| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | P.O. Box 854 | Give me Linux |
| babydr@baby-dragons.com | Coudersport PA 16915 | only on AXP |
How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:06:15AM -0400, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

> Hello All , JunOS V5.5(don't know about earlier), The config is
> quite capable of allowing the C/C++ comments , ie: /* , // .
> How does one insert/edit/... a "/*" wtyle comment from the CLI ?

annotate

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456
Senior network engineer @ AS3292, TDC Tele Danmark

How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 04:59:33PM +0200, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:06:15AM -0400, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> >
> > Hello All , JunOS V5.5(don't know about earlier), The config is
> > quite capable of allowing the C/C++ comments , ie: /* , // .
> > How does one insert/edit/... a "/*" wtyle comment from the CLI ?
>
> annotate
---end quoted text---

..or, as it was pointed out, like so:

run start shell
su -
vi /config/juniper.conf
^D
^D
rollback
commit

"annotate" is notoriously annoying when one needs to comment on many things
at once, because it requires to descend into parent config level to comment
on a child element.

;)

SY,
--
CCNP, CCDP (R&S) Dmitri E. Kalintsev
CDPlayer@irc Network Architect @ connect.com.au
How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 02:19:32AM +0200, Dmitri Kalintsev wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 04:59:33PM +0200, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:06:15AM -0400, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello All , JunOS V5.5(don't know about earlier), The config is
> > > quite capable of allowing the C/C++ comments , ie: /* , // .
> > > How does one insert/edit/... a "/*" wtyle comment from the CLI ?
> >
> > annotate
> ---end quoted text---
>
> ..or, as it was pointed out, like so:
>
> run start shell
> su -
> vi /config/juniper.conf
> ^D
> ^D
> rollback
> commit
>
> "annotate" is notoriously annoying when one needs to comment on many things
> at once, because it requires to descend into parent config level to comment
> on a child element.

Obviously the above could be quite dangerous should
there be multiple people doing said commands or even
someone doing a interactive configuration change and the above.

If comments are important in your configuration I would
suggest storing them on a central configuration server. Possibly
the same one that you run rancid on. You can easily create
a configuration file on your tftp/rcp/whatnot server and then
do a configure;load override;commit or even a 'load merge' of the
appropriate section of your configuraiton with the requisite
comments in it. (assuming it's new and doesn't cause any
conflicts, etc..)

- jared

ps: if you don't already, you should backup your configs w/ rancid
http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 11:40:38PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Obviously the above could be quite dangerous should
> there be multiple people doing said commands or even
> someone doing a interactive configuration change and the above.

Umm, of course it is. By the way, would "configure exclusive" before
starting shell session help? :)

> ps: if you don't already, you should backup your configs w/ rancid
> http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

We do. :)

SY,