show bgp sum with description ?
Hi Everyone,

Does a command exist, which, when doing for instance a show bgp sum, will show the description I set for each neighbor ?

Would a lot of people want to see this implemented in case not?

What are your thoughts?

Dave Aaldering
ISP-Services

http://www.isp-services.nl/noc/ -- http://www.as24875.net/
show bgp sum with description ? [ In reply to ]
#show bgp neighbor

--- Dave Aaldering <d.aaldering@isp-services.nl>
wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Does a command exist, which, when doing for instance
> a show bgp sum, will show the description I set for
> each neighbor ?
>
> Would a lot of people want to see this implemented
> in case not?
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Dave Aaldering
> ISP-Services
>
> http://www.isp-services.nl/noc/ --
> http://www.as24875.net/

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com
show bgp sum with description ? [ In reply to ]
Sorry, not paying attention

show bgp sum with description ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 07:03:02AM -0700, HHH wrote:
> Sorry, not paying attention

It's okay ;)

I havent had any other reactions, and I did quite a search through the commands, and the only way is to create some kind of external script which puls it out of the config. But that does not give you a realtime view of the neighbor states ;)

Perhaps JunOS XML script or something can make this possible. I think I'll have a look at that. If anyone else comes up with something, please let me know.

Regards,
Met vriendelijke groet,

show bgp sum with description ? [ In reply to ]
I wrote a script that I use to monitor Juniper, Cisco, and formerly
Unisphere routers. It uses simple snmpwalks to gather the info. (time down,
peer address, ASN, reason for being down)

Depending on the box you are running it on and how many devices you are
walking, you will have to adjust the time frame between walks.

I run each of my three scripts (one for each type of device) every 20
minutes from cron, this way the data is never more than 20 minutes old. The
NOC sees the info from a cgi generated webpage that automatically updates
every 60 seconds. They have it running in the corner of one of their
screens, and this has proved to be very effective for them.

If you want more info, write me offlist.

-andrew

show bgp sum with description ? [ In reply to ]
There has been a lot of response on this. I don't have access to an FTP
server, but if someone does, I will email the tar.gz to you, and you could
put it up for anonymous ftp.

The script only requires Perl (5 and above) and a webserver to run (I use
apache with ssl for security)...

-andrew

show bgp sum with description ? [ In reply to ]

http://e.wheel.dk/~jesper/bgpmon.tar.gz

> The script only requires Perl (5 and above) and a webserver to run (I use
> apache with ssl for security)...

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456
Senior network engineer @ AS3292, TDC Tele Danmark

show bgp sum with description ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 01:10:30PM -0500, Elliott, Andrew wrote:

> There has been a lot of response on this. I don't have access to an
> FTP server, but if someone does, I will email the tar.gz to you, and
> you could put it up for anonymous ftp.
>
> The script only requires Perl (5 and above) and a webserver to run (I
> use apache with ssl for security)...

I got inspired, and wrote the below, which basicly does the same, but
all done in perl, run's faster, and which doesn't require a CGI script
to run.

http://e.wheel.dk/~jesper/bgpmon.pl

Hope it's usefull for some ...

/Jesper

show bgp sum with description ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 01:44:21AM +0200, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 01:10:30PM -0500, Elliott, Andrew wrote:
>
> > There has been a lot of response on this. I don't have access to an
> > FTP server, but if someone does, I will email the tar.gz to you, and
> > you could put it up for anonymous ftp.
> >
> > The script only requires Perl (5 and above) and a webserver to run (I
> > use apache with ssl for security)...
>
> I got inspired, and wrote the below, which basicly does the same, but
> all done in perl, run's faster, and which doesn't require a CGI script
> to run.
>
> http://e.wheel.dk/~jesper/bgpmon.pl

Oh yes, it require a SNMP module, for FreeBSD users, it's

/usr/ports/net/p5-SNMP

For the rest it's UCD SNMP, or as it's known now NET-SNMP, available
from

http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/

> Hope it's usefull for some ...

/Jesper