a lot easier if I didnt have to pick optics that I could not change
easily..

Ben
GBIC based GE PIC? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:01:22PM +0200, Ben Buxton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if Juniper is planning on bringing out a GBIC based
> GigEther PIC?

Not to my knowledge, but we have asked for it too.

Perhaps the combined set of people here, would make a sufficient
business case ?

> I've got plenty of spare GBICs and it would make purchase decisions
> a lot easier if I didnt have to pick optics that I could not change
> easily..

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456
Senior network engineer @ AS3292, TDC Tele Danmark

GBIC based GE PIC? [ In reply to ]
> From: Ben Buxton <b.buxton@planettechnologies.nl>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-admin@puck.nether.net
> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:01:22 +0200
>
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if Juniper is planning on bringing out a GBIC based
> GigEther PIC?
> I've got plenty of spare GBICs and it would make purchase decisions
> a lot easier if I didnt have to pick optics that I could not change
> easily..

We asked Juniper about this about a year ago and at that time we were
told that Engineering did not consider the reliability of GBICs to be
acceptable and Juniper would never use them. Of course, if enough
people complain, never may happen a bit more quickly.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: oberman@es.net Phone: +1 510 486-8634