Any comments are welcome.

Regards

Jeronimo Diez
ERX High SRP Processor utilization--lots of ICMP-- [ In reply to ]
Jeronimo Diez de Sollano Velazco Aceves:
> Hello
> We have an ERX wit two STM-4 linemodules and 1 4STM1 linemodule. We are
> running BGP full routing and OSPF as iBGP.
> We haver the SRP processor of the ERX about 60 %.
> We can see a lot of ICMP but when we do the icmptraffic debug then we can
> see that the addresses that answer the ICMP requests are the Broadcast
> address of the point to point links with other routers.

Watch your traffic for (D)DoS SYN-attacks, just had a attack here
driving the CPU up to loads of 70-80% sustained.

--
Roy-Magne Mo
ERX High SRP Processor utilization--lots of ICMP-- [ In reply to ]
On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 02:10 PM, Roy-Magne Mo wrote:

> Jeronimo Diez de Sollano Velazco Aceves:
>> Hello
>> We have an ERX wit two STM-4 linemodules and 1 4STM1 linemodule. We
>> are
>> running BGP full routing and OSPF as iBGP.
>> We haver the SRP processor of the ERX about 60 %.
>> We can see a lot of ICMP but when we do the icmptraffic debug then we
>> can
>> see that the addresses that answer the ICMP requests are the Broadcast
>> address of the point to point links with other routers.
>
> Watch your traffic for (D)DoS SYN-attacks, just had a attack here
> driving the CPU up to loads of 70-80% sustained.
>
> --
> Roy-Magne Mo

You are probably seeing a "smurf" attack or other attack that relies on
broadcast traffic. You should have 'no ip directed-broadcast' on the
ERX. It may already exist in the default configuration, so do a 'show
config include-defaults | inc directed' to verify. Also I would have ip
local policies applied on each interface to restrict traffic with a
destination of the SRP ip interfaces.

Truman
ERX High SRP Processor utilization--lots of ICMP-- [ In reply to ]
Truman Boyes:
> You are probably seeing a "smurf" attack or other attack that relies on
> broadcast traffic. You should have 'no ip directed-broadcast' on the
> ERX. It may already exist in the default configuration, so do a 'show
> config include-defaults | inc directed' to verify. Also I would have ip
> local policies applied on each interface to restrict traffic with a
> destination of the SRP ip interfaces.

No, the traffic was directed for a customer behind the router, no
traffic was directed at either broadcast adresses or the routers local
addresses. The router is running as a route reflector with full
bgp-table, so it should also have a good grasp of the world.

The only process that seemed suspiciously high, was ip1 - but not
alarming.

What exactly caused isn't clear to me right now, but the attack is still
going on with about 6k packets/second being dropped at our edges - so I
could always provoke it once more if wanted to.

--
Roy-Magne Mo