Mailing List Archive

rpd crash
Ok so, I have been asked to pass this little problem along from a friend
with an M10 and no support contract.

It seems every 2 minutes or so, rpd crashes with the following assertion:

rpd[737]: RPD_ASSERT: Assertion failed rpd[737]: file
"../../../../../src/juniper/usr.sbin/rpd/bgp/bgp_rt.c", line 3620:
"!bgpg_all_sync(bgp)"

The temporary fix is to disable BGP peers which send full transit feeds
(not accepting the routes doesn't help, the sessions have to be completely
disabled). It originally started when someone *cough* pulled a PIC without
halting it properly, but it has persisted across reboots, power-offs,
reseats, etc. I thought I had managed to clear it a couple months ago, by
disabling BGP for a few minutes and then reenabling, but after a reboot it
seems to have come back.

My guess is that there is a ghost interface still being looked at (though
why the BGP code would be checking interfaces is beyond me), so if anyone
has any suggestions on how to clear that sucker out I'm all ears.
Otherwise, maybe someone with access to the source could tell me more
precisely what is causing that crash.

Thanks.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
rpd crash [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:27:10AM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> Ok so, I have been asked to pass this little problem along from a friend
> with an M10 and no support contract.
>
> It seems every 2 minutes or so, rpd crashes with the following assertion:
>
> rpd[737]: RPD_ASSERT: Assertion failed rpd[737]: file
> "../../../../../src/juniper/usr.sbin/rpd/bgp/bgp_rt.c", line 3620:
> "!bgpg_all_sync(bgp)"

Which JunOS version ?

We saw something similar on 5.4R2 - upgrading to 5.4R3 fixed it.

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456

rpd crash [ In reply to ]
At 06:27 AM 11/20/2002, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>Ok so, I have been asked to pass this little problem along from a friend
>with an M10 and no support contract.

better your friend has a support contract ;-)

>It seems every 2 minutes or so, rpd crashes with the following assertion:

please pass the following information onto the support alias.

show chassis hardware
show version
show configuration
file list detail /var/tmp

Look at the following directory /var/tmp
and there will be a core file rpd.core.x

Please upload this file/files to ftp.juniper.net/pub/incoming/
and add the case# to this file which you get
when you send all this information to support@juniper.net

thank you
Josef

rpd crash [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:36:27AM +0100, Jesper Skriver wrote:

> Which JunOS version ?
>
> We saw something similar on 5.4R2 - upgrading to 5.4R3 fixed it.

Was running 5.4 initially, it's currently at 5.5R1.2 with no change.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
rpd crash [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:55:03AM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:36:27AM +0100, Jesper Skriver wrote:
>
> > Which JunOS version ?
> >
> > We saw something similar on 5.4R2 - upgrading to 5.4R3 fixed it.
>
> Was running 5.4 initially, it's currently at 5.5R1.2 with no change.

Which 5.4 release ?

In general, if you want stability go for at patch release, like with any
other software product.

So the lastest 5.3 or 5.4 release ... unless you need feature, which is
only in 5.5

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456