Hello!

Is there anyone out there who knows if JunOs has support for what Cisco call
QPPB?
I'm trying to classify packets to Assured Forwarding class and rewrite TOS
field when a packet comes in to a destination that has a certain BGP
community.

Regards

//Alexander
Classify packets with BGP community policy [ In reply to ]
Alexander,
please look at this userguide under the section "override the
input classification"
where you configure any policy and the actions is class

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos57/swconfig57-interfaces/download/swconfig57-interfaces.pdf

thanks
Josef

Classify packets with BGP community policy [ In reply to ]

Hi Josef,

I think this would actually be (at least partially) under Policy Framework,
rather than Interfaces and CoS. Take a look at
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos57/swconfig57-policy/htm
l/policy-framework-config8.html#1017021. This table defines policy actions
including "then class class-name". The actual definition of class-name
would be configured under class-of-service which *is* documented under
Interfaces and CoS. *In addition* to this, you'd need to define a rewrite
rule (which is also documented under Interfaces and CoS) so that all packets
leaving via a particular output queue have the inet-precedence rewritten to
a particular value. If you don't do this, even though the packet is placed
in a particular queue and receives particular treatment based upon the
community attached to that route at ingress, you won't give it the same (AF)
treatment across your network.

Regards,

Guy

Classify packets with BGP community policy [ In reply to ]
At 11:58 AM 4/15/2003, Guy Davies wrote:

>Hi Josef,
>
>I think this would actually be (at least partially) under Policy Framework,
>rather than Interfaces and CoS.

yes... those are the kind of features which have there right on
being explained in each of them. I just thought the most of them
which is not obvious is in the interface book and there are pointers
in the policy book which points you to the interface configuration.
I do miss the pointer the other way around though. I will ask the
doc groups to add a pointer so it clears any ambiguities.

thanks
Josef

SV: Classify packets with BGP community policy [ In reply to ]
Hi!

Thank you for quick respons!
I got the following config from the docs, but I must have missed something
because it does not ovveride the classification.

show class-of-service
forwarding-policy {
class biz {
classification-override {
forwarding-class assured-forwarding;

classifiers {
inet-precedence incoming {
forwarding-class best-effort {
loss-priority low code-points 000;
loss-priority high code-points 001;
}
forwarding-class assured-forwarding {
loss-priority low code-points 010;
loss-priority high code-points 011;

interfaces {
all {
scheduler-map test;
unit * {
classifiers {
inet-precedence incoming;

show policy-options
policy-statement checkcom {
from community qppb;
then class biz;
}
community qppb members 10:300;

show routing-options
forwarding-table {
export checkcom;

Regards
//Alexander

?mne: RE: [j-nsp] Classify packets with BGP community policy

Classify packets with BGP community policy [ In reply to ]

Hi Alexander,

You've not configured a rewrite rule. Therefore, your packets should
be going into the correct queue but, when they get to the next hop,
they'll still have the original classification. I'm assuming, of
course, that this is putting the packets into the relevant queue
(although there's no sign of any queue definitions for
assured-forwarding in your config.

Regards,

Guy

SV: Classify packets with BGP community policy [ In reply to ]
Hi Guy!

Of course! I missed the rewrite rule.
Now it works! Thanks alot!

Cheers