Mailing List Archive

Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics
Hi People,

I had implemented the Prefix-Specific Action on our Juniper routers, and it
working well. However, I am unable to view the statistics of how many
packets/bytes had been policed/discard by the policer.

My configuration is as follows:

[edit firewall]
user@router# show
policer rate-256k {
if-exceeding {
bandwidth-limit 256k;
burst-size-limit 32k;
}
then discard;
}
family inet {
prefix-action police-per-prefix {
policer rate-256k;
count;
subnet-prefix-length 21;
destination-prefix-length 32;
}
}

[edit firewall filter <inbound-acl>]
user@router# show

term shape {
from {
destination-address {
192.168.0.0/21;
}
protocol tcp;
}
then {
sample;
prefix-action police-per-prefix;
}
}

However, using the command "show firewall prefix-action-stats" is unable to
produce any statistics.

user@router# run show firewall prefix-action-stats filter inbound-acl
prefix-action police-per-prefix
Filter: inbound-acl

Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks.

Regards,
Cheeyong
Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics [ In reply to ]
Cheeyong,
The correct syntax should be
> run show firewall prefix-action-stats filter inbound-acl prefix-action
police-per-prefix-shape
You need append the term name to the prefix-acton with "-" in order to view
the policer counters for that term. Let me know if it works. Thanks.
--John

Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Thanks! It works.

user@router> show firewall prefix-action-stats filter inbound-acl
prefix-action police-per-prefix-shape
Filter: inbound-acl
Counters:
Name Bytes Packets
police-per-prefix-shape-0 6796 132
police-per-prefix-shape-1 8420 170

Regards,
Cheeyong

:
: My configuration is as follows:
:
: [edit firewall]
: user@router# show
: policer rate-256k {
: if-exceeding {
: bandwidth-limit 256k;
: burst-size-limit 32k;
: }
: then discard;
: }
[...]
: Filter: inbound-acl
:
Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Some questions.

What does the number 0-65535 behind the name/policer means? Does it refer to the
policer for the particular prefix? How do I know which policer is mean for which
/32 address?

Does the values here refers to the number of bytes/packets within the 256k
shaping, or number of bytes/packets being discard.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Regards,
Cheeyong

Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics [ In reply to ]
It represents the counter number for the corresponding prefixes.
The maximal PSA counter can be displayed is 2^16=65536 (0-65535).
It is one-to-one mapping to the host in ascending order. See
the userdoc in detail. Thanks.
--John

Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Would appreciate if you could direct me to the URL where is userdoc resides in.
Can't seems to find it on Juniper website.

Thanks again.

[...]

: :
: : My configuration is as follows:
: :
: : [edit firewall]
: : user@router# show
: : policer rate-256k {
: : if-exceeding {
: : bandwidth-limit 256k;
: : burst-size-limit 32k;
: : }
: : then discard;
: : }
[...]
: : produce any statistics.
: :
: : user@router# run show firewall prefix-action-stats filter inbound-acl
: : prefix-action police-per-prefix
: : Filter: inbound-acl
: :
: : Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks.
: :
: : Regards,
: : Cheeyong
: : _______________________________________________
: :
:
Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics [ In reply to ]
Cheeyong,
Here is link for the explanation:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos56/swconfig56-policy/htm
l/policer-config10.html

Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

I had read this document before. However, there is no document that explains how
to interpret the statistics, which I don't understand how does it shows that
each prefixes had been applied to the policer specified.

I had just modified a little bit on my configuration, to add more /12 addresses
to be policed, for my explanation.

[edit firewall]
user@router# show
policer rate-256k {
if-exceeding {
bandwidth-limit 256k;
burst-size-limit 32k;
}
then discard;
}
family inet {
prefix-action police-per-prefix {
policer rate-256k;
count;
subnet-prefix-length 21;
destination-prefix-length 32;
}
}

[edit firewall filter <inbound-acl>]
user@router# show
term shape {
from {
destination-address {
192.168.0.0/21;
192.168.8.0/21;
192.168.16.0/21;
192.168.24.0/21;
192.168.32.0/21;
192.168.40.0/21;
192.168.48.0/21;
}
protocol tcp;
}
then {
sample;
prefix-action police-per-prefix;
}
}

The "show firewall prefix-action-stats filter inbound-acl prefix-action
police-per-prefix-shape" is as follows.

The total number of policers generated for the above term should be
7 class C x 8 x 255 = 14280

But why is it that the total number of policers are only 2047? Does it means
that not every /32 address has a policer associated to it?

The other question is how is each individual /32 addresses being represented?
Does it means that police-per-prefix-shape-1 represent 192.168.0.1 and
police-per-prefix-shape-256 will represent 192.168.1.1?

Filter: inbound-acl
Counters:
Name Bytes Packets
police-per-prefix-shape-0 6600 129
police-per-prefix-shape-1 10468 209
police-per-prefix-shape-2 301652286 342586
police-per-prefix-shape-3 24339459 36186
<snips>
police-per-prefix-shape-2045 138663368 104232
police-per-prefix-shape-2046 538995936 478640
police-per-prefix-shape-2047 1600 28
Policers:
Name Packets
police-per-prefix-shape-0 0
police-per-prefix-shape-1 0
police-per-prefix-shape-2 9509
police-per-prefix-shape-3 119
<snips>
police-per-prefix-shape-2045 7088
police-per-prefix-shape-2046 12662
police-per-prefix-shape-2047 0

Thanks again.

Regards,
Cheeyong

[...]
: : : Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 7:48 AM
: : : To: juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net
: : : Subject: [j-nsp] Viewing Prefix-Specific Action statistics
: : :
: : :
: : : Hi People,
: : :
: : : I had implemented the Prefix-Specific Action on our Juniper routers, and
: : it
: : : working well. However, I am unable to view the statistics of how many
: : : packets/bytes had been policed/discard by the policer.
: : :
: : : My configuration is as follows:
: : :
: : : [edit firewall]
: : : user@router# show
: : : policer rate-256k {
: : : if-exceeding {
: : : bandwidth-limit 256k;
: : : burst-size-limit 32k;
: : : }
: : : then discard;
: : : }
[...]
: : : produce any statistics.
: : :
: : : user@router# run show firewall prefix-action-stats filter inbound-acl
: : : prefix-action police-per-prefix
: : : Filter: inbound-acl
: : :
: : : Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks.
: : :
: : : Regards,
: : : Cheeyong
: : :