would rather not add a switch if I don't have to).
--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>
Re: 4x1G QSFP? [ In reply to ]
On Thu May 23, 2019 at 02:41:34PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> While looking at the Juniper port configurator for MX204 and MX10003, I
> noticed a 4x1G selection for the QSFP+/QSFP28 ports. I haven't seen a
> 4x1G QSFP; is that an actual available thing? For example, I usually
> get modules from FiberStore, and I don't see such there (don't see such
> a Juniper part either).

You can use a QSFP+ 4x10G optic, and configure the ports to run at 1G instead
of 10G. You can even mix-and-match 10G and 1G

simon.lockhart@cr-01.xxx-re0> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory:
[snip]
FPC 0 REV 24 750-066879 CAKxxxxx LC2103
PIC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN 6xQSFPP
Xcvr 0 REV 01 740-045627 F8xxxxx 40GBASE eSR4

simon.lockhart@cr-01.xxx-re0> show configuration | display set | match 1G
set interfaces xe-0/0/0:3 gigether-options speed 1g

simon.lockhart@cr-01.xxx-re0> show interfaces xe-0/0/0:3 | match Speed
Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1518, MRU: 1526, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: 10Gbps,
Speed Configuration: 1G

Simon
Re: 4x1G QSFP? [ In reply to ]
https://apps.juniper.net/home/#MX204/Hardware+Compatibility

maybe it's one of those listed as QSFP+ to SFP+

- Aaron

Re: 4x1G QSFP? [ In reply to ]
Once upon a time, Simon Lockhart <simon@slimey.org> said:
> On Thu May 23, 2019 at 02:41:34PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > While looking at the Juniper port configurator for MX204 and MX10003, I
> > noticed a 4x1G selection for the QSFP+/QSFP28 ports. I haven't seen a
> > 4x1G QSFP; is that an actual available thing? For example, I usually
> > get modules from FiberStore, and I don't see such there (don't see such
> > a Juniper part either).
>
> You can use a QSFP+ 4x10G optic, and configure the ports to run at 1G instead
> of 10G. You can even mix-and-match 10G and 1G

Ah, okay. This may be a dumber question then: do SFP+ optics typically
support a 1G mode as well? I've never actually tried that (just plugged
a 1G SFP into the SFP+ port as needed).

--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>
Re: 4x1G QSFP? [ In reply to ]
I think the definition of SFP+ is 1g or 10g whichever you insert

-Aaron

Re: 4x1G QSFP? [ In reply to ]
On Thu May 23, 2019 at 03:07:00PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Ah, okay. This may be a dumber question then: do SFP+ optics typically
> support a 1G mode as well? I've never actually tried that (just plugged
> a 1G SFP into the SFP+ port as needed).

MX204 supports 1G SFPs in the SFP+ ports. (MX10003 doesn't have any SFP+ ports)

I've seen 10G SFP+ modules inserted in 1G SFP ports, and work just fine at
1G, but I suspect it depends on using an SFP+ that's multirate.

Simon
Re: 4x1G QSFP? [ In reply to ]
Once upon a time, Simon Lockhart <simon@slimey.org> said:
> On Thu May 23, 2019 at 03:07:00PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Ah, okay. This may be a dumber question then: do SFP+ optics typically
> > support a 1G mode as well? I've never actually tried that (just plugged
> > a 1G SFP into the SFP+ port as needed).
>
> MX204 supports 1G SFPs in the SFP+ ports. (MX10003 doesn't have any SFP+ ports)

Right, I've got some MX204s with 1G SFPs in the SFP+ ports (had to get
18.0 for that support), and yeah, I was just looking for a potential way
to get some 1G fiber connections into an MX10003.

> I've seen 10G SFP+ modules inserted in 1G SFP ports, and work just fine at
> 1G, but I suspect it depends on using an SFP+ that's multirate.

Right. But what you are saying is that a QSFP+ 4x10G will actually run
a channel at 1G (to a 1G SFP in another device for example)?

Thanks.
--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>
Re: 4x1G QSFP? [ In reply to ]
On Thu May 23, 2019 at 03:15:11PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > I've seen 10G SFP+ modules inserted in 1G SFP ports, and work just fine at
> > 1G, but I suspect it depends on using an SFP+ that's multirate.
>
> Right. But what you are saying is that a QSFP+ 4x10G will actually run
> a channel at 1G (to a 1G SFP in another device for example)?

Yes, I've done exactly that on MX10003. If it makes a difference, I'm using
Flexoptix QSFP+'s (part number Q.8540G.02)

Simon
Re: 4x1G QSFP? [ In reply to ]
Once upon a time, Simon Lockhart <simon@slimey.org> said:
> On Thu May 23, 2019 at 03:15:11PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > > I've seen 10G SFP+ modules inserted in 1G SFP ports, and work just fine at
> > > 1G, but I suspect it depends on using an SFP+ that's multirate.
> >
> > Right. But what you are saying is that a QSFP+ 4x10G will actually run
> > a channel at 1G (to a 1G SFP in another device for example)?
>
> Yes, I've done exactly that on MX10003. If it makes a difference, I'm using
> Flexoptix QSFP+'s (part number Q.8540G.02)

Cool, thanks!
--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>