Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: jay-ford@uiowa.edu, phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-2951
used Juniper parts [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:48:25AM -0500, Jay Ford wrote:
> I'd like to hear from folks who have ventured into the world of used Juniper
> parts. Information about any experience (good or bad) will be appreciated:
> o specific parts to avoid
> o sources/vendors which are decent or those to avoid
> o other things to watch out for

I've actually been trying to sell a couple pieces of gear (FEB and an
ATM-1 PIC), but haven't found someone who will actually buy them yet.
eBay may be the next option. So if anyone has any details in the world
of the selling market, details there would be useful also.

John
used Juniper parts [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:48:25AM -0500, Jay Ford wrote:
> I'd like to hear from folks who have ventured into the world of used
> Juniper parts. Information about any experience (good or bad) will be
> appreciated:
> o specific parts to avoid
> o sources/vendors which are decent or those to avoid
> o other things to watch out for

* Support contracts
* Software licensing
* Misrepresentations or misunderstandings by uninformed sellers ("IP 1,
whats that?")
* Availability of specific parts
* Having moved about two dozen RE's in one form or another, I can tell you
that the internal compact-flash's are broken in one way or another on
about half of them. I'm not sure if it's because they've been sitting in
storage for so long before they get from bankrupt company to the open
market, but you can guarantee a fresh used RE will fsck with errors, and
every so often you get some you just can't fix no matter how much you
dd over it and newfs it.
* For a while Juniper way actively having ebay squash auctions claiming
non-transferable software, even on PIC-only auctions. Fortunately that
seems to have stopped, and there is now a healthy market for used gear.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
used Juniper parts [ In reply to ]
I've had good luck with networkhardware.com - just be careful you are
getting exactly the part you want (e.g. "FPC" instead of "FPC-E", same
thing for the PICs) - even when there is a mixup, they've taken care of us.

Some of the equipment is arriving with tiny "Property of Cable & Wireless"
stickers on the bottom, so you can figure where it came from ;-)

Kevin

used Juniper parts [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 09:04:54PM -0400, sigma@smx.pair.com wrote:
> Some of the equipment is arriving with tiny "Property of Cable & Wireless"
> stickers on the bottom

This would actually surprise me extremely.

Regards,
Daniel
used Juniper parts [ In reply to ]
I don't mean to upset anyone, but I can read the stickers pretty clearly.
I'm not losing my mind just yet.

Kevin

used Juniper parts [ In reply to ]
> I don't mean to upset anyone, but I can read the stickers pretty clearly.
> I'm not losing my mind just yet.
>
> Kevin
>
> > On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 09:04:54PM -0400, sigma@smx.pair.com wrote:
> > > Some of the equipment is arriving with tiny "Property of Cable & Wireless"
> > > stickers on the bottom
> >
> > This would actually surprise me extremely.

I heard rumors a while ago the CW was using M series to replace frame
relay infrastructure on the way to their next big thing; i.e. think
all the CCC and Frame features in JUNOS.

That CW might be disposing of older equipment wouldn't be too
surprising.

-Rob