Does anyone have, I dunno, some sort of dump of all the public PR data, and subsequent prsubscription data archived anywhere searchable?

--
Nathan Ward

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 May 2019, Nathan Ward wrote:

> Is it actually coming back? Hard to believe the “technical issue” given how long it’s been, seems like a pretty big systemic issue rather than a technical one. “Actively worked on” seems pretty inactive, to me.

Maybe it runs on Space, and they're just waiting for the web service to restart...

Asked the account team about it today. Doesn't sound like there are any
definitive answers.

-Rob

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
> On 8/05/2019, at 7:05 PM, Rob Foehl <rwf@loonybin.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 7 May 2019, Nathan Ward wrote:
>
>> Is it actually coming back? Hard to believe the “technical issue” given how long it’s been, seems like a pretty big systemic issue rather than a technical one. “Actively worked on” seems pretty inactive, to me.
>
> Maybe it runs on Space, and they're just waiting for the web service to restart…

Hah, love it.

> Asked the account team about it today. Doesn't sound like there are any definitive answers.

Don’t worry though, they’re happy to tell you all about how Automation is useful, for “agiilty”: https://twitter.com/JuniperNetworks/status/1126125368082141184 <https://twitter.com/JuniperNetworks/status/1126125368082141184>

There’s a “practice what you preach” thing here.

--
Nathan Ward

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
Contacted someone internally and yes this is being worked on. The time period is "end of Q2, hopefully sooner". In the meantime, if you need comparison between 2 releases of same major release, then TAC should be able to generate this for you via internal PR DIFF tool. This only works between release of the same major version.

Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
> On 9/05/2019, at 10:44 AM, Richard McGovern <rmcgovern@juniper.net> wrote:
>
> Contacted someone internally and yes this is being worked on. The time period is "end of Q2, hopefully sooner".

Can you shed any light on what on earth is going on, and why? It seems crazy that a company would disable this sort of thing intentionally for such a long time and with such poor comms and timing info. “Technical issue” sounds like an accident - but surely a restore from backup would work, right?
I cannot think of a scenario here which looks anywhere remotely positive for Juniper - every scenario I can consider has a root cause of “complete and utter incompetence” somewhere along the chain.
I really like Juniper, so I’ve searched, but, this is a hard one, help me out here..

> In the meantime, if you need comparison between 2 releases of same major release, then TAC should be able to generate this for you via internal PR DIFF tool. This only works between release of the same major version.

Nope, JTAC are not authorised to provide that info from the internal tool - here is a quote from a JTAC person just a couple days ago:
> And regarding PRs delta between your present release and 17.4R2-S2 release , JTAC is not authorised to provide that info. I suggest you to reach out to juniper accounts team who can help you on this

Why? I have no idea, maybe this engineer was just lazy but I’ve had the same from someone else too I think. Maybe it’s so sales can hide the really bad bugs that might impact a sale? I really cannot understand why this has to be done by accounts people otherwise, what’s the difference who does it?

Luckily I have a great local SE - but I am certain plenty of customers do not.

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
>> And regarding PRs delta between your present release and 17.4R2-S2 release , JTAC is not authorised to provide that info. I suggest you to reach out to juniper accounts team who can help you on this
>
> Why? I have no idea, maybe this engineer was just lazy but I’ve had the same from someone else too I think. Maybe it’s so sales can hide the really bad bugs that might impact a sale? I really cannot understand why this has to be done by accounts people otherwise, what’s the difference who does it?

More likely they have been told not to provide this in order to help get people to buy PIIR/SURR reports as part of professional services.
Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
https://kb.juniper.net/KB33515

If i recall correctly what i heard about it.

There is some third party(or smth) search engine which is(was) used and
it had issues. And there is no way to upgrade/fix that engine as it out
of support/development.
So i has to be replaced or re-written from scratch.

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
Nathan, I am not sure what you want to hear, or what would make you satisfied, but YES Juniper [IT?] did screw-up, and a restore from back-up was/is not possible. So this situation is now being worked on, unfortunately at a not so fast pace. I hope you decide to stay with Juniper, as I feel there are far worse things one could be concerned about than this.

Just my 2 cents worth. The devil you know, is often better than the devil you do not know, . . .

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
Tom, sorry but that is way far-fetched. Nathan, if TAC will not provide you this info, then I am sure your local SE can assist. I know I can/would for any of my accounts.

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
As someone who has a P1 case open on the QFX10008 (8.4R1.8) [WMU has retreated to 8.1R3.3] now sitting at day 15 that produced

three different types of core dumps with issues on the ULC-30Q28, ULC-60S-6Q, and MSNOOPD, it would be really nice to go fishing

on the bugs myself. I have found the equivalent feature at Cisco useful in the past.

Perhaps someone could light a fire under the appropriate team.

Perhaps Juniper and Cisco could both learn is that customers want a stable support site whose elements don't move around. We expect

tools to work and documentation links to be available for years...

Jim Cotton

Sr Network Engineer

Western Michigan University

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 1:54 PM Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net> wrote:
> Nathan, I am not sure what you want to hear, or what would make you satisfied, but YES Juniper [IT?] did screw-up, and a restore from back-up was/is not possible. So this situation is now being worked on, unfortunately at a not so fast pace. I hope you decide to stay with Juniper, as I feel there are far worse things one could be concerned about than this.

You're downplaying the issue with the wrong arguments imho. For a lot
of us it is an important tool in our daily routine and in fact
offloads work from both our (operational/design) teams -and- yours.
I'm willing to bet the amount of time JTAC and local account teams
have had and are going to spend on customer queries due to the tool
being unavailable, far outweighs the cost of a small team of
developers to fix this within a few weeks.
And yes, agreed, mistakes are a fact of life, that's how we all
(hopefully) learn to improve. But why it takes 6+ months to fix
something as seemingly trivial as this is beyond me.

And yes, we and many others have bitched and moaned about it to our
local account teams, including the whole website layout and
accessibility to key technical information getting worse and worse on
every iteration. The account team agrees, confirms they receive the
same feedback from other customers, they relay the feedback to the
people in charge, and a few days later we get the next "new and
improved" website infested with even more marketing B/S... To me these
are some of the signs the company isn't prioritising correctly and
isn't truly listening to its customers.

Luckily your competitors aren't doing much better ;-)

BR, Daniël.
Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
* Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp <juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net> [2019-05-09 13:58]:
> Tom, sorry but that is way far-fetched. Nathan, if TAC will not
> provide you this info, then I am sure your local SE can assist. I
> know I can/would for any of my accounts.

I don't know, Juniper seems to go strange ways in terms of support,
licensing and related stuff lately...

I'm not saying Tom got it right, I'm just saying I've heard enough
lately to not entirely rule it out.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x58A2D94A93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A 9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
-- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant
Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
> On 9/05/2019, at 11:52 PM, Richard McGovern <rmcgovern@juniper.net> wrote:
>
> Nathan, I am not sure what you want to hear, or what would make you satisfied, but YES Juniper [IT?] did screw-up, and a restore from back-up was/is not possible. So this situation is now being worked on, unfortunately at a not so fast pace. I hope you decide to stay with Juniper, as I feel there are far worse things one could be concerned about than this.

Well, I was hoping that someone had an archive of it all somewhere.

It’s unfortunate that the backup didn’t work. It’s of course also very concerning. Was it running on myspace or something?
(https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/18/18271023/myspace-music-videos-deleted-2003-2015-server-migration <https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/18/18271023/myspace-music-videos-deleted-2003-2015-server-migration>)

> Just my 2 cents worth. The devil you know, is often better than the devil you do not know, . . .

I don’t know if I understand your point here - I mean, that’s *exactly* why you use a tool like prsearch - to find the devils you don’t know.. right?

Anyway, hopefully you have something you can point the internal IT people at now, to indicate how frustrating this is for your customers and that it needs to be fixed.

--
Nathan Ward

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
> On 9/05/2019, at 11:55 PM, Richard McGovern <rmcgovern@juniper.net> wrote:
>
> Tom, sorry but that is way far-fetched. Nathan, if TAC will not provide you this info, then I am sure your local SE can assist. I know I can/would for any of my accounts.

Oh sure, my local SE is great, as noted earlier in the thread.

I don’t know that it’s *that* far fetched though.. it pretty explicitly says “you can pay us for this!” in the KB.

--
Nathan Ward

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
> On 14/05/2019, at 1:17 AM, Nathan Ward <juniper-nsp@daork.net> wrote:
>

>> On 9/05/2019, at 11:52 PM, Richard McGovern <rmcgovern@juniper.net <mailto:rmcgovern@juniper.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Nathan, I am not sure what you want to hear, or what would make you satisfied, but YES Juniper [IT?] did screw-up, and a restore from back-up was/is not possible. So this situation is now being worked on, unfortunately at a not so fast pace. I hope you decide to stay with Juniper, as I feel there are far worse things one could be concerned about than this.
>
> Well, I was hoping that someone had an archive of it all somewhere.

Actually.

There’s a PR subscription service mentioned in that KB.

If I sub, I only get future. Can you or someone else provide me with a history of that?

--
Nathan Ward

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
Nathan, not sure what history you are seeking, but if tell me what PR listing you seek, I'll see what I can gather.

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Was reminded of this today. I see that basic search will be fixed by 2019-08-05 - but still no comparison between releases which really is the key thing that people want.

I’d like a dump of all the PRs and “fixed in release x” details, so I can build my own PR search tool and make it available to the community.

I believe I can extract new PR details from the email subscription - but I won’t have history.

I can just query it in a loop starting at PR1, but, perhaps it would be easier to get a dump of them?

I’m in San Jose next week - can pop up the road with a floppy disk or two if it’s hard for Juniper IT to send me a big file?

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
I am doing some new checking. I am like 99.9% sure the floppy disk idea will not fly -__

Hopefully I will have an update sometime next week. Enjoy your visit to San Jose.

Regards, Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
And it's 5th August and as promised in the last KB update PR Search
functionality is now back online! Thank you all at Juniper who worked on
restoring this to service!

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
Yeah, thanks Juniper for taking a year to fix a critical tool for network engineers.

I'll be right back, I just upgraded one of my Juniper devices and now my network is on fire.

Re: prsearch missing in inaction [ In reply to ]
Agreed it was offline for far too long, in fact even when it was still
operational it clearly wasn't indexing for months since I could search for
a release and model number and miss heaps of PR's that were in release
notes or mentioned by JTAC in cases I'd logged when things were on fire.