Mailing List Archive

M10 and Cisco 2950
HI£¬guys

JUNIPER FE port connected to CISCO 2950

JUNIPER config£º

fe-0/1/3 {
description "trunk to SWITCH Fe0/24 via FE ";
vlan-tagging;
speed 100m;
link-mode full-duplex;
unit 1 {
description "native vlan ";
vlan-id 1;
family inet {
address xxxx.5.15.xxx/30;
}
}
inactive: unit 101 {
description "to CUSTOMER #1 ";
vlan-id 101;
family inet {
address xxxxxxxxxxxx/30;
}
}
unit 102 {
description "to CUSTOMER #2 ";
vlan-id 102;
family inet {
address xxxxxxxxxxxx/30;
}
}
}

CISCO 2950 config£º
interface FastEthernet0/1
description VPN to CUSTOMER #1
switchport access vlan 101
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
description VPN to CUSTOMER #2
switchport access vlan 102
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
description trunk to JUNIPER fe-0/1/3
switchport trunk native vlan 2
switchport mode trunk
no ip address
duplex full
speed 100
no cdp enable
!

In JUNIPER£¬monitor interface fe-0/1/3, found following £º
Error statistics:
Input errors: 0 [0]
Input drops: 0 [0]
Input framingerrors: 0 [0]
Policed discards: 24642 [1]
L3 incompletes: 0 [0]
L2 channel errors: 0 [0]
L2 mismatch timeouts: 206529 [10]
Carrier transitions: 0 [0]
Output errors: 0 [0]
Output drops: 0 [0]
Aged packets: 0 [0]

Could you pls tell me what policed discards is?
How to solve the problem?

What is L2 mismatch timeouts? what to cause it?

I personally think it is misconfig between cisco and juniper, 2950 should change the config.

Pls help with this matter.

Regards

¡¡¡¡

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
M10 and Cisco 2950 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 05:02:56PM +0800, Michael Feng wrote:
> Could you pls tell me what policed discards is?

Frames which are discarded in layer 2 ingress. CDP is a usual
reason.

Regards,
Daniel
M10 and Cisco 2950 [ In reply to ]
> Could you pls tell me what policed discards is?
> How to solve the problem?

The policed discards counter is more than likely incrementing from the native vlan 2 setting on the 2950 which would send frames from that vlan out untagged.

When you set the FE interface for vlan-tagging mode on a M/T series box, it only recognizes tagged frames. Non tagged frames will increment the policed discards counter since they are not recognized as valid for the current interface setting.

> What is L2 mismatch timeouts? what to cause it?

Usually it's runts (short frames), or any malformed frame that can't be recognized.

One side could have been in full duplex and the other could be in half duplex (or was, is this still incrementing?) If this is the reason, this is usually due to one side (or both) having problems with auto-negotiation. Looks like both sides are hard set so if this counter is not incrementing anymore, that may have been the issue.

-Julian
M10 and Cisco 2950 [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

Native vlans on Juniper and catalyst doesn't match?

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Safronov
M10 and Cisco 2950 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 07:46:27PM +0400, Dmitry Safronov wrote:
> Native vlans on Juniper and catalyst doesn't match?

Juniper has no concept of a "native VLAN". With JunOS, _all_
VLANs on a vlan-tagging enabled interface are being tagged.

Best regards,
Daniel