Mailing List Archive

CCC MPLS between EX4600 (ELS) and EX4200, just impossible?
Hi all,

Has anyone ever attempted/succeeded at getting a CCC VPN (either
ethernet-ccc or vlan-ccc) to work between a ELS switch like the EX4600
and an old switch like the EX4200? As far as I can see, all of the LSPs
and the connection itself come up just fine, labels are shared correctly
etc, but no traffic will pass back through the EX4600 CCC port, so it's
presumably just dropped by the switch.

Pages like this seem to suggest it's not possible to use the same sort
of workarounds as would be used to get en EX4200 to talk to an MX
(pop/push etc at the MX end);
https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB24409
"Note: This workaround does not work with the combination of different
EX platforms. For example, EX8200 and EX4200/EX3200."

I guess what I'd be interested in knowing (as I can't seem to see it on
my traffic dumps), is what the actual incompatibility is, in terms of
the encapsulation/packets, which is different between the two switches,
and whether there are any workarounds (all be it unsupported)?

The thing that stands out to me in a 'show interface', is that on the
EX4600 the encapsulation shows as 'ethernet-ccc' or 'vlan-ccc' as I'd
expect (and am familiar with on the ELS EX and MX platforms), but the
EX4200 end suggests encapsulation 'ENET2', even though it's configured
on the port with vlan-tagging and family ccc on the vlan unit (the
config is obviously different than on the 4600, as you don't specify an
encapsulation like that on the ex4200). Anyone any idea how ENET2
differs from ethernet/vlan-ccc encapsulation, and whether this could be
the issue? Output below.

Best,
Robin.

4200 output
-----------

admin@TEST-EX4200# show interfaces ge-0/0/12
vlan-tagging;
mtu 1588;
unit 633 {
vlan-id 633;
family ccc;
}

Logical interface ge-0/0/12.633 (Index 73) (SNMP ifIndex 547)
Flags: Up SNMP-Traps 0x0 VLAN-Tag [ 0x8100.633 ] Encapsulation: ENET2
Input packets : 6023
Output packets: 217474
Protocol ccc, MTU: 1588
Flags: Is-Primary

Connection/Circuit Type St Time last up #
Up trans
test1-test2_vlan633 rmt-if Up Mar 23
23:46:55 6
ge-0/0/12.633 intf Up
test1-test2_vlan633 tlsp Up
test2-test1_vlan633 rlsp Up
Incoming labels: 299856
Outgoing labels: Push 25

4600 output
------------
admin@TEST-4600# show interfaces ge-0/0/12
vlan-tagging;
mtu 1588;
encapsulation vlan-ccc;
unit 633 {
encapsulation vlan-ccc;
vlan-id 633;
family ccc;
}
Logical interface ge-0/0/12.633 (Index 555) (SNMP ifIndex 541)
Flags: Up SNMP-Traps 0x4000 VLAN-Tag [ 0x8100.633 ] Encapsulation:
VLAN-CCC
Input packets : 0
Output packets: 0
Protocol ccc, MTU: 1588
Flags: Is-Primary

Connection/Circuit Type St Time last up #
Up trans
test2-test1_vlan633 rmt-if Up Jul 27
00:29:05 8
ge-0/0/12.633 intf Up