Mailing List Archive

Re: [c-nsp] NFV
Hi Mike,

We run an openstack with VPP NFV setup with fortigate virtual firewalls.

To get to competitive performance we also use mellanox ConnectX NICs to
offload processing to this hardware.

A lot of effort has to be put into this setup to get good performance.
We have tested upto 10G bi-dir and 30k+ sessions, we are planning on
testing with higher speeds/more sessions soon.

Jac

On 23/09/2019 21:15, harbor235 wrote:
> Looking for real word experiences virtualizing router and firewall services
> with rates above 1Gbps on x86 platforms. Most testing I have been involved
> with virtualizing routers and firewalls, performance drops
> dramatically above 1Gbps.
>
> Connections per second are critical for a firewall in particular, can a
> virtual firewall handle high connections per second as appliances?
>
> Anyone experience good results at 10GigE with a virtual firewall?
>
> Where do you draw the line for router based virtualization?
>

> Mike

Jac Kloots

Teamlead Network Services
Network Department