Mailing List Archive

VPN query
Hey all,

Heres a weird one.. when I was on my vpn course not so many moons ago, I
confirmed that the commands ping (address) routing-instance (vpn) and ping
vpn-interface (interface) can be used interchangeably, and perform the same
function.

Ok, so I tried to ping one of my interfaces that belongs to my VRF using the
routing-instance command: "ping 10.0.0.1 routing-instance vpn-a" and dont
get a reply at all !

But, when I use the vpn-interface command : "ping 10.0.0.1 vpn-interface
ae0.100" , I get a response ? Now can anyone shed some light on this, also
please note that the interface i'm pinging is the local interface and NOT
the customer end. I guess these commands do not have the same
functionality...

Regards,

Umar.

Umar Ahmed
mailto:umar@umarahmed.co.uk

Equinox Converged Solutions Limited.
Tel: +44 (0)1252 405 600
http://www.equinoxsolutions.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This message is intended solely for the use of the Individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message. All information or opinions expressed in this message and/or any attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Equinox Converged Solutions Limited.
Equinox Converged Solutions Limited accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from its use, including damage from virus.
VPN query [ In reply to ]
there was a bug in JUNOS where you couldnt ping the local interfaces. if you
have access to their Problem Report cache, do a search there. The fault has
been fixed in a recent release of the code base.

The problem report is PR 24386, the problem is fixed in 5.2R3; 5.3R2; 5.4R1;
5.5R1

regards,
Hasanga

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
VPN query [ In reply to ]
Hasanga,

thanks for the information, but I'm using 5.4R1. I will raise a Tac case and
see what happens.

rgds,

Umar.