I'm thinking refurbished hw. I only need 10G-ports, what MPC generation
would be suitable to swap to? Do I need to change SCB? Is the RE ok?

Johan
Re: Ramp up old MX480 [ In reply to ]
Hello,

for the minimum you will need to upgrade:

FFANTRAY-MX480-HC-S (high capacity fan tray to run MPC cards due to cooling)
MX-SCBE (req'd for MPC3+ cards)

as for line cards i'd suggest using?MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP, they are cheap used/refurb. If you are
running 3+ of these you might need to upgrade your power supplys (if using the old 1200W style).

Throw the DPCE-R away, these arent usable anymore and have long been EOL.
Your RE is EOL too, but will probably be fine untill JunOS 19.4. (plus service releases for some more time).

This minimum upgrade should keep you running for a while.

-J

Re: Ramp up old MX480 [ In reply to ]
Do you know if you have the enhanced mid-plane? If not, it’s a chassis upgrade to install MPC3 or better line cards.

- Brian

Re: Ramp up old MX480 [ In reply to ]
On 28.08.2019 17:10, Brian Johnson wrote:
> Do you know if you have the enhanced mid-plane? If not, it’s a chassis upgrade to install MPC3 or better line cards.

There is no need to upgrade the chassis even with old midplane. The worst you get is performance impact on MPC4/5E on SCBE2 or MPC10E on SCBE2/3.
All MPCs will work on old midplane (some with reduced capacity)

MPC7E and the already proposed 16 Port 10GE MPC (technically a quad MPC2 trio cramped into one card) work fine on the old mid-plane.

You will loose support for some linecards when upgrading fabrics (e.g. no DPC from SCBE2 onward, and no MPC1/2E(non NG) from SCBE3 onward)

If you only need some 10GE Ports you could just use the 16 Port 10GE Cards with the existing SCB and deactivate/use 8 of the ports. The cards are probably cheap enough on the second hand market to justify it.
If you can get used SCBEs you can go up to 12 Ports (1+1 fabrics) or 16 Ports (2+0 fabrics) if memory serves well.

For new cards cheapest per port price typically comes from MPC7E ... but overall costs depend on target number of 10GEs.
Cooling/Filter and Power supplies will need upgrading as already mentioned from others.

--
Kind Regards
Tobias Heister
Re: Ramp up old MX480 [ In reply to ]
Thank you for all answers!

Is there any licenses required for MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP, or is the "reduced
scale L3" only a gentlemen agreement?

Johan

Re: Ramp up old MX480 [ In reply to ]
Reduced scale is currently honor based. Please note that in the future, Juniper is very likely to put in SW hooks to make licenses actually active, and no longer honor based. This is likely to be across the whole product portfolio.

Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it