Mailing List Archive

uRPF - Performance (fwd)
We have conducted tests that show that with very heavy firewall filters
(3000 terms ingress and egress, lotsa layer4 ops, port ranges, etc), you
will get 22.4M pps, not 12.5. If you are getting 12.5, then your line
cards aren't well distributed on the FPC's to assure that packets will
always egress out all FPCs (statistical varience due to the stipe-write
of jcells to all FPCs).

The test was on an M40e, but it's the same IP2.

-igor

uRPF - Performance (fwd) [ In reply to ]
Although it's the same IP2, M40e has twice the FPCs of the M20 I've tested
(8 vs 4). Also, FPCs for the M40e comes in two flavors: FPC1 and FPC2, and
they are both different from the M20 FPC (used on the M40)... JunOS version
may also be different.

Rubens

| We have conducted tests that show that with very heavy firewall filters
| (3000 terms ingress and egress, lotsa layer4 ops, port ranges, etc), you
| will get 22.4M pps, not 12.5. If you are getting 12.5, then your line
| cards aren't well distributed on the FPC's to assure that packets will
| always egress out all FPCs (statistical varience due to the stipe-write
| of jcells to all FPCs).
|
| The test was on an M40e, but it's the same IP2.
|
| -igor
|
| On
| Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
|

| > There is a performance drop from 40Mpps to 12.5Mpps when use anything
other
| > than standard plain routing... if you have a firewall-filter configured,
it
| > already has such a penalty in place.Although it's 125 times your peak
| > traffic flow, you should consider the peak traffic that a DoS attack can
| > generate on the router, not your usual traffic. Even than, it's very
| > unlikely that usual configurations of M-5, M-10 and M-20 interfaces can
sum
| > up to that amount.
| >

| > Rubens

| > |
| > | Has anyone enabled uRPF on their network and do you have any lessoned
| > | learned? I would like to iron out the quirks prior to deployment.
| > |
| > | Jack W. Parks IV
| > | Sr. Network Engineer
| > | ALLTEL Communications