seems to be the gist of most
"automation" conversations, and I'm guilty often as not - 'automate it'
seems to be a catch all for most of our operations issues.

- Thomas Scott | mr.thomas.scott@gmail.com <mr.thomas.scott@gmail.com>

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
I have been following the ACX 710 for a while now. We have a use case in
rural markets where we need a dense 10G hardened 1 RU box.

Looks like a promising box, hope the price is right. If not we may have to
jump to Cisco ASR920s

4 100/40G (can be channelized to 4x25G or 4x10G) interfaces, 24 1/10G
interfaces. Broadcom QAX chipset. 320Gbps of throughput. 3GB buffer.

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 23/Jan/20 16:00, Shamen Snyder wrote:

> I have been following the ACX 710 for a while now. We have a use case
> in rural markets where we need a dense 10G hardened 1 RU box.
>
> Looks like a promising box, hope the price is right. If not we may
> have to jump to Cisco ASR920s

If I'm honest, what I've noticed with most traditional vendors selling
Broadcom-based boxes is they are touting "price" as the killer use-case
for those boxes. For me, I'm not unwilling to spend a little bit more if
I can sleep at night knowing I have data plane parity between a
Broadcom-based box and an in-house-based box from the same traditional
vendor.

But time and time again, almost like clockwork, Broadcom-based boxes are
being marketed as "Multi-Gigabit" and "Multi-Terabit" platforms with a
gazillion ports at half the price of the "normal" box. What good is all
that hardware if a simple feature doesn't work as I've known it to
before "enhancing my network"?

> 4 100/40G (can be channelized to 4x25G or 4x10G) interfaces, 24 1/10G
> interfaces. Broadcom QAX chipset. 320Gbps of throughput. 3GB buffer.

What I saw about the ACX710 is it has a small FIB. Since we are used to
filtering what enters our ASR920 FIB (and the ACX710 has about 12.8
times that), that's not a show-stopper.

Mark.

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
What is Cisco's upgrade path from the ASR920 if you need more 10G ports?

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
That would be something like the NCS540.
Its not an apples-to-apples comparison — as the 540 runs XR and the usual things that come with that. There were some threads about it in [c-nsp] — might be something to explore. I feel its a bit heavyweight for the metro, but it gives you environmentally hardened 10GE with a variety of options for uplink.

q.

Quinn Snyder | snyderq@gmail.com

-= Sent via iPad. Please excuse grammar, spelling, and brevity =-

> On Jan 23, 2020, at 14:03, Colton Conor <colton.conor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ?What is Cisco's upgrade path from the ASR920 if you need more 10G ports?
>
>> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:52 PM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 23/Jan/20 16:00, Shamen Snyder wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been following the ACX 710 for a while now. We have a use case
>>> in rural markets where we need a dense 10G hardened 1 RU box.
>>>
>>> Looks like a promising box, hope the price is right. If not we may
>>> have to jump to Cisco ASR920s
>>
>> If I'm honest, what I've noticed with most traditional vendors selling
>> Broadcom-based boxes is they are touting "price" as the killer use-case
>> for those boxes. For me, I'm not unwilling to spend a little bit more if
>> I can sleep at night knowing I have data plane parity between a
>> Broadcom-based box and an in-house-based box from the same traditional
>> vendor.
>>
>> But time and time again, almost like clockwork, Broadcom-based boxes are
>> being marketed as "Multi-Gigabit" and "Multi-Terabit" platforms with a
>> gazillion ports at half the price of the "normal" box. What good is all
>> that hardware if a simple feature doesn't work as I've known it to
>> before "enhancing my network"?
>>

>>> 4 100/40G (can be channelized to 4x25G or 4x10G) interfaces, 24 1/10G
>>> interfaces. Broadcom QAX chipset. 320Gbps of throughput. 3GB buffer.
>>
>> What I saw about the ACX710 is it has a small FIB. Since we are used to
>> filtering what enters our ASR920 FIB (and the ACX710 has about 12.8
>> times that), that's not a show-stopper.
>>
>> Mark.

> > But it's gonna be your only choice if you want to do any sensible
> > automation (or Junos).
>
> Over the past 10 years of hearing about all the buzz words, it's very safe to
> say that "automation" is whatever it means to you :-).

Hahaha fair enough :)

adam

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 23/Jan/20 23:02, Colton Conor wrote:
> What is Cisco's upgrade path from the ASR920 if you need more 10G ports?

NCS540, which for me, is a broken path.

We are pushing for other considerations, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mark.
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 23/Jan/20 23:17, quinn snyder wrote:
> That would be something like the NCS540.
> Its not an apples-to-apples comparison — as the 540 runs XR and the usual things that come with that. There were some threads about it in [c-nsp] — might be something to explore. I feel its a bit heavyweight for the metro, but it gives you environmentally hardened 10GE with a variety of options for uplink.

Comes with Broadcom too, so definitely not apples-to-apples.

Mark.
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 22:52, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:

> If I'm honest, what I've noticed with most traditional vendors selling
> Broadcom-based boxes is they are touting "price" as the killer use-case

When we asked JNPR why Jericho instead of Paradise, as we see these
chips for the same market, JNPR told that main motivation was OAM
features which they lack in Paradise but need in metro.

--
++ytti
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 24/Jan/20 08:49, Saku Ytti wrote:

> When we asked JNPR why Jericho instead of Paradise, as we see these
> chips for the same market, JNPR told that main motivation was OAM
> features which they lack in Paradise but need in metro.

The OAM story came up as well, as being the major improvements from
Trident to Jericho.

If I'm honest, given that everything has gone IP + Cloud, the demand for
VPN's - as we've known them - is no longer there, really. Well, at least
in our market anyway. At which point we introduce the fresh buzzword for
2020 - "SD-WAN". Oooh, but don't forget, we now have "SD-LAN" and
"SD-WLAN". Just keeps getting better and better.

In short, we don't really have a huge OAM demand simply because our
customers just want simple IP. They just want to get to their Instagram.

Mark.
Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
Mark,

So which box is best to just get customers a simple IP, but has all the
management and metro-e requirements you need?

Re: ACX5448 & ACX710 [ In reply to ]
On 24/Jan/20 19:24, Colton Conor wrote:

> Mark,
>
> So which box is best to just get customers a simple IP, but has all
> the management and metro-e requirements you need?

Well, anything sold for a Metro-E application nowadays, whether it
supports MPLS or not, will always have some kind of OAM capability. This
is just vendors building what the industry asked for years ago, and
thinks the industry still needs today.

For us, 98% of the customers on our Metro-E network are simple IP
customers, i.e., DIA or IP Transit. They don't care about OAM. They just
want a connection they can use to access their cloud services.

Of the remaining 2% who buy only EoMPLS services, 0.5% of those ask
about OAM.

To put it another way - if vendors could build boxes and price them
cheaper because they had little or no OAM features (either by design or
via licenses), I'd buy them in an African minute.

Mark.