Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: MX204 vs. MX240?? [ In reply to ]
Just to provide an update on this; Juniper are considering supporting
this ER (IPv6 BFD in hardware) in Junos 20.3R1, which is scheduled in 2H'20.

The time line is not yet committed from Juniper, so my SE is working on
that.

I'll keep you all posted.

Mark.

Re: MX204 vs. MX240?? [ In reply to ]
On 14.11.19 14:19, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:
> Also is there a cmd I can use to switch between LC CPU and LU?
>
> Thanks,
>
> adam
Maybe this - at least for LACP:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/inline-edit-protocols-lacp.html

> > But still I don't see how the LU microcode has the ability to actually
> > generate packets, let alone to host a complete daemon.
>
> It does, there is dispatch block in LU, in this callout block you generate parcel
> in timed manner, which will be given to some PPE, which causes the PPE to
> execute the correct microcode.
>
> PPM on LC CPU:
> IMPC0(r33.labxtx01.us.bb-re1 vty)# show ppm adjacencies
>

> PPM on NPU:
> IMPC0(r33.labxtx01.us.bb-re1 vty)# show ppm inline sessions
> bfd show PPM inline sessions for BFD
> cfm show PPM inline sessions for CFM
> lacp show PPM inline sessions for LACP
> lfm show PPM inline sessions for LFM
> vrrp show PPM inline sessions for VRRP

Interesting thanks a bunch,

So I guess this would be RE:
user@LAB> show ppm adjacencies
Protocol Hold time (msec)
BFD 3000

This would be LC CPU:
NPC10(LAB vty)# show ppm adjacencies
PPM distributed adjacencies
Protocol Holdtime (msec) PPM handle Inline
BFD 1500 1424 Yes
BFD 1500 1426 Yes
BFD 1500 1430 Yes
BFD 1500 1436 Yes
BFD 1500 1438 Yes
BFD 1500 1440 Yes
LACP 3000 1398 No
LACP 3000 1399 No
Total adjacencies: 8

NPC10(LAB vty)# show ppm inline sessions bfd
BFD Transmit Sessions:
----------------------
Handle Key
====== ===
1 0x01000004F0
2 0x01000004F1
4 0x01000004F4
15 0x01000004F8
17 0x01000004FA
18 0x01000004FB
Total sessions 6.

BFD Adjacency Sessions:
-----------------------
Handle Key
====== ===
13 0x00000004F0
14 0x00000004F1
10 0x00000004F4
16 0x00000004F8
19 0x00000004FA
20 0x00000004FB
Total sessions 6.

Looks like I see the BDF sessions all over the place on that lab box :)

adam

Re: MX204 vs. MX240?? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 18:02, <adamv0025@netconsultings.com> wrote:

> This would be LC CPU:
> NPC10(LAB vty)# show ppm adjacencies
> PPM distributed adjacencies
> Protocol Holdtime (msec) PPM handle Inline
> BFD 1500 1424 Yes
> BFD 1500 1426 Yes
> BFD 1500 1430 Yes
> BFD 1500 1436 Yes
> BFD 1500 1438 Yes
> BFD 1500 1440 Yes
> LACP 3000 1398 No
> LACP 3000 1399 No
> Total adjacencies: 8
>
> NPC10(LAB vty)# show ppm inline sessions bfd
> BFD Transmit Sessions:
> ----------------------
> Handle Key
> ====== ===
> 1 0x01000004F0
> 2 0x01000004F1
> 4 0x01000004F4
> 15 0x01000004F8
> 17 0x01000004FA
> 18 0x01000004FB
> Total sessions 6.
>
> BFD Adjacency Sessions:
> -----------------------
> Handle Key
> ====== ===
> 13 0x00000004F0
> 14 0x00000004F1
> 10 0x00000004F4
> 16 0x00000004F8
> 19 0x00000004FA
> 20 0x00000004FB
> Total sessions 6.
>
> Looks like I see the BDF sessions all over the place on that lab box :)

I think the LC PPMd is needed even for inline, because the LU can't
communicate with RE about what is needed to be done, so the LC PPMd
still handles the communication between RE, RE asks it do PPM for
something, then it may further delegate to NPU. So in your example,
the BFD are all further offloaded to NPU, LACP is not.

--
++ytti
Re: MX204 vs. MX240?? [ In reply to ]