Mailing List Archive

replacing juniper hard drive, smartd problems
We have a M20 RE that is not under any kind of service contract,
with a failing hard drive. I replaced the drive with another
drive that is identical (manufacturer, model series) - except the
size of the drive. All partition tables/data were copied off the
old drive with no problem.

Everything is working great, except smartd is now complaining that
the new drive is not smart capable:

Mar 20 17:20:14 smartd[526]: smartd: not qualified on model IC25N030ATDA04-0
Mar 20 17:20:14 smartd[526]: SMART capable device not found

I have indeed verified that (a) the drive is smart capable, and
(b) that smart is enabled on the drive.

Questions-

Does juniper hardcode drive model numbers into smartd or otherwise make
it so it would not work on a different drive?

Anyone have any experience with smartd that could point me in the
right direction to get this resolved?

I suppose I could leave it complaining or disable smartd, but I
would really rather fix it and have it working 100%

thanks
bill