browser on a pop host and redirect the DISPLAY. is there a known
legit way to ftp juniper images?

randy
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:05:54PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> i am a legit juniper customer. i want to get and install a new
> image in a router in a pop. but i am at home on a (relatively)
> slow dsl link. i don't want to spend an hour slurping it from
> https://download.juniper.net/software/junos/..., and then push it
> back out my dsl to the pop. and i would prefer not to install a
> browser on a pop host and redirect the DISPLAY. is there a known
> legit way to ftp juniper images?

pkg_add -r lynx-ssl :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
> pkg_add -r lynx-ssl :)

i already tried that

# ls -d /var/db/pkg/lynx-*
/var/db/pkg/lynx-ssl-2.8.4.1c/

i get password/auth error using the userid/password i use for
auth to juniper's web site.

randy
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> i am a legit juniper customer. i want to get and install a new
> image in a router in a pop. but i am at home on a (relatively)
> slow dsl link. i don't want to spend an hour slurping it from
> https://download.juniper.net/software/junos/..., and then push it
> back out my dsl to the pop. and i would prefer not to install a
> browser on a pop host and redirect the DISPLAY. is there a known
> legit way to ftp juniper images?

How about wget from a Linux system at the POP? It's a command line web
downloader which supports HTTPS (as well as HTTP & FTP).

Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: jay-ford@uiowa.edu, phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-2951
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
Randy,

There are other 2 alternatives of text-based browses that can work.
The first one is my preferred choice over lynx:

pkg_add -r elinks or pkg_add -r links

Alex

using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> writes:

> i am a legit juniper customer. i want to get and install a new
> image in a router in a pop. but i am at home on a (relatively)
> slow dsl link. i don't want to spend an hour slurping it from
> https://download.juniper.net/software/junos/...,

Be happy that you can download yourself at all. That's a luxury not
all legit juniper customers enjoy.

</rant>

Robert
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
On 20 Jun 2003, Robert Kiessling wrote:

> Be happy that you can download yourself at all. That's a luxury not all
> legit juniper customers enjoy.

Ack that. Would love to get comment from Juniper as why this is. We've
paid for software updates and support, why shouldn't we have direct access
to them?

Are we paying less for our support contracts in Europe?

Rich
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 01:35:11PM +0100, variable@ednet.co.uk wrote:
| On 20 Jun 2003, Robert Kiessling wrote:
|
| > Be happy that you can download yourself at all. That's a luxury not all
| > legit juniper customers enjoy.
|
| Ack that. Would love to get comment from Juniper as why this is. We've
| paid for software updates and support, why shouldn't we have direct access
| to them?

we won't discuss our access policy here -

pls contact your local sales/customer service rep. to
make sure that you receive appropriate access privileges;

/hannes
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
Why don't you set up a windows box w/ vnc, or a linux box w/ X-window

And log in remotely.

using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net> writes:

> we won't discuss our access policy here -

It's only fair to mention it though, so that people are informed and
are not assuming that Juniper gives them what they would perfectly
naturally expect.

> pls contact your local sales/customer service rep. to
> make sure that you receive appropriate access privileges;

You should know well that this is useless. Juniper does not give
European customers with support contracts direct access to software
images. That's a statement we've repeatedly received.

Robert
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
Hello Randy , I have not found a method other than accessing the
server(s) from a workstation running any decent browser . I have
tried -all- (except the one alex mentioned) command line html
accessors to no avail . One method that would have been nice is
'sftp' what with the ability to set it up to use keys & passwords
it lends itself relatively nicely to the job . Sorry I could not
be of any 'real' help . JimL

>>From: Alex Soares de Moura <alexsm@uol.com.br>
>>pkg_add -r elinks or pkg_add -r links
>>Alex

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> > pkg_add -r lynx-ssl :)
> i already tried that
> # ls -d /var/db/pkg/lynx-*
> /var/db/pkg/lynx-ssl-2.8.4.1c/
> i get password/auth error using the userid/password i use for
> auth to juniper's web site.
> randy
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | P.O. Box 854 | Give me Linux |
| babydr@baby-dragons.com | Coudersport PA 16915 | only on AXP |
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
Wan Lan Man <wanlanman_2000@yahoo.com> writes:

> https://www.juniper.net/registration/register.jsp
>
> The above link seemed straight forward to me and
> worked just fine for my companies contract.

You're probably not in Europe then. We've repeatedly received the
statement that Juniper will not allow this for us, although we have
service contracts. Without any understandable reason, of course.

Robert
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
> Why don't you set up a windows box w/ vnc, or a linux box w/ X-window
> And log in remotely.

in a real pop? you're kidding, right?

randy
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:25:32PM +0100, Robert Kiessling wrote:
| Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net> writes:
|
| > we won't discuss our access policy here -

[ ... ]

| > pls contact your local sales/customer service rep. to
| > make sure that you receive appropriate access privileges;
|
| You should know well that this is useless. Juniper does not give
| European customers with support contracts direct access to software
| images. That's a statement we've repeatedly received.

your assertion is wrong - the majority of my customers has direct access -
you and i know that in your case there are solid reasons why we do not grant
direct access - and those business reasons are clearly
outside of the scope of this _technical_ forum;

/hannes
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
Hello Alexander , I have found that elinks can acquire a url from
either of http: or https: . ie:

elinks "https://download.juniper.net/software/junos/5.7R2.4/jinstall-5.7R2.4-domestic-signed.tgz"

This will ask for your username & passwd & acquire the tarball
After it has retreived all the data in the URL: you'll need to
press ESC f v <enter>

I am still looking for a method within elinks docs & elinks
maillist to allow a more wget like approach . Hth , JimL

using ftp to download [ In reply to ]
https://www.juniper.net/registration/register.jsp

The above link seemed straight forward to me and
worked just fine for my companies contract.

John