* 112 Hills Road Fax +44 1223 303 005
* Cambridge CB2 1PQ
D A N T E United Kingdom
Unicast RPF [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:34:17PM +0000, Rob Walton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At present i am currently looking into implementing uRPF within
> or network ('GEANT'), as such we would like to roll the feature out
> first in a non-traffic effecting role so that we can observe the
> implications it would have on the router and production traffic. Our
> intention is to set the policy so that we accept and log all traffic
> that fails the check so that we can work on negating legitimate
> traffic that is taking an asymmetric path. Is it possible to log
> the flows of traffic that fail the check rather than each packet
> individually?

Not to my knowledge, but that's trivial to get from the logged
information.

> Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

intefaces {
foo {
unit 0 {
family inet {
rpf-check fail-filter allow-and-log;
}
}
}
}
firewall {
family inet {
filter allow-and-log {
term allow-and-log {
then {
log;
accept;
}
}
}
}
}

/Jesper
Unicast RPF [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:34:17PM +0000, Rob Walton wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > At present i am currently looking into implementing uRPF within
> > or network ('GEANT'), as such we would like to roll the feature out
> > first in a non-traffic effecting role so that we can observe the
> > implications it would have on the router and production traffic. Our
> > intention is to set the policy so that we accept and log all traffic
> > that fails the check so that we can work on negating legitimate
> > traffic that is taking an asymmetric path. Is it possible to log
> > the flows of traffic that fail the check rather than each packet
> > individually?
>
> Not to my knowledge, but that's trivial to get from the logged
> information.
>
> > Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> intefaces {
> foo {
> unit 0 {
> family inet {
> rpf-check fail-filter allow-and-log;
> }
> }
> }
> }

You forgot the stetement:

routing-options {
forwarding-table {
unicast-reverse-path active-paths;
}
}

(or 'feasible-paths'), I think ?

> firewall {
> family inet {
> filter allow-and-log {
> term allow-and-log {
> then {
> log;
> accept;
> }
> }
> }
> }
> }
>
> /Jesper

Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."
Unicast RPF [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 06:02:10PM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:34:17PM +0000, Rob Walton wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > At present i am currently looking into implementing uRPF within
> > > or network ('GEANT'), as such we would like to roll the feature out
> > > first in a non-traffic effecting role so that we can observe the
> > > implications it would have on the router and production traffic. Our
> > > intention is to set the policy so that we accept and log all traffic
> > > that fails the check so that we can work on negating legitimate
> > > traffic that is taking an asymmetric path. Is it possible to log
> > > the flows of traffic that fail the check rather than each packet
> > > individually?
> >
> > Not to my knowledge, but that's trivial to get from the logged
> > information.
> >
> > > Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > intefaces {
> > foo {
> > unit 0 {
> > family inet {
> > rpf-check fail-filter allow-and-log;
> > }
> > }
> > }
> > }
>
> You forgot the stetement:
>
> routing-options {
> forwarding-table {
> unicast-reverse-path active-paths;
> }
> }
>
> (or 'feasible-paths'), I think ?

That is the equivalent of

interfaces {
foo {
unit 0 {
family inet {
rpf-check fail-filter allow-and-log;
mode [ loose | strict ];
}
}
}
}

strict is the default an equivalent with your version using
active-paths, loose mode is your version with feasible-paths

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456
Senior network engineer @ AS3292, TDC