can tell.

This YouTube video mentions Juniper working with partners, they even
mention one, but I can't make out the name at time 11:48. Can anyone
translate? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeprCbmuqLA

Does anyone know why the entire ACX line does not have Junos Telemetry
Interface (JTI)? Is this a coming feature to the ACX platform?

Besides SNMP, ICMP, and JTI, are there any other protocols that can be used
for networking monitoring and management in Juniper that I am unaware of?
Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Sounds like SevOne to me (https://www.sevone.com/)

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Dave,

Yep, it looks like the video is mentioning SevOne that's them thanks
https://www.sevone.com/streamingdatacollectors

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
I think Grafana is also capable of receiving this Telemetry info

Maybe someone else can share how to make that work

I’m also wanting to use JTI in ACX, And wondering if that capability is coming soon

https://grafana.com/

https://github.com/brunorijsman/juniper-grafana

Aaron

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Aaron,

Yes, OpenNTI includes Grafana.
https://techmocha.blog/2017/06/26/using-opennti-as-a-collector-for-streaming-telemetry-from-juniper-devices-part-1/

Doesn't Grafana require alot of work to get all the sensors setup though?
AKA its not as simple as an SMNP walk with established NMS software
providers?

Anyone for Juniper than can comment on the ACX series supporting JTI? An
ACX5048 is hardware wise identical to the QFX5100, and the QFX5100
support's JTI. So it has to be just software right?

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
I’ve been working on getting telemetry analytics data into a Ubuntu server running grafana and other things like influxdb, telegraf, etc, etc… working with a linux engineer coworker. We have seen the MX960 sensor telem data getting sent to the Ubuntu/grafana server using tcpdump and nc (netcat), but unable to get it ingested into the correct data collector mechanism… trying to learn… I understand that the MX960 sends telem data as transport udp or grpc and formatted as gpb or gbp self described, but, again, unable to get it ingested into my Ubuntu/grafana telem collector station.

…we also had put open-nti on the ubuntu server too… we are unsuccessful in getting the open-nti docker image to start.

I read somewhere that if there are ports in use that are also needed for the open-nti docker container (8086, 50000, etc) then docker will fail to start image. Unsure if this is my issue but wouldn’t be surprised if it is, as I believe we’ve loaded items in their native form (grafana , influxdb, etc) and then also open-nti which I understand is a nicely contained package of all those said items…. Which is why we are going to start with a clean slate tomorrow , a new Ubuntu image and only go with open-nti.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll try to circle back and share any successes along the way.

-Aaron

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Wanted to circle back with y'all... I finally got this working...thanks to techmocha10 (see below) and my linux coworker genius (Dave),

I'll just copy/paste a post I just made...

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/vMX/Telemetry-data-is-not-streaming-from-Juniper-vMX-17-4R1-16/m-p/375996#M923

I got telemetry streaming working using this site ... I have a couple MX960's streaming telemetry to the suite of software provided in this Open-NTI project spoken of on this techmocha blog site. I think my previous problems were related to conflicting installs.... as myself and my coworker had loaded individual items and then the open-nti suite (which i understand is a docker container with all the items like grafana, fluentd, chronograf, influxdb, etc).... anyway, we started with a fresh install Ubunto virtual machine and *only* loaded Open-NTI and it works.

I do not know or understand all of the innerworkings of it at this point, but am quickly learning, even while writing this post... I'm currently using Chronograf hosted at port 8888 and browsing the Data Explorer function and seeing some nice graphs. (I'm wondering if Chrongraf is simply an alternative to Grafana gui front end, unsure) There seems to be tons of items to monitor and analyze, and I'm currently only sending the following sensor resource from the MX960 and there are several more that can be sent.... /junos/system/linecard/interface/

I am sending the telemetry from the MX960 using UDP transport and GPB format to port 50000 and source port 21111 (mx960-1) and 21112 (mx960-2). I'm unsure that I had to use unique source ports... as I wonder if the source-ip would have been sufficient to make the streaming sources unique in the Open-NTI server.

Looking at the techmocha pictures, and the "docker ps" command on the linux server, and now this new-found techmocha link (see "deconstructed" below) apparently FluentD is the TSDB (time series db) that is receiving/ingesting the *Native* streaming form of telemetry from my MX960's on udp port 50000 and looks like fluentd hands off that data to InfluxDB port 8086 (which i think happens internally at that server). (I'm not evening talking about the other form of jti telemetry using openconfig and grpc....I've yet to do that and don't know why I would exactly...which i beleive is ingested using telegraf, unsure)

...the link i followed to deploy open-nti suite....
https://techmocha.blog/2017/06/26/using-opennti-as-a-collector-for-streaming-telemetry-from-juniper-devices-part-1/#comments

...interestingly, i just now found this, which apparently is a way of deploying all the components individually...
https://techmocha.blog/2017/10/31/serving-up-opennti-deconstructed/

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Fantastic news Aaron!

That tallies with our experience of deploying the 'bundle' version of OpenNTI
for Junos ST.

We look forward to your shared experiences as you kick the tyres and -
hopefully - incorporate this into your NMS/procedures. :)

Many thanks,
Niall

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Related, my company open sourced a tool we've been working on for network
telemetry at NANOG in Vancouver. I'm 95% sure that a JTI receiver is
functional on our internal builds, but they're still working on a few
things with streaming receivers generally, so it's not yet in the public
repo. May be something that can meet your needs at some point if you wanted
to keep an eye on it.

https://github.com/yahoo/panoptes

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Yes Niall, lets stay in touch.

Thanks Tom, I’ll have to look at Panoptes

Aaron

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Guys,

I wanted to follow up and see how things are going with JTI?

Also, it has been brought to my attention that OpenNMS supports JTI. I was
not aware of that, so I figured I would share with others:
https://docs.opennms.org/opennms/branches/develop/guide-admin/guide-admin.html#ga-telemetryd

Re: Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI) [ In reply to ]
Response to old thread and referencing my new thread…

“[j-nsp] telemetry analytics - mx960 - npu packet rate concerns”

My JTI/OpenNTI systems seems to be continuing to run nicely. I use it when I really need to know some details.

In the new thread I mentioned above, I was curious about my CGNat MS-MPC-128G resource utilization and starting digging around in those sensor agent and their data I’ve been receiving in my telem station.

I’ll copy and paste from that other thread for convienience.

Using my JTI/Chronograf/Grafana web interface I'm trying to understand some of the telemetry analytics data I'm seeing coming from what appears to be the sensor resource of my MX960 corresponding to /junos/system/linecard/npu/utilization/ .. The field seen on chronograf that I'm watching is "npu_util_stats.packets.rate"

When using the Chronograf data explorer and picking one MX960 and a certain _seq number (0-14 , I don't know what these are) I'm seeing some significant drops in the graph during peak time (approx. 7 - 10 p.m.) watching "npu_util_stats.packets.rate" with mean function (as opposed to median, count, min, max, etc, etc). In other words, the graph shows a typical ramp-up approaching peak times, and ramp-down during the late night hours..

But about a week ago, I started seeing dramatic drops/sags in the graph during those 7-10 p.m. hours.

I'd like to try to figure out what those drops are related to. I'm wondering if this is the MS-MPC-128G npu's in-use for my cgnat.. I've been loading it up quite a bit lately with thousands more subscribers behind it, and am trying to watch how it scales. and if I have any reason for concerns regarding resource load, etc.

If you unicast email me, I’ll send you screen shots of my telem graphs that are giving me concern and the sensor agent strings that I’m looking at.

Thanks y’all

- Aaron