Mailing List Archive

rfc8097 (rpki) communities ?
Hi!

Somewhat stupid question: while experimenting with rpki, I found that
while rfc8097 declares origin validation state as extended community
(0x4300:0.0.0.0:N in juniper configuration terms), Juniper documentation
uses standard communities 0x4300:N for this purpose:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/bgp-origin-as-validation.html

Junos OS supports the following well-known extended communities for
route validation:

origin-validation-state-valid
origin-validation-state-invalid
origin-validation-state-unknown

[...]

set policy-options community origin-validation-state-invalid members 0x4300:2
set policy-options community origin-validation-state-unknown members 0x4300:1
set policy-options community origin-validation-state-valid members 0x4300:0

Of course, these communities are not translated to extended ones and
sent as standard 17152:N ones.

One more interesting thing: when I configure RPKI communities manually:

set policy-options community origin_invalid members 0x4300:0.0.0.0:2
set policy-options community origin_unknown members 0x4300:0.0.0.0:1
set policy-options community origin_valid members 0x4300:0.0.0.0:0

and use them to announce validation information to other routers,
these communities displayed either as 'unknown iana opaque':

Communities: unknown iana opaque 0x4300:0x0:0x2

(junos 17.3R3-S3.3 and 18.3R1-S2.1) or even as just 'unknown iana 4300'
(15.1R6).

Question: is it just a bit outdated documentaton and I shall follow
RFC and use extended communities, or there are some other reasons
to use standard ones ?

Re: rfc8097 (rpki) communities ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 04:17:19PM +0300, Alexandre Snarskii wrote:
> Somewhat stupid question: while experimenting with rpki, I found that
> while rfc8097 declares origin validation state as extended community
> (0x4300:0.0.0.0:N in juniper configuration terms), Juniper documentation
> uses standard communities 0x4300:N for this purpose:
>
> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/bgp-origin-as-validation.html

I suspect this is a documentation bug, they probably meant to use
'arbitrary extended community' syntax.

> Question: is it just a bit outdated documentaton and I shall follow
> RFC and use extended communities, or there are some other reasons to
> use standard ones ?

The "0x4300:1" syntax squats on AS 17152's community space, so that's
not nice.

I think a nice feature of the RFC 8097 communities is that they aren't
transitive, and you can reference the RFC for the documentation aspect
of assigning those communities.

Kind regards,

Job
Re: rfc8097 (rpki) communities ? [ In reply to ]
Re: rfc8097 (rpki) communities ? [ In reply to ]
Jeff, Job,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 8:47 PM Jeff Haas via juniper-nsp <
juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> > On Mar 5, 2019, at 02:04, Job Snijders <job@instituut.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 04:17:19PM +0300, Alexandre Snarskii wrote:
> >> Somewhat stupid question: while experimenting with rpki, I found that
> >> while rfc8097 declares origin validation state as extended community
> >> (0x4300:0.0.0.0:N in juniper configuration terms), Juniper
> documentation
> >> uses standard communities 0x4300:N for this purpose:
> >>

> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/bgp-origin-as-validation.html
> >
> > I suspect this is a documentation bug, they probably meant to use
> > 'arbitrary extended community' syntax.
>
> FWIW, I don't see non-extended community syntax in this documentation
> page. It'd be a doc bug.

I've had this fixed months ago after reporting it to our documentation
teams.
So Job was correct but it is fixed now.

Cheers,
Melchior