Mailing List Archive

As-path filtering via policy
Hi all. I am up late studying and perhaps I am not seeing this
correctly but here it goes:

I have a customer router, call it C1, its AS# is 11. Because I do not
have any other routers to advertise this route (among other things) so
that it shows up in my local router with a different as-path, I have it
configured to advertise the route 200.200.0.0/23 and ADD the as-path "99
66" before adding the local AS # which is 11. C1 also has other routes
being advertised to my local router whos AS path have not been modified.

My local router that is peering to C1 has the following policies and bgp
configuration:

[edit]
lab@SJ-R1#
policy-statement EBGP-Import-0 {
term Customer-AS-Only {
from as-path C1;
then next policy;
}
}
policy-statement EBGP-Import-1 {
<snip>

as-path C1 ".* 11";

[edit]
lab@SJ-R1# show protocols bgp
log-updown;
group Customer-Peer {
type external;
import [ EBGP-Import-0 EBGP-Import-1 ];
export EBGP-Export;
multipath;
neighbor 10.200.8.1 {
peer-as 11;
}
}

Now, I am trying to filter out any routes that do not originate in AS
11. I define the as-path for which I am filtering on but the end
results are not what I expect, here it is:

[edit]
lab@SJ-R1# run show route protocol bgp 200.200/23 detail

inet.0: 29 destinations, 29 routes (25 active, 0 holddown, 5 hidden)
+ = Active Route, - = Last Active, * = Both

200.200.0.0/23 (1 entry, 1 announced)
*BGP Preference: 170/-101<<<<<<< NOTICE THAT IT IS ACTIVE
Source: 10.200.8.1
Nexthop: 10.200.8.1 via fxp2.0, selected
State: <Active Ext>
Local AS: 77 Peer AS: 11
Age: 30:43
Task: BGP_11.10.200.8.1+1025
Announcement bits (3): 0-KRT 4-BGP.0.0.0.0+179 5-Resolve
inet.0
AS path: 11 99 66 I <<<<<<<< NOTICE THE AS-PATH
Communities: 77:200
Localpref: 100
Router ID: 192.168.0.1

[edit]
lab@SJ-R1#

So as you can see, the route is still being accepted. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks,

Mario
As-path filtering via policy [ In reply to ]
Mario,

Try adding a 'then reject' in your first policy

> lab@SJ-R1#
> policy-statement EBGP-Import-0 {
> term Customer-AS-Only {
> from as-path C1;
> then next policy;
> }
then reject <<<<<< or you can put this inside
another term
> }

Without this, the default action is 'accept', so any route that doesn't
match your from 'as-path C1' gets accepted.

Regards,
Cliff

As-path filtering via policy [ In reply to ]
> > lab@SJ-R1#
> > policy-statement EBGP-Import-0 {
> > term Customer-AS-Only {
> > from as-path C1;
> > then next policy;
> > }
> then reject <<<<<< or you can put this inside
> another term
> > }
>
> Without this, the default action is 'accept', so any route that doesn't
> match your from 'as-path C1' gets accepted.

Basically the default import policy for EBGP learned routes is accept.