Why aren't B propagating the better route learned from E to router A?

Regards,
Cheeyong
BGP Route Reflector [ In reply to ]
Check the "inactive reason" field on router A ( show route
<prefix-in-question> extensive ).

- Kisito

BGP Route Reflector [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:11:07PM +0800, Tay Chee Yong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have 2 route reflectors (Router A and Router B).
> 2 RR clients (C and D)
>
> Both C and D are the clients of A and B
> A and B are full mesh
>
> Both A and B are using the same cluster id, 1.1.1.1
>
> I then add router E to be client of B only, with some routes filtering.
>
> Strangely, router A is not selecting the better route from B learned from
> E, instead router A is registering the better route from its learned eBGP
> peer.
>
> Why aren't B propagating the better route learned from E to router A?

A router reflector will discard all routes learned with it's own cluster
id, see rfc2796 section 7, which say

CLUSTER_LIST

Cluster-list is a new optional, non-transitive BGP attribute of Type
code 10. It is a sequence of CLUSTER_ID values representing the
reflection path that the route has passed. It is encoded as follows:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3
| Attr. Flags |Attr. Type Code| Length | value ...

Where Length is the number of octets.

When a RR reflects a route, it must prepend the local CLUSTER_ID to
the CLUSTER_LIST. If the CLUSTER_LIST is empty, it must create a new
one. Using this attribute an RR can identify if the routing
information is looped back to the same cluster due to mis-
configuration. If the local CLUSTER_ID is found in the cluster-list,
the advertisement received should be ignored.

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456

BGP Route Reflector [ In reply to ]
I think the issue here is the fact that A and B have the same cluster ID.
When router B learns a route from its client (router E), on reflecting the
route, it attaches the clusterID to the route and sends it to other clients
and Router A. However, when router A gets the route it sees that it came
from the same clusterID therefore it drops it. You can verify this by
looking at routes you are advertising to Router A from B. Also check
whether A is even installing it into the routing table. I would suspect
that it is not due to router A thinking that the route it just received is
looped and discarding it before it is even processed into the RIB-IN-ADJ
table. You can also overcome this issue (if in fact it is the issue) by
changing the cluster-id on Router A. Please let me know the outcome.
Thanks.

Thanks,

Mario Puras
SoluNet Technical Support
Mailto: mpuras@solunet.com
Direct: (321) 309-1410
888.449.5766 (USA) / 888.SOLUNET (Canada)

BGP Route Reflector [ In reply to ]
Cheeyong,

I concur with Jesper, this is due to the same cluster-id on A and B. You can
fix this situation by either making the cluster-id different on A and B or
by fully meshing the clients.

Hope this help.

BGP Route Reflector [ In reply to ]
Hi Jesper,

Thanks for your pointer! We will do the necessary changes to resolve the
problem.

Regards,
Cheeyong

: > I have 2 route reflectors (Router A and Router B).
: > 2 RR clients (C and D)
: >
:
: A router reflector will discard all routes learned with it's own cluster
: id, see rfc2796 section 7, which say
:
: CLUSTER_LIST
:
: Cluster-list is a new optional, non-transitive BGP attribute of Type
: code 10. It is a sequence of CLUSTER_ID values representing the
: reflection path that the route has passed. It is encoded as follows:
:
: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3
BGP Route Reflector [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

Thanks for all the solutions and advise. Greatly appreciated it.

Cheeyong