Mailing List Archive

100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110
Has anyone gotten the Fiberstore 100G DAC to link up between a QFX and an MX? I got link between 2 MX using it without any issue but haven't had any luck to the QFX.

They detect ok:

Xcvr 48 REV 01 740-061001 C1905258091 QSFP28-100G-CU1M
Xcvr 49 REV 01 740-061001 C1905258082 QSFP28-100G-CU1M

Just won't come up:

et-0/0/48 up down
et-0/0/49 up down

Updated the 5110s to the JTAC recommended 18.1R3 but haven't established link to the MX's yet to bump them up from the default 17.1.

Thanks,
Eric

---

Re: 100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110 [ In reply to ]
Have a look at PR1352409.

Re: 100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110 [ In reply to ]
We have tested flexoptix 3rd party DAC between MX204 and QFX5120/QFX10002
with mixed results. Per release notes/ HCL, DAC isn't supported on MX204
until 18.2

https://apps.juniper.net/hct/product/#prd=MX204

We couldn't link anything with mx204 dac on anything below 18.2. There are
also a few DAC related PRs in the 18.2r1 release notes.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/18.2/junos-release-notes-18.2.pdf
Re: 100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110 [ In reply to ]
We've actually had the reverse issue where 17.4 is the only release that
some DACs will function. Any 18.x release seems to break them. These aren't
Juniper coded DACs, but just generic coded:

https://paste.somuch.fail/?248d62d55916f17b#+flZp6LEb0ZY48AI/3rc4YidWw6LENIQTPxpc4O6j7g=

--
Tim

Re: 100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110 [ In reply to ]
Is it just me or does 100GE have lot more interop issues than we had
with 1GE and 10GE?

Vendor rep explained it as MSA being too ambiguous so both can do
everything right and still not interop, unsure if defensive or
factual.

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 16:34, Tim Jackson <jackson.tim@gmail.com> wrote:

> We've actually had the reverse issue where 17.4 is the only release that
> some DACs will function. Any 18.x release seems to break them. These aren't
> Juniper coded DACs, but just generic coded:
>
> https://paste.somuch.fail/?248d62d55916f17b#+flZp6LEb0ZY48AI/3rc4YidWw6LENIQTPxpc4O6j7g=
>
> --
> Tim
>
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 8:24 AM Chris Wopat <me@falz.net> wrote:
>
> > We have tested flexoptix 3rd party DAC between MX204 and QFX5120/QFX10002
> > with mixed results. Per release notes/ HCL, DAC isn't supported on MX204
> > until 18.2
> >
> > https://apps.juniper.net/hct/product/#prd=MX204
> >
> > We couldn't link anything with mx204 dac on anything below 18.2. There are
> > also a few DAC related PRs in the 18.2r1 release notes.
> >

> > https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/18.2/junos-release-notes-18.2.pdf

++ytti
Re: 100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110 [ In reply to ]
Don't think it's just you. We've had tons of issues with QSFP28 optics
across all sorts of hardware.

--
Tim

Re: 100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110 [ In reply to ]
I tried 17.3 and 17.2 based on a PR, but let me try 17.4. Can't hurt. So
far none of the 4 versions have done anything for me.

Don't think it's just you. We've had tons of issues with QSFP28 optics
across all sorts of hardware.

--
Tim

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 8:38 AM Saku Ytti <saku@ytti.fi> wrote:

> Is it just me or does 100GE have lot more interop issues than we had
> with 1GE and 10GE?
>
> Vendor rep explained it as MSA being too ambiguous so both can do
> everything right and still not interop, unsure if defensive or
> factual.
>

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 16:34, Tim Jackson <jackson.tim@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We've actually had the reverse issue where 17.4 is the only release
> > that some DACs will function. Any 18.x release seems to break them.
> > These
> aren't
> > Juniper coded DACs, but just generic coded:
> >

> https://paste.somuch.fail/?248d62d55916f17b#+flZp6LEb0ZY48AI/3rc4YidWw
> 6LENIQTPxpc4O6j7g=
> >
> > --
> > Tim
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 8:24 AM Chris Wopat <me@falz.net> wrote:
> >
> > > We have tested flexoptix 3rd party DAC between MX204 and
> QFX5120/QFX10002
> > > with mixed results. Per release notes/ HCL, DAC isn't supported on
> MX204
> > > until 18.2
> > >
> > > https://apps.juniper.net/hct/product/#prd=MX204
> > >
> > > We couldn't link anything with mx204 dac on anything below 18.2.
> > > There
> are
> > > also a few DAC related PRs in the 18.2r1 release notes.
> > >

> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products
> /topic-collections/release-notes/18.2/junos-release-notes-18.2.pdf

> ++ytti

---

Re: 100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110 [ In reply to ]
+1

We've had some serious issues with Juniper AOC cables between QFX and MX. It worked with the factory-installed version 15.1X, but then after upgrading QFX to >=17 train caused the AOC work only between two QFX switches, but not between QFX and MX, regardless of FEC etc. configuration. Then finally in some SR release AOC again started to work.

This was AOC specific issue and in fact we have more or less abandoned AOC cables, but nevertheless 100G seems to be much more difficult to interop than previous speed generations.

Antti

Re: 100G DAC issue between MX204 and QFX5110 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 08:16:11PM +0300, Antti Ristim?ki wrote:
> This was AOC specific issue and in fact we have more or less abandoned AOC cables, but nevertheless 100G seems to be much more difficult to interop than previous speed generations.

Since you actually used Juniper AOCs - what was their stance on this?

I can see the usual "this is not a genuine $Vendor optics, so if it does
not work, it's not our problem" stance, but if all involved devices plus
optics are "same vendor", it's very much their problem to make it work...

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de