Now, we’re looking for something to use in the same role, but with higher 100G port density. The MX10003 seems like a good fit from a cost perspective verses something like an MX240, but also from a feature and performance perspective because it uses the same hardware as the MX204 in terms of EA Trios and CPU on the MPC, along with the CPU and memory on the RE (except the MX204 has 32GB on the RE as opposed to 64GB on the MX10003).

Wondering how folks are feeling about these boxes a couple of years later.

Thanks!
Re: MX10K3 Experiences, ~2 years later [ In reply to ]
On 18/Dec/19 19:47, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to follow up on a thread from a couple of years ago about the MX10003
>
> https://lists.gt.net/nsp/juniper/63670?search_string=mx10003
>
> We’ve got a bunch of MX204s that we use for peering and transit over LDP based L3VPN pinned up with IS-IS and BFD. We’re quite happy with these boxes from a cost, density and feature perspective. We’ve had no issues with them at all so far in the few months that they’ve been in the field.
>
> Now, we’re looking for something to use in the same role, but with higher 100G port density. The MX10003 seems like a good fit from a cost perspective verses something like an MX240, but also from a feature and performance perspective because it uses the same hardware as the MX204 in terms of EA Trios and CPU on the MPC, along with the CPU and memory on the RE (except the MX204 has 32GB on the RE as opposed to 64GB on the MX10003).
>
> Wondering how folks are feeling about these boxes a couple of years later.

We like the MX10003 as a 100Gbps edge router. It comes with the
additional port density and hardware redundancy that the MX204 doesn't
have, so it does have a role to play.

For customers that want 100Gbps ports, we will dump them on the MX10003.

Mark.
Re: MX10K3 Experiences, ~2 years later [ In reply to ]
My biggest complaint about the mx10003 is the absurd port restrictions. If
you use pic-level config, you can run all ports at 40G or 4x10G, but if you
want to use port-level speed config you have to set one of every 4 ports to
100G on pic 1 in each slot to be able to use all of the ports.

Be sure to check your desired config for compatibility:
https://apps.juniper.net/home/port-checker/index.html

--
Eldon

Re: MX10K3 Experiences, ~2 years later [ In reply to ]
Many absurd things will become reasonable and logical when they are
sufficiently understood.

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 17:22, Eldon Koyle
<ekoyle+puck.nether.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> My biggest complaint about the mx10003 is the absurd port restrictions. If
> you use pic-level config, you can run all ports at 40G or 4x10G, but if you
> want to use port-level speed config you have to set one of every 4 ports to
> 100G on pic 1 in each slot to be able to use all of the ports.
>
> Be sure to check your desired config for compatibility:
> https://apps.juniper.net/home/port-checker/index.html
>
> --
> Eldon
>
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 01:05 Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:
>

> > On 18/Dec/19 19:47, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wanted to follow up on a thread from a couple of years ago about the
> > MX10003
> > >
> > > https://lists.gt.net/nsp/juniper/63670?search_string=mx10003
> > >
> > > We’ve got a bunch of MX204s that we use for peering and transit over LDP
> > based L3VPN pinned up with IS-IS and BFD. We’re quite happy with these
> > boxes from a cost, density and feature perspective. We’ve had no issues
> > with them at all so far in the few months that they’ve been in the field.
> > >
> > > Now, we’re looking for something to use in the same role, but with
> > higher 100G port density. The MX10003 seems like a good fit from a cost
> > perspective verses something like an MX240, but also from a feature and
> > performance perspective because it uses the same hardware as the MX204 in
> > terms of EA Trios and CPU on the MPC, along with the CPU and memory on the
> > RE (except the MX204 has 32GB on the RE as opposed to 64GB on the MX10003).
> > >
> > > Wondering how folks are feeling about these boxes a couple of years
> > later.
> >
> > We like the MX10003 as a 100Gbps edge router. It comes with the
> > additional port density and hardware redundancy that the MX204 doesn't
> > have, so it does have a role to play.
> >
> > For customers that want 100Gbps ports, we will dump them on the MX10003.
> >
> > Mark.

++ytti
Re: MX10K3 Experiences, ~2 years later [ In reply to ]
Replace absurd with unexpected, then.

--
Eldon

Re: MX10K3 Experiences, ~2 years later [ In reply to ]
The pleasure and joy of a new box.

Mark.